Sign in with
Your question

I3 2100 or Phenom X4 965 with this gaming set

Last response: in CPUs
July 4, 2012 5:32:15 PM

Hi,
I'm building my first pc soon and I'd like you to help me choosing between this two cpu's. I'll be using this pc ONLY for gaming, specially Shogun 2. What's more if you have any other suggestions to help me improving my performance, keeping, at the same time, my budjet (800 euros), i'm all ears. Last but not least, is 500 w enough for this machine?

SET A
Intel core i3 2100 (3,1GHz)
Asus P8H77-V LE
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 2x4GB
Saphire Radeon hd 6950 2GB
Corsair Pc gaming series GS500- 500W
Seagate Barracuda 3.5- 500 GB or Sandisk SSD 120GB (not sure yet)

SET B
AMD Phenom II X4 965 (3,4GHz)
Asus M5A88-V Evo
The other components are just the same

Thanks a lot,
PS: Since I got the idea of building a pc myself I've been reading lots of tom's hardware threads and I have to say its members did the hell of a great job.
July 4, 2012 5:44:38 PM

I just ordered the same Phenom 965 2 days ago. From what research Ive found the Phenom is pretty good for gaming and since my mobo is AM3+ I can upgrade to another budget processor later.

Most recommend intel, just too much $$ for my budget.
July 4, 2012 5:56:00 PM

Oldbutstillatit said:
I just ordered the same Phenom 965 2 days ago. From what research Ive found the Phenom is pretty good for gaming and since my mobo is AM3+ I can upgrade to another budget processor later.

Most recommend intel, just too much $$ for my budget.

I'll buy these stuff from pixmania, there the difference between both is nothing, I wouldn't mind to pay more. But is i3 better?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
July 4, 2012 5:58:29 PM

The AMD has more real cores, so in games like Battlefield 3 multiplayer, the Phenom will pull ahead. The intel CPU has a faster architecture in single threaded apps but as I'm assuming that the Phenom is a black edition, that can be overclocked to make up the gap. So I'd go for the Phenom and make sure that the board is an AM3+ one, so you can upgrade to piledriver or steamroller (according to wikipedia steamroller will be AM3+ still) later on
July 4, 2012 6:03:26 PM

Blahman11 said:
The AMD has more real cores, so in games like Battlefield 3 multiplayer, the Phenom will pull ahead. The intel CPU has a faster architecture in single threaded apps but as I'm assuming that the Phenom is a black edition, that can be overclocked to make up the gap. So I'd go for the Phenom and make sure that the board is an AM3+ one, so you can upgrade to piledriver or steamroller (according to wikipedia steamroller will be AM3+ still) later on

Yes, yes and thanks!
It is a black edition (I forgot to mention) and the board is AM3+.
Once again thanks for your help
a c 93 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
July 4, 2012 6:04:53 PM

Although the AMD is a quad core @ 3.4Ghz the i3's dual core + hyperthreading @3.1Ghz, the i3 will outpace the AMD.

Be aware, the i3 2100 is not a cpu to overclock, as it is multiplier locked and has the bad habit of corrupting data when you push the BCLK past 103.
a b à CPUs
July 4, 2012 6:11:43 PM

go with the phenom, battlefield 3 and max payne 3 are well multi threaded and use all of the cores, so if this trend continues its better if you have more real cores, and that cpu can be overclocked very easily
July 4, 2012 6:14:54 PM

1 for i3, 2 for phenom, for now. (Just counting justified opinions).
Thanks to all.
a b à CPUs
July 4, 2012 6:22:10 PM

I'm supprised more people didn't just blurt out INTEL right away, I would say go for the AMD, it'll perform better in BF3 because of the extra core, as already stated, and because when AMD starts shipping their new CPUs out you'll be able to upgrade to one if you would want to.
July 4, 2012 6:31:23 PM

I've decided to go for the phenom, as I will buy a better fan and a thermal paste with the difference between each prices. This way I will manage a safer overclock, that will provide phenom a definitely better performance than i3. Is this fine?
As to other suggestions to lower the amount of money I will have to pay, keeping the same performance. Any ideas?
July 4, 2012 6:37:34 PM

Go for 4 Cores... Just overclock it when you need more power.
a b à CPUs
July 4, 2012 6:38:51 PM

zm926 said:
I've decided to go for the phenom, as I will buy a better fan and a thermal paste with the difference between each prices. This way I will manage a safer overclock, that will provide phenom a definitely better performance than i3. Is this fine?
As to other suggestions to lower the amount of money I will have to pay, keeping the same performance. Any ideas?

for gaming you could just get 4gb of ram if you really want to lower the price, but i would just leave it as it is
a c 88 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
July 4, 2012 6:48:20 PM

thing is amd is done for upgrade paths. yeah there might be a desktop piledriver but it will only meet the current intel performance wise, while the intel platform keeps growing. the 2100 isnt a good deal especially when you can get a quad i5 2300 for not a lot more something like £20-$30 and will run away from that amd.
yeah i know your budget is tight but choosing some budget ram would save most of that money... some tracer ram for instance is about half the price of the vengeance for exactly the same performance and speed. and at 1.5v max its not gonna require the huge heatsyncs that they currently attach to em.
ASUS P8B75-V is a better board and cheaper. as it allows overclocking when you decide you want to upgrade the cpu... so with a few changes you can see a better cpu is within your reach from the start.
July 4, 2012 6:49:24 PM

megagabobe1 said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... this is the ram i currently have and is perfect for just gaming

I'm not convinced...sorry. I mean won't not occupying all ram in the pc, provide abetter performance? Maybe I'm just saying somthing stupid but plaese give me an answer.
Anyway thanks
a b à CPUs
July 4, 2012 6:58:55 PM

zm926 said:
I'm not convinced...sorry. I mean won't not occupying all ram in the pc, provide abetter performance? Maybe I'm just saying somthing stupid but plaese give me an answer.
Anyway thanks

like i said i would have gone for 8gb if i had the chance to choose again, but i have never used all of the 4gb of ram on any game, its best to have 8 of course
July 4, 2012 7:07:37 PM

HEXiT said:
thing is amd is done for upgrade paths. yeah there might be a desktop piledriver but it will only meet the current intel performance wise, while the intel platform keeps growing. the 2100 isnt a good deal especially when you can get a quad i5 2300 for not a lot more something like £20-$30 and will run away from that amd.
yeah i know your budget is tight but choosing some budget ram would save most of that money... some tracer ram for instance is about half the price of the vengeance for exactly the same performance and speed. and at 1.5v max its not gonna require the huge heatsyncs that they currently attach to em.
ASUS P8B75-V is a better board and cheaper. as it allows overclocking when you decide you want to upgrade the cpu... so with a few changes you can see a better cpu is within your reach from the start.

It took me quite a long time to gather and check all this info. But I eventually came to some conclusions. The quad i5 2300 seems to be an excelent cpu, but as you said, not for my pocket. I will choose a tracer product for RAM, as you told me. However ASUS P8B75-v isn't for me, because I realy need HDMI connections, and it doesn't have them, please correct me if I'm wrong.
Great post, loads of info
Thanks
a c 78 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
July 4, 2012 8:00:38 PM

Phenom II over i3 all day. If playing games is the only thing you ever plan to do with your computer, you should probably buy an Xbox360 instead.
July 4, 2012 10:13:44 PM

ive had both . get the phenom ide say its aboot 10%faster on bf3
a b à CPUs
July 4, 2012 10:20:40 PM

zm926 said:
It took me quite a long time to gather and check all this info. But I eventually came to some conclusions. The quad i5 2300 seems to be an excelent cpu, but as you said, not for my pocket. I will choose a tracer product for RAM, as you told me. However ASUS P8B75-v isn't for me, because I realy need HDMI connections, and it doesn't have them, please correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks

go for the amd build, you wont regret it, that cpu will still last you several years, when a game is multi threaded like max payne 3 http://www.techspot.com/review/537-max-payne-3-performa... there is no a single diference between a 3960k and an athlon II x4, another example http://www.techspot.com/review/458-battlefield-3-perfor...
July 4, 2012 11:11:13 PM

HEXiT said:

jokes on you intell will most likely change their cpu socket when they change their microarchitecture go with the phenom II

zm926 you should probably rethink your gpu I'm assuming this is the gpu your thinking of and its a fine gpu I bought one my self in mid may for my own pc build but that was at $200 and that card is now $250. 2gb 7850s on the other hand can be had for 10 to 15 dollars less and will out preform the 6950 this SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7850 2GB is a good example.
a c 78 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
July 4, 2012 11:25:48 PM

HEXiT said:

That i5-2300 may bench a little bit better than my PII, but it ain't "running away" nowhere, sorry. Theres benches and then theres actual gameplay. You make it sound like $20-30 price difference on a CPU isn't a big deal, thats a substantial price difference, and the reason I will always recommend Phenom IIs over i3s if i5s are out of budget. Especially if that can make the difference between a Radeon 6850 or a 6870 for a gaming build (and it does). In America a 965 BE is $120, and an i5-2300 is $180. Which is a $50 price difference. That can make the difference between a 6870 or a 7850.

As far as upgrade paths, game coding is still pretty primitive, video card is still today and will be for quite some time the most limiting factor when playing games. Buy a computer for what it can do today, and what it maybe able to do in 3 years. Any planning and using words like "future proof" beyond that is folly.

I'll also add that there seems to be an implied misconception on these forums, either by omission of fact, or by perpetuation of misinformation. A stronger CPU cannot make a weaker video card perform better.
a b à CPUs
July 4, 2012 11:43:00 PM

nekulturny said:
That i5-2300 may bench a little bit better than my PII, but it ain't "running away" nowhere, sorry. Theres benches and then theres actual gameplay. You make it sound like $20-30 price difference on a CPU isn't a big deal, thats a substantial price difference, and the reason I will always recommend Phenom IIs over i3s if i5s are out of budget. Especially if that can make the difference between a Radeon 6850 or a 6870 for a gaming build (and it does). In America a 965 BE is $120, and an i5-2300 is $180. Which is a $50 price difference. That can make the difference between a 6870 or a 7850.

As far as upgrade paths, game coding is still pretty primitive, video card is still today and will be for quite some time the most limiting factor when playing games. Buy a computer for what it can do today, and what it maybe able to do in 3 years. Any planning and using words like "future proof" beyond that is folly.

some wise words there, i've seen people (when the phenom ii x4 955 were still available), get that cpu and save some money and get like a 580 instead for gpu, and run everything perfectly, i think we will still have to wait years for applications to mature and to start using the real potential of the cpus
a b à CPUs
July 4, 2012 11:51:06 PM

zm926 said:
Thanks

You need to plug your monitor into your discrete GPU any way so it shouldn't matter if it has one on board or not. Just about any GPU will have one otherwise you can buy DVI to HDMI adapters for, I'm guessing, the standard price of $10 any adapter would cost.
a c 88 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
July 5, 2012 12:11:15 AM

nekulturny said:

I'll also add that there seems to be an implied misconception on these forums, either by omission of fact, or by perpetuation of misinformation. A stronger CPU cannot make a weaker video card perform better.

well considering my speciality on these forums is games i think i know which does perfom better in apps like bf3 the p2 is all well and good but the faster architecture of the i5 2300 makes for a much smoother game.experiance... most of the complaints i see in the games forums about bf3 are amd cpu owners, pretty much a 70/30 split the game seems to work best for midrange with an intel cpu paired with an amd gpu. more often than not its amd cpu paired with amd gpu that will have lag and stutter, while intel and nvidia will have micro stutter and black screens. this isnt definitive its just my observation.. nor am i arguing that your points aint valid. its just i would choose the stronger cpu as a base to build on rather than compromising just to have better gfx which will serve you well enough now but 2 years down the line when he comes to upgrade the p2 will likely start showing bottlenecks due to less single threaded performance. i agree future proofing is no way to build a pc but a strong foundation allows stronger builds over all... the more he spends on his cpu the longer it should last him b4 it needs an upgrade. so in the short to medium term he can go for stronger gfx instead of worrying will his old cpu be able to cope...

as for the socket change. there isnt gonna be a socket change for ivy bridge. the next socket change comes with haswell. also the 2300 is compatible with the 1155 and 1156 sockets. which means he can if he wants upgrade from the second gen sandy to the third gen ivy if he so chooses at a later date...
amd on the other hand have stopped all production of desktop cpus apart from the 960t and bulldozers and if you want a piledriver you will likely have to swap to a new socket like the f1 so how exactly is the joke on me?... :heink: 
a c 78 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
July 5, 2012 12:18:00 AM

Quote:

well considering my speciality on these forums is games i think i know which does perfom better in apps like bf3 the p2 is all well and good but the faster architecture of the i5 2300 makes for a much smoother game.experiance..

Your expertise may be well and good, but unfortunately, I can claim that I'm an expert on economics, that doesn't make so. I'm sorry, with all due respect, you're coming across as arrogant with a "do what I say, without question" mentality.

Quote:
most of the complaints i see in the games forums about bf3 are amd cpu owners, pretty much a 70/30 split the game seems to work best for midrtange with an intel cpu paired with an amd gpu. more often than not its amd cpu paired with amd gpu that will have lag and stutter, while intel and nvidia will have microstutter and black screens. this isnt definative its just my observation..

I have never seen such complaints, I'm not saying they don't exist, I am a sponge. About to start my 2nd year of a 4 year degree in tech. So if you have something to teach, believe it or not, I will listen. I will say that however, I can play the same games on both of the rigs in my sig, and I will say that to both me and my boyfriend, both of us concur that both are equals.

Quote:
as for the socket change. there isnt gonna be a socket change for ivy bridge. the next socket change comes with haswell. also the 2300 is compatible with the 1155 and 1156 sockets.

Ivy Bridge is already out. Yes, I know it works with LGA1155, but no the 2300 doesn't work with LGA 1156. If it does and you can offer a link showing so, again I will read it, and apologize. I know Haswell is going to LGA 1150, with no backward compatibility with 1155.

Quote:
amd on the other hand have stopped all production of desktop cpus apart from the 960t and bulldozers and if you want a piledriver you will likely have to swap to a new socket like the f1 so how exactly is the joke on me?...

AMD has stopped production of Phenom IIs, but several models are still available from both Newegg, and Tigerdirect. Phenom IIs 965 BEs are priced at $120 from Newegg.

960Ts actually, I cannot find in any reputable retail store, I think they are gone. And no, I'm sorry PileDriver is confirmed to be on the AM3+ socket, by both Tom's Hardware and AMD.

a c 105 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
July 5, 2012 12:21:00 AM

i'm still waiting for anyone to prove the phenom II x4 runs BF3 then the i3 other then posting hear say. I have a phenom II x4 in one of my PCs, its a fine CPU even for modern gaming but so is the i3. I have never seen any proof where one is head and shoulders better then the other. the i3 still offers a better upgrade path rather then "pilededriver can't be any worse then bulldozer"
a b à CPUs
July 5, 2012 12:23:34 AM

ct1615 said:
i'm still waiting for anyone to prove the phenom II x4 runs BF3 then the i3 other then posting hear say. I have a phenom II x4 in one of my PCs, its a fine CPU even for modern gaming but so is the i3. I have never seen any proof where one is head and shoulders better then the other. the i3 still offers a better upgrade path rather then "pilededriver can't be any worse then bulldozer"

Agreed, someone should benchmark between the two cpu's, and how does anyone know the next series of CPU's by intel will be a different socket, they haven't announced anything yet have they?
a c 283 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
July 5, 2012 12:24:28 AM

mace200200 said:
how does anyone know the next series of CPU's by intel will be a different socket, they haven't announced anything yet have they?

Haswell will be LGA 1150 from everything that I've read.
a c 78 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
July 5, 2012 12:27:46 AM

ct1615 said:

Okay....

http://bf3blog.com/battlefield-3-system-requirements/

Recommends a quad core.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/10/11/amd_bulldozer...

Now they say that multithreading "may not be enabled yet" on this Beta test, but if it weren't how else would you explain a CPU with known weaker individual core performance outperforming one with known stronger core performance? 8 cores vs 4 cores for Battlefield 3.

And here it is again, using all 8 integer cores of the FX-8.
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1038216217&postcoun...

Addendum:

As far as the upgrade path of an i3. No it doesn't have an upgrade path. You're buying a new mobo this time next year if you want the most current Intel quad core. Now you could say "why not just buy an Ivy Bridge i5 then, they'll still be available". In which case I say to you, don't buy a system until you have enough money to buy one today. Thats just plain irresponsible financial planning, computers go obsolete too fast as it is without injecting your own "planned obsolescence" into the mix because you couldn't wait for another paycheck.
a b à CPUs
July 5, 2012 12:30:54 AM

nekulturny said:
Okay....

Recommends a quad core.

Now they say that multithreading "may not be enabled yet" on this Beta test, but if it weren't how else would you explain a CPU with known weaker individual core performance outperforming one with known stronger core performance? 8 cores vs 4 cores for Battlefield 3.

Well, that pretty much answers it, I would still like to see some FPS benchmarks though to see how much better, this is seriously like the 5th time I've seen someone bring this up.
a c 78 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
July 5, 2012 12:33:53 AM

Yea, there isn't a whole lot in the way of multiplayer benches for some reason. I will say though that there are many benches of Single player, and BF3 campaign just doesn't care what CPU you use. The Phenom II 965 and i3-2100 will perform exactly the same on single player. This brings us back to my previous statement that the GPU is what really matters the most currently more often than not.
a c 184 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
July 5, 2012 12:37:03 AM

biohazard918 said:
jokes on you intell will most likely change their cpu socket when they change their microarchitecture go with the phenom II

Piledriver is the last cpu for socket AM3+ as well. Just like Ivybridge is the last CPU for socket 1155. Unfortuenatly, piledriver won't be giving any performance near ib. :pfff: 
a c 78 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
July 5, 2012 12:38:59 AM

amuffin said:
Piledriver is the last cpu for socket AM3+ as well. Just like Ivybridge is the last CPU for socket 1155. Unfortuenatly, piledriver won't be giving any performance near ib. :pfff: 

I haven't seen anything to confirm that AMD will be done with AM3+ after PileDriver, like I told the Hexit fellow, if you have a link, please share.
a c 105 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
July 5, 2012 12:42:56 AM

nekulturny said:
Yea, there isn't a whole lot in the way of multiplayer benches for some reason. I will say though that there are many benches of Single player, and BF3 campaign just doesn't care what CPU you use. The Phenom II 965 and i3-2100 will perform exactly the same on single player. This brings us back to my previous statement that the GPU is what really matters the most currently more often than not.

+1
a c 105 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
July 5, 2012 12:47:35 AM

nekulturny said:
Okay....

Recommends a quad core.

Addendum:

As far as the upgrade path of an i3. No it doesn't have an upgrade path. You're buying a new mobo this time next year if you want the most current Intel quad core. Now you could say "why not just buy an Ivy Bridge i5 then, they'll still be available". In which case I say to you, don't buy a system until you have enough money to buy one today. Thats just plain irresponsible financial planning, computers go obsolete too fast as it is without injecting your own "planned obsolescence" into the mix because you couldn't wait for another paycheck.

you proved nothing as always when this subject is brought up.

link 1, yes the recommend a quad...WOOHOO

link 2, the FX-8 has equal performance to the i7-2700k....why? is HT supported now by BF3? if so, then wouldn't the i3 be seen as a quad???

link 3, great all "eight" cores are uses. all six cores in the phenom II x6 would also be used yet the i5-2500k with four cores has better performance.
a c 78 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
July 5, 2012 12:50:23 AM

ct1615 said:
you proved nothing as always when this subject is brought up. POST I3 AND PHENOM II X4 SPECS OTHERWISE YOU WASTE OUR TIME WITH IDIOCY!

link 2, the FX-8 has equal performance to the i7-2700k....why? is HT supported now by BF3? if so, then wouldn't the i3 be seen as a quad???

link 3, great all "eight" cores are uses. all six cores in the phenom II x6 would also be used yet the i5-2500k with four cores has better performance.

Wow, if you're going to act like that, then I'm not going to talk to you. Let me know when you can talk like a big boy AND NOT CALL PEOPLE IDIOTS IN ALL CAPS.
a c 283 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
July 5, 2012 12:54:00 AM

nekulturny said:
I haven't seen anything to confirm that AMD will be done with AM3+ after PileDriver, like I told the Hexit fellow, if you have a link, please share.

That made me curious, so I went on a bit of a search and there seems to be a lot of mixed info and nothing official. Some people think that Steamroller will still be on AM3+ and others think that it will be on a new socket.

A new socket wouldn't surprise me though (even if AMD IS usually better about that kind of thing than Intel is).
a c 78 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
July 5, 2012 12:55:19 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
That made me curious, so I went on a bit of a search and there seems to be a lot of mixed info and nothing official. Some people think that Steamroller will still be on AM3+ and others think that it will be on a new socket.

A new socket wouldn't surprise me though (even if AMD IS usually better about that kind of thing than Intel is).

Yea, they might have to if they go full blown APU like Intel. They'll need more pins I think.
a b à CPUs
July 5, 2012 12:55:49 AM

ct1615 said:
you proved nothing as always when this subject is brought up. POST I3 AND PHENOM II X4 SPECS OTHERWISE YOU WASTE OUR TIME WITH IDIOCY!

You misunderstood him, he was just showing that BF3 does indeed use 4 cores, at least for the online multiplayer portion of the game.
a c 105 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
July 5, 2012 12:56:03 AM

nekulturny said:
Wow, if you're going to act like that, then I'm not going to talk to you.

life is good
a c 78 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
July 5, 2012 12:58:23 AM

mace200200 said:
You misunderstood him, he was just showing that BF3 does indeed use 4 cores, at least for the online multiplayer portion of the game.

I don't actually care what he has to say, his signature should have pretty much summed up his intent from the beginning of posting in this thread, but I appreciate that at least you understand what I was trying to show. The benches between i3s and Phenom IIs in BF3 multiplayer, if they exist I cannot find. I have seen posts on these forums from owners of i3s who have complained about the i3 not being up to snuff at higher resolutions, but if I linked those I'd wonder if he'd just say they were secret AMD fanboys who are just trying to make Intel look bad. I'm not going to play that game. :non: 
a c 88 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
July 5, 2012 1:01:19 AM

nekulturny said:
Quote:

well considering my speciality on these forums is games i think i know which does perfom better in apps like bf3 the p2 is all well and good but the faster architecture of the i5 2300 makes for a much smoother game.experiance..

Your expertise may be well and good, but unfortunately, I can claim that I'm an expert on economics, that doesn't make so. I'm sorry, with all due respect, you're coming across as arrogant with a "do what I say, without question" mentality.

Quote:
most of the complaints i see in the games forums about bf3 are amd cpu owners, pretty much a 70/30 split the game seems to work best for midrtange with an intel cpu paired with an amd gpu. more often than not its amd cpu paired with amd gpu that will have lag and stutter, while intel and nvidia will have microstutter and black screens. this isnt definative its just my observation..

I have never seen such complaints, I'm not saying they don't exist, I am a sponge. About to start my 2nd year of a 4 year degree in tech. So if you have something to teach, believe it or not, I will listen. I will say that however, I can play the same games on both of the rigs in my sig, and I will say that to both me and my boyfriend, both of us concur that both are equals.

Quote:
as for the socket change. there isnt gonna be a socket change for ivy bridge. the next socket change comes with haswell. also the 2300 is compatible with the 1155 and 1156 sockets.

Ivy Bridge is already out. Yes, I know it works with LGA1155, but no the 2300 doesn't work with LGA 1156. If it does and you can offer a link showing so, again I will read it, and apologize. I know Haswell is going to LGA 1150, with no backward compatibility with 1155.

Quote:
amd on the other hand have stopped all production of desktop cpus apart from the 960t and bulldozers and if you want a piledriver you will likely have to swap to a new socket like the f1 so how exactly is the joke on me?...

AMD has stopped production of Phenom IIs, but several models are still available from both Newegg, and Tigerdirect. Phenom IIs 965 BEs are priced at $120 from Newegg.

960Ts actually, I cannot find in any reputable retail store, I think they are gone. And no, I'm sorry PileDriver is confirmed to be on the AM3+ socket, by both Tom's Hardware and AMD.

im was not being arrogant i pointed out its my view. you can take it or leave it... i was just pointing out the facts of what i see here every other day...
yes the full blown desktop trinity version will be backwards compatible, but the chances are it will be limited in some way because of it... you can run an am3 cpu on and am2+ board but you dont get the ht speed, comes to mind... i could well be mistaken because there are a lot of rumors and very few facts and although the am3+ compatibility is a fact it may well come with strings. The processor socket format for the desktop variant will be revised from Socket FM1 to Socket FM2. going by another source.
as for the 960t being the only phenom in production, i got that info from here in 1 of the articles about amd abandoning the desktop platform after bulldozers failure to excite.
see no arrogance just information...
oh and socket 1155 was a mistake on my part. i keep forgetting that 1156 is the first gen. i was refering to ivy and sandy compatability... oh look i can admit a mistake too...;)
a c 105 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
July 5, 2012 1:06:58 AM

mace200200 said:

i know BF3 uses mulit cores, that was never a question. the question is how does a fast dual core CPU like the i3 compare to an older quad like the phenom IIx4. in games that are dual core optimized the i3 is clearly better but in many multi core optimized games the i3 stays with the phenom II x4 like below in metro. clearly the athlon II x4 is better then the athlon II x3. clearly a slower phenom II x6 stays ahead of a faster phenom II x4 and clearly the i3 stays with the phenom II x4 955. I have yet to see any such proof for BF3 other then posting other CPUs tests and making theories

a c 111 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
July 5, 2012 1:10:00 AM

If you DO go the 965BE(I had a 955BE and it worked very well) round, do your self and grab a Cooler Master 212+ or evo for cooling. For AMD, this heatsink can face any direction and cools very well for the price.

And... the stock AMD heatsink is loud!!!
a c 78 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
July 5, 2012 1:11:24 AM

Metro 2033 would be a bad example to show a "multicore optimized" game, the FPS rates are all over the place no matter what CPU, or GPU you use, based on my experience with it, I would be daft to use the phrase "optimized" and "Metro 2033" in the same sentence.
a c 105 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
July 5, 2012 1:15:21 AM

nekulturny said:
I have seen posts on these forums from owners of i3s who have complained about the i3 not being up to snuff at higher resolutions,

you just said, above, the GPU is the most important factor not the CPU.

at higher resolutions, the GPU takes more of a burden then the CPU. I'm sure there are plenty of i3 users who do not like their performance at high resolutions. Some may be caused by the CPU, i know BF3 had HT issues at launch, and some of the issues caused by the GPU. What no one seems to know is if you switched to a phenom II x4, are those issues alleviated or are they still present?

a c 88 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
July 5, 2012 1:16:50 AM

im in the uk and there are a few stores with multiple ratings that sell the 960t they are easier to get in Europe as amd is a European based company.
you want links? http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&ds=sh&pq... at least 3 reputable sellers. you only need 1 though...

a c 78 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
July 5, 2012 1:18:38 AM

HEXiT said:
im in the uk and there are a few stores with multiple ratings that sell the 960t they are easier to get in Europe as amd is a European based company.
you want links? http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&ds=sh&pq... at least 3 reputable sellers. you only need 1 though...

I'm an American, if they're still available in the UK, I have no reason to doubt you. However, here in the states, at least with the usual suspects, Newegg, TigerDirect, and MicroCenter, they appear to no longer be available.
a c 105 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
July 5, 2012 1:22:41 AM

nekulturny said:
Metro 2033 would be a bad example to show a "multicore optimized" game, the FPS rates are all over the place no matter what CPU, or GPU you use, based on my experience with it, I would be daft to use the phrase "optimized" and "Metro 2033" in the same sentence.

your opinion is noted as is your personal experience yet the game does prove CPU optimization with actual facts rather then theories and (incorrect) opinions. the athlon II, phenom II, and FX all perform better with more cores.

more benchmark games, crysis 2. athlon II does better with more cores and slower phenom II x6 does better then a faster phenom II x4. i3 still keeps up.

!