Sign in with
Your question

PSU to GPU

Last response: in Components
July 4, 2012 6:56:27 PM

Hello,

I am building my computer for the first time in over 12 years, and im having a small problem... I have a RX-1000AE PSU and a Asus Nvidia GTX 560 TI GPU, and I noticed on the side of the GPU is two power ports. The graphics card came with two 6 pin adapters, but my modular PSU has them as well and they're rounded and nice looking cables. One of the PSU cords has a 6pin/2pin connector and then extending from that is another 6pin/2pin connector on the same cable. Can I just plug both of those into each of the 6pin GPU power ports? Or should I use 2 different cables running from the PSU to the GPU?

More about : psu gpu

a c 76 ) Power supply
July 4, 2012 7:01:04 PM

It's fine to use the two that are paired together.
a c 1108 ) Power supply
July 4, 2012 7:07:29 PM

I would use two different cables running from the PSU to the GPU. That way you are distributing the GPU power load over two virtual +12V rails.

I wouldn't want to be using a Raidmax power supply in the first place.
Related resources
July 4, 2012 7:09:31 PM

Ok I'll try to distribute the power load, as a precaution since it sounds like my PSU isn't up to the task.

Why is Riadmax not a good PSU?
a c 76 ) Power supply
July 4, 2012 7:16:42 PM

ko888 said:
I would use two different cables running from the PSU to the GPU. That way you are distributing the GPU power load over two virtual +12V rails.

I wouldn't want to be using a Raidmax power supply in the first place.

I agree with the Raidmax part of that, of course, but with rail load balancing, I don't really see the need, unless the rails are very low amp.

I have 4 PCIe power connectors, but I still use two on the same cable and haven't ever had an issue. My PSU is single rail though, so load balancing doesn't exist in my situation.
a c 1108 ) Power supply
July 4, 2012 7:17:45 PM

korinzu said:
Ok I'll try to distribute the power load, as a precaution since it sounds like my PSU isn't up to the task.

Why is Riadmax not a good PSU?

Raidmax developed a reputation for exploding power supplies that would take out devices like motherboard or graphics card or hard disk drives when the power supply catastrophically fails.

Their warranty was also a joke.
a b ) Power supply
July 4, 2012 7:26:33 PM

why on earth have you got a 1000W power supply?
July 4, 2012 7:45:23 PM

@13thmonkey:

I plan to have a lot of HDDs as well as SSDs, and wanted spare room for all my fans, liquid cooler, CPU OC, GPU OC, Optical drive(s), and future upgrades to my GPU (aka upgrade/SLI). Using Neweggs and other calcs, 1K W PSU seemed like a good 'safey net'.

@Ko888/DJDeCiBel:

I have already opened and installed this PSU, was a recommended buy from my roommate. What is the typical life expectancy before possible 'catastrophic' PSU failure(s)? If its outside of 2 years, I'm fine with replacing it at a later date. Otherwise I'll have to go buy a new one asap, which is most unfortunate!
a c 76 ) Power supply
July 4, 2012 7:51:10 PM

I think ko knows a little more about life expectancy than I do, so I'll defer to him for that, but honestly, I'd replace that PSU as soon as you can. You won't be running it anywhere near it's max right now, which is good, but the possibility does still exist that it could go "boom" at any moment.
!