Pioneer DVD-ROM

G

I have a problem with my Pioneer 16x DVD-ROM, it freezes my computer to a black screen when installing applications and games, but it works flawlessly when viewing movies or extracting audio to mp3. In order for me to install let’s say Office 2k I need to go into the Device Manager and disable DMA for the drive, after that I can install it without any lockups, then I have to enable DMA to view movies or extract audio at higher speeds. I have pondered for some time with this problem but it is beyond me. So, does anyone have a clue as to what can be causing this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

System:

Abit KT7A RAID (not using RAID)
ASUS Geforce 2 MX
Pioneer 16x DVD-ROM (Master on the secondary IDE controller)
IBM 40GB HDD
Sound Blaster Live
512 MB PC133
Windows 98SE

G

I have a similar setup to yours, but my problem is a little worse. When I install the DVD, my computer reboots in the final stages of windows '98 bootup. As soon as I remove the DVD, the system fails to boot several times before I can get it back up in safe mode. Did you have this problem installing your DVD-ROM?? My system is as follows:

Pioneer DVD-116
Asus GeForce2 MX V7100T
Abit KT7A
turtle beach fiji
yamaha cdrw 4416 scsi w/ adaptec 2910

-Jason

G

No I didn't have such problems, my only problem is that when DMA is enabled for the drive, I can not install applications, or games without the computer locking up on me......