Will removing hotfixes give me more disk space?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Thanks, I'm desperate.
14 answers Last reply
More about will removing hotfixes give disk space
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    I'm married, but if you remove Hotfixes you will gain some
    small amount of hard drive space. But are you short of
    space? Removing the Hotfix from the add/remove list
    unpatches your computer making it more likely to get a worm
    or virus. If all you do is remove the entry, you will lose
    the ability to remove a "bad hotfix" which is causing a
    problem.

    Best advice, leave it alone.

    "Jack Stroh" <jackstroh@usa.net> wrote in message
    | Thanks, I'm desperate.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Yes, but not much.
    If you are that short, you need another hard drive.
    Look in Add/Remove Programs for any unnecessary programs you can
    uninstall.

    This may also help:
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spack.htm

    Also step 6:

    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    "Jack Stroh" <jackstroh@usa.net> wrote in message
    > Thanks, I'm desperate.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    The program Remove Hotfix Backups might help. www.dougknox.com

    "Jack Stroh" <jackstroh@usa.net> wrote in message
    > Thanks, I'm desperate.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    The hotfixes are part of your operating system. Are there data files, such
    and music or pictures, that you use seldom enough that you can archive to cd
    or dvd? The problem goes further than just 'running out of space.' The
    system needs 10% to 15% of your hard drive to be free in order to have space
    for temporary files for installs and operations such as defragmenting the
    drive.

    Suggestion: Investigate adding an external hard drive to your system.

    "Jack Stroh" <jackstroh@usa.net> wrote in message
    > Thanks, I'm desperate.
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Jack Stroh wrote:
    > Thanks, I'm desperate.

    Get another hard drive.. the consequences of removing them are like not having
    an antivirus program installed nor having any spamkiller stuff installed..

    I mean, surely you wouldn't delete your antivirus program to free up a little
    more space?

    Seriously, another hard drive is your best option here hands down..
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    if your system is stable turn off system restore reboot turn it back on all
    the old restore points will be gone.

    check for .dmp files on the computer as well as deleting all the temp files

    Wayne

    "Jack Stroh" <jackstroh@usa.net> wrote in message
    > Thanks, I'm desperate.
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Colin Barnhorst wrote:
    > The hotfixes are part of your operating system. Are there data files, such
    > and music or pictures, that you use seldom enough that you can archive to cd
    > or dvd? The problem goes further than just 'running out of space.' The
    > system needs 10% to 15% of your hard drive to be free in order to have space
    > for temporary files for installs and operations such as defragmenting the
    > drive.
    >
    > Suggestion: Investigate adding an external hard drive to your system.

    Yeah, Wal Mart sells an external 120GB USB2 Hard Drive for about 145 bucks..
    good value at about a buck a gig *and* external.. plug and play!
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    In news:9V2bd.169967$wV.2343@attbi_s54,
    wayne <notme@example.com> typed:

    > if your system is stable turn off system restore reboot turn it
    > back
    > on all the old restore points will be gone.

    But not for long. Someone who is desperate for disk space needs
    to do more than that. Decreasing the amount of disk space used
    for System Restore makes a lot of sense, if he's using the
    default 12%.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > "Jack Stroh" <jackstroh@usa.net> wrote in message
    >> Thanks, I'm desperate.
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Hi Jack,

    Some info first:

    Some of the Hotfixes (Mostly security updates) do not have an uninstall
    feature, these will not appear in the Add and Remove list. If a Hotfix does
    appear in the Add and Remove list then it can be uninstalled just like any
    other program.

    If you uninstall the Hotfix, you will lose the benefits of that patch. This
    should only be done if you can determine that you are experiencing negative
    effects from the particular Hotfix.

    If you simply do not want them to appear in the Add and Remove list and you
    are sure that you will not need the uninstall option, you can remove items
    from that list by using a registry tweak.

    Automated Edit:

    Remove Hotfixes from Add or Remove (Line 193)

    Manual Edit: Go to Start/Run/Regedit and navigate to this key:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

    Expand this branch and look at the list. The Hotfixes are all listed by a
    "Q" number that corresponds to the entry in the Add and Remove list. Make
    sure that you back up each Key before deleting it.

    Select the key and then select File/Export and include the Q number in the
    name of the file. Right click the entries you want to remove and select
    Delete.

    Cleaning up after installing SP2: MVP Alex Nichol
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm#cleanup

    Other thoughts:

    1. Prefetch
    2. System Restore Points
    3. Hyberfil
    4. C:\Windows\System32\dllcache\*.*
    5. C:\Windows\driver cache\i386\driver.cab
    6. C:\Windows\inf\*.pnf

    --
    All the Best,
    Kelly

    Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP-Shell/User
    2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "Jack Stroh" <jackstroh@usa.net> wrote in message
    > Thanks, I'm desperate.
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    How about deleting the files the hotfixes replace instead?
    (%windir%\$NtUninstallKBxxxxxxx$)
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    In article <ekJsHJYsEHA.3456@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>,
    "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:

    > In news:9V2bd.169967$wV.2343@attbi_s54,
    > wayne <notme@example.com> typed:
    >
    > > if your system is stable turn off system restore reboot turn it
    > > back
    > > on all the old restore points will be gone.
    >

    > But not for long. Someone who is desperate for disk space needs
    > to do more than that. Decreasing the amount of disk space used
    > for System Restore makes a lot of sense, if he's using the
    > default 12%.

    How do I decrease the System Restore space? Thanks.
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Jack Stroh wrote:

    > How do I decrease the System Restore space? Thanks.

    Right click on My Computer, choose Properties, System Restore.
    Highlight the drive in question and click on settings.
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Right click on My Computer, select properties, then the
    System Restore tab. Click settings, do what you want or
    need to do.

    | In article <ekJsHJYsEHA.3456@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>,
    | "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:
    |
    | > In news:9V2bd.169967$wV.2343@attbi_s54,
    | > wayne <notme@example.com> typed:
    | >
    | > > if your system is stable turn off system restore
    reboot turn it
    | > > back
    | > > on all the old restore points will be gone.
    | >

    | > But not for long. Someone who is desperate for disk
    space needs
    | > to do more than that. Decreasing the amount of disk
    space used
    | > for System Restore makes a lot of sense, if he's using
    the
    | > default 12%.
    |
    | How do I decrease the System Restore space? Thanks.
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    In article <uPPpGblsEHA.3076@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>,
    Rock <rock@comcast.nospam.net> wrote:

    > Jack Stroh wrote:
    >

    > > How do I decrease the System Restore space? Thanks.
    >
    > Right click on My Computer, choose Properties, System Restore.
    > Highlight the drive in question and click on settings.

    Thanks.

Configuration Disk Space Microsoft Customization Windows XP