Will removing hotfixes give me more disk space?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Thanks, I'm desperate.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I'm married, but if you remove Hotfixes you will gain some
small amount of hard drive space. But are you short of
space? Removing the Hotfix from the add/remove list
unpatches your computer making it more likely to get a worm
or virus. If all you do is remove the entry, you will lose
the ability to remove a "bad hotfix" which is causing a
problem.

Best advice, leave it alone.

"Jack Stroh" <jackstroh@usa.net> wrote in message
| Thanks, I'm desperate.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Yes, but not much.
If you are that short, you need another hard drive.
Look in Add/Remove Programs for any unnecessary programs you can
uninstall.

This may also help:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spack.htm

Also step 6:

Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"Jack Stroh" <jackstroh@usa.net> wrote in message
> Thanks, I'm desperate.

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

The program Remove Hotfix Backups might help. www.dougknox.com

"Jack Stroh" <jackstroh@usa.net> wrote in message
> Thanks, I'm desperate.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

The hotfixes are part of your operating system. Are there data files, such
and music or pictures, that you use seldom enough that you can archive to cd
or dvd? The problem goes further than just 'running out of space.' The
system needs 10% to 15% of your hard drive to be free in order to have space
for temporary files for installs and operations such as defragmenting the
drive.

Suggestion: Investigate adding an external hard drive to your system.

Jack Stroh wrote:
> Thanks, I'm desperate.

Get another hard drive.. the consequences of removing them are like not having
an antivirus program installed nor having any spamkiller stuff installed..

I mean, surely you wouldn't delete your antivirus program to free up a little
more space?

Seriously, another hard drive is your best option here hands down..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

if your system is stable turn off system restore reboot turn it back on all
the old restore points will be gone.

check for .dmp files on the computer as well as deleting all the temp files

Wayne

Colin Barnhorst wrote:
> The hotfixes are part of your operating system. Are there data files, such
> and music or pictures, that you use seldom enough that you can archive to cd
> or dvd? The problem goes further than just 'running out of space.' The
> system needs 10% to 15% of your hard drive to be free in order to have space
> for temporary files for installs and operations such as defragmenting the
> drive.
>
> Suggestion: Investigate adding an external hard drive to your system.

Yeah, Wal Mart sells an external 120GB USB2 Hard Drive for about 145 bucks..
good value at about a buck a gig *and* external.. plug and play!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

In news:9V2bd.169967$wV.2343@attbi_s54,
wayne <notme@example.com> typed:

> if your system is stable turn off system restore reboot turn it
> back
> on all the old restore points will be gone.

But not for long. Someone who is desperate for disk space needs
to do more than that. Decreasing the amount of disk space used
for System Restore makes a lot of sense, if he's using the
default 12%.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> "Jack Stroh" <jackstroh@usa.net> wrote in message
>> Thanks, I'm desperate.

kelly

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi Jack,

Some info first:

Some of the Hotfixes (Mostly security updates) do not have an uninstall
feature, these will not appear in the Add and Remove list. If a Hotfix does
appear in the Add and Remove list then it can be uninstalled just like any
other program.

If you uninstall the Hotfix, you will lose the benefits of that patch. This
should only be done if you can determine that you are experiencing negative
effects from the particular Hotfix.

If you simply do not want them to appear in the Add and Remove list and you
are sure that you will not need the uninstall option, you can remove items
from that list by using a registry tweak.

Automated Edit:

Remove Hotfixes from Add or Remove (Line 193)

Manual Edit: Go to Start/Run/Regedit and navigate to this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

Expand this branch and look at the list. The Hotfixes are all listed by a
"Q" number that corresponds to the entry in the Add and Remove list. Make
sure that you back up each Key before deleting it.

Select the key and then select File/Export and include the Q number in the
name of the file. Right click the entries you want to remove and select
Delete.

Cleaning up after installing SP2: MVP Alex Nichol
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm#cleanup

Other thoughts:

1. Prefetch
2. System Restore Points
3. Hyberfil
4. C:\Windows\System32\dllcache\*.*
5. C:\Windows\driver cache\i386\driver.cab
6. C:\Windows\inf\*.pnf

--
All the Best,
Kelly

Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP-Shell/User
2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Jack Stroh" <jackstroh@usa.net> wrote in message
> Thanks, I'm desperate.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

How about deleting the files the hotfixes replace instead?
(%windir%\$NtUninstallKBxxxxxxx$)

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

In article <ekJsHJYsEHA.3456@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>,
"Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:

> In news:9V2bd.169967$wV.2343@attbi_s54,
> wayne <notme@example.com> typed:
>
> > if your system is stable turn off system restore reboot turn it
> > back
> > on all the old restore points will be gone.
>

> But not for long. Someone who is desperate for disk space needs
> to do more than that. Decreasing the amount of disk space used
> for System Restore makes a lot of sense, if he's using the
> default 12%.

How do I decrease the System Restore space? Thanks.

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Jack Stroh wrote:

> How do I decrease the System Restore space? Thanks.

Right click on My Computer, choose Properties, System Restore.
Highlight the drive in question and click on settings.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Right click on My Computer, select properties, then the
System Restore tab. Click settings, do what you want or
need to do.

In article <uPPpGblsEHA.3076@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>,
Rock <rock@comcast.nospam.net> wrote:

> Jack Stroh wrote:
>

> > How do I decrease the System Restore space? Thanks.
>
> Right click on My Computer, choose Properties, System Restore.
> Highlight the drive in question and click on settings.

Thanks.