Sign in with
Your question

BSoD on 3 month old build

Last response: in Windows 7
January 12, 2012 4:26:20 PM

Hey everyone.

I've been having some trouble with a new build and i kind of abandoned the post for the past month because I've been away. I built a new rig about 3 months ago and it's been having some problems. Crashing frequently with the same BSoD: IRQL Not Less or Equal. here's a picture: " alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />

To summarize, i've run memtest for about 90 minutes, i'm not sure how many "passes" it was because it was my first time using the program and i was unfamiliar with it, however, it found no errors. I have also run SFC /scannow. No problems were found with the integrity of any of the files.

What is my next step?

Thanks in advance (sorry if i shouldn't have made another forum post about this)!

More about : bsod month build

January 12, 2012 4:39:46 PM

System spec's please
m
l
January 12, 2012 4:45:21 PM

of course. my bad.

1. AMD A8-3850
2. Gigabyte GA-A75-UD4H FM1 AMD A75
3. OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W
4. G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3
5. Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16
6. Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
January 12, 2012 6:01:41 PM

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL_TO is almost always due to bad RAM, though a faulty device driver could be at fault.

What I find VERY odd is the memory address referenced: 0x00000008, which should be an address reserved for use for hardware addressing. The fact an address that low is causing a problem strikes me as odd. So it could be a driver or hardware issue rather then RAM. [That being said, I once had a stick of RAM where EVERY even bit failed...]

To clarify, aside from the HDD's and GPU, there is no other hardware installed in the PC?
m
l
January 12, 2012 7:28:02 PM

all 6 specs in my previous post comprise the entire computer. 1 hard drive, 2 sticks of ram, gpu, psu, cpu, mobo, dvd drive.
m
l
January 12, 2012 8:37:03 PM

Try to give the RAM a little bit more voltage. Gigabyte motherboard seems to underpower RAM, at least, in the one that I tried. Once the RAM get more voltage, complete stability was achieved. At least, in my case.
m
l
January 12, 2012 9:10:55 PM

how do i go about doing that? and what are some possible ramifications of doing so?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 12, 2012 9:28:02 PM

jpsenior said:
all 6 specs in my previous post comprise the entire computer. 1 hard drive, 2 sticks of ram, gpu, psu, cpu, mobo, dvd drive.

Over and above that there will be built in hardware that all use memory locations, soundcard, network card, usb, serial (if its there) etc. So Gamerk316, it could be a bad mobo?
m
l
January 12, 2012 10:16:10 PM

jpsenior said:
how do i go about doing that? and what are some possible ramifications of doing so?

It is done in BIOS. Look for something like DDR voltage or RAM voltage. Open the MIT option, then system voltage control. You'll see DDR3 voltage. Now, your memory is set to run at 1.5 volts. I would try 1.55V at first, then going higher but no need for higher than 1.65V. If it cannot be stable then the problem is elsewhere.

By giving a little bit more voltage, this help in case the PSU or voltage regulator drop a little under specs. This can then cause data corruption and crash.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 12, 2012 11:37:06 PM

You did not say which version of memtest86 you were running to test your memory. I have found that version 4.0 is very much better at detecting faulty memory than version 3.5 and that if you are using version 3.5 I am not surprised that it found nothing wrong.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 12, 2012 11:38:45 PM

Quote:

I liked the pun :D 
m
l
January 12, 2012 11:49:49 PM

haha thanks.. :)  but yeah i ran memtest version 4.0a so, no problems there?

and is upping the voltage for my RAM a safe option? how will i know if it stabilizes the system? just if it doesn't crash? because that's my only problem right now. frequent crash+bsod.
m
l
January 13, 2012 12:05:35 AM

Upping the voltage on RAM will, like with anything else, increase the heat output by the RAM, but as long as you stay below 1.65V you'll be perfectly safe (the increase in heat won't be very significant).

To test the system stability, running MemTest and watching for BSODs is all I can think of at the moment (I'll look for some benchmarking software or something), but definitely do what pjmelect says and up the voltage a bit; if your BSODs go away, problem solved. If not, you'll need to start considering hardware problems
m
l
January 13, 2012 12:07:20 AM

Yes, it is sate to increase the voltage as there is some memory that run 1.65v, some goes as high as 1.8v. If you don't get anymore crash with the voltage increase, then you should have fixed your problem.

Memtest is good to test memory for errors, but since it has to run from DOS, there is no load in the system as when you are playing a game. The 3d chip, as well as the HDD and sound each ask for power, and it can cause the power to fluctuate. especially the 3d chip.
m
l
January 13, 2012 12:10:08 AM

i appreciate all the help. i'll try it out later tonight
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 13, 2012 11:26:35 AM

I wish I could remember what addresses that low are mapped to; its been ages since I've had to deal with that stuff. But I'm 99% sure that the address thats giving the fault (0x00000008) is reserved for hardware addressing...

Do you have another GPU to test with? Also, might want to do a chkdsk, just to make sure its not a HDD problem [i doubt it though].
m
l
January 13, 2012 6:09:14 PM

no i don't have another gpu. The first one i got came dead on arrival, this is the second one. It's been fine except for when i first installed it i got a blue screen that told me the drivers were not installed correctly. but then i uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers and never had that issue again.

I'm gonna try increasing the voltage on the ram momentarily, i'll report back later to tell you guys if it crashed again.
m
l
January 13, 2012 6:54:30 PM

I just upped the voltage to 1.550. I never tried to configure speeds or anything like that. is that something i should look into.

Furthermore.. Are there other hardware tests i should be running?
m
l
January 14, 2012 12:28:22 PM

Do as you do to have crashes happen and see. if it is stable, then your system was underpowering the RAM, or the RAM was receiving less power than it needed.
m
l
January 14, 2012 6:54:58 PM

got it. i did it yesterday afternoon and no crashes yet, but it's barely been a full day. so i'll keep up with this thread with more updates later. I appreciate everyone's help thus far.
m
l
January 14, 2012 10:14:29 PM

When I first set up my current Gigabyte motherboard, and knowing that I have 4 x 4GB modules, I put the memory voltage up when I setup the BIOS for the first time before instaling the OS. Never bothered to look back if l could set it as default as it is rock stable as it is.
m
l
January 16, 2012 6:50:16 PM

So the computer crashed again last night. The RAM is still at 1.550v. Should i up it to 1.600v? or run some diagnostic beforehand? or a new strategy?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 17, 2012 11:59:44 AM

New strategy I think...

I can't rule out bad drivers, or RAM at this point. Not having another GPU to test with also complicates things slightly.

Just for kicks, uninstall the GPU drivers, and upgrade to either a later or earlier version. Just to rule out a driver problem on the GPU side. Secondly, any application that is not needed, kill at startup, just to remove any poorly designed driver software from the equation.

...Also, the next time you BSOD, make note of the first of the four numbers in teh parathesis; if its ALWAYS 0x00000008, then its possible you have an occasionally stuck bit at that address, hence why memtest might not be picking it up...
m
l
January 17, 2012 4:07:03 PM

i see. (i think).

I had driver genius pro on that computer to update my drivers after i made it. Is that poorly designed/how do i know if it's poorly designed?

If i shouldn't use that software, what is your preferred way of uninstalling the gpu drivers (or any drivers from that matter). i feel like device manager never does the job or just fails. Sometimes it tells me there is no update available but the amd/nvidia/gigabyte/asus websites etc. that i've used in the past for this and other computers often says otherwise.
m
l
January 20, 2012 5:26:00 PM

jpsenior said:
So the computer crashed again last night. The RAM is still at 1.550v. Should i up it to 1.600v? or run some diagnostic beforehand? or a new strategy?
I would try it at 1.6v Does it seem to be more stable? And it is a computer, crash may happen from time to time.
m
l
January 21, 2012 10:41:01 PM

i'll try 1.6 tonight. It always seems stable but then it crashes randomly. I dont know that the 1.50 to 1.55v made a difference. but if you think 1.6 might be better, i'll try it. any suggestions for the drivers?
m
l
February 12, 2012 7:55:04 PM

Hey everyone.. i never set it up to 1.60 because i only crashed twice in the last 3-4 weeks really. Everything has seemed stable. However, last night i left my computer in sleep mode and i tried to get back on today and i got a different BSoD. here it is:

any suggestions?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 12, 2012 11:16:39 PM

This latest error is caused by the video driver, but could equally well be caused by memory errors, until you get your system passing memtest86 4.0a for at least three passes you don't know where you are. If your memory was good then the normal way to deal with this error would be to either update the video driver or install an older driver.

The correct voltage for the memory that you are using is 1.6v, try 1.65v or higher. As it is an AMD system it can take the higher voltage.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 13, 2012 11:18:58 AM

0x00000000A = IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL_TO

This one is usually RAM, but can be due to a driver problem as well.

Bug Check 0x116: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

This one happens when the GPU driver stops responding, and does not restart.

I'm suspecting a GPU problem. I've seen this happen before [happened to me] when a GPU's VRAM contains errors. Do you have another GPU you can test with?
m
l
February 13, 2012 5:02:26 PM

i do not have another GPU to test with :( . Also, where do i find the information for the correct voltage? newegg says 1.5v. Is that incorrect/misleading?

Suggesting i run memtest 3+ times and report back?

Any other suggestions in the meantime?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 13, 2012 6:41:30 PM

Not much. It looks like a GPU problem, so either the GPU is going bad, or you have a buggy driver. This does NOT look like RAM to me, but feel free to run memtest86 just to be sure.

If under warantee, I'd RMA the GPU.
m
l
February 14, 2012 4:46:20 PM

Nah, Newegg's standard vga warranty policy is only 30 days. it's been almost 5 months :)  lol. maybe i can contact the manufacturer though? idk.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 14, 2012 6:39:08 PM

Manufacturer warantees are usually at least a year.

Looking back at the IRQL BSOD, the memory address of 0x00000008 is almost certianly an address on the PCI-E bus, which points to the GPU. A BSOD of 0x00000116 also points toward the GPU.

...hold on, you have an A8? Can't you test with the integrated GPU and see if the issue goes away? Might be the best way to see if the GPU is at fault or not...
m
l
February 15, 2012 5:03:11 PM

Thats a good idea^. Suggest i do that first? or up the voltage on the ram to 1.6 first? or both?

should i run memtest, or not bother?

does anyone have a favorite way to take care of drivers? I have a driver program but i don't really know if i trust it if the driver install went wrong/i got a buggy driver and need an older one. I also feel like device manager is always wrong so i don't really know how i should take care of the driver issue, if it is one.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 15, 2012 6:12:25 PM

I'd test with the A8's onboard GPU first, as I strongy suspect the discrete GPU is the culprit. To ensure its not a factor, uninstall the drivers and remove it from the PC, just to make sure it isn't being used in some way.

If you still get a BSOD, then its very unlikely to be the GPU. Then I'd recommend running memtest86 one stick at a time.
m
l
February 15, 2012 9:31:38 PM

thanks for the help. i appreciate it.
m
l
February 22, 2012 5:39:33 PM

Soo.. before i had a chance to do anything i got another BSoD that i haven't seen before.... here she is...

What?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 22, 2012 6:26:47 PM

Bug Check 0x101: CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT

Quote:
The specified processor is not processing interrupts. Typically, this occurs when the processor is nonresponsive or is deadlocked.

Points to a low level driver/HW problem of some sort.

Again, I'd STRONGLY advise you remove the GPU and run for a bit with the GPU built into that llano processor. Everything I'm seeing points to a GPU problem at this stage.

1: You have an IRQL BSOD [0xA], which is typically either memory or driver related. In addition, the address that crashed [0X8] is reserved for the PCI-E bus. And only the GPU is on the PCI-E bus...

2: You have a TDR BSOD [0x116], which points SQUARELY at either the GPU or its drivers.

Very unlikely the GPU is NOT the cause.
m
l
February 22, 2012 10:43:00 PM

alright. well thanks again for the consistent help. i appreciate it. I've only gotten about 3-4 blue screens in the past 4 weeks(ish) so i'll take the gpu out and give that a try but i probably won't have anything to report any time soon. either way. thanks a ton and i'll come back when i know more
m
l
!