Sign in with
Your question

PC wont start after crash

Last response: in Components
July 4, 2012 8:33:48 PM

Hello, I got a problem with my PC. 90% of the time it crashes and blue screens, after the reset, the PC wont start. It only gives few power to spin the coolers for an instant and thats it, and it repeats after 3-5 seconds, something like his trying to start but it can't, and after long tries it starts. Any idea what is the problem? I am thinking at the power supply...Its a Recom PowerEngine 500W. Need your help and opinions on this please,, if there is any other information you need let me know. Waiting for reply. Cheers

More about : wont start crash

a c 116 ) Power supply
July 4, 2012 9:21:19 PM

Yes, it does sound like a PSU related issue. But I had a new build that did the same thing. It turned out to be the motherboard. After I replaced the board, all worked fine. If you can, scrounge up a know good PSU to test with. If you can't get a 2nd PSU to test with, try unplugging the pwr from the drives and see if the PC can boot normally to BIOS. If taking the drives' load off the PSU allows booting to BIOS, it points to the PSU being the problem.

While you have the case open, if you haven't done it for a few years, change the CMOS battery too. A dying battery will keep you from booting. Although I doubt that's your problem. And if you get the system stable long enough, clean the system of registry errors and temp garbage.
a b ) Power supply
July 4, 2012 9:28:26 PM

It could be a heat related issue as well, it shuts off because it over heats, then it doesn't turn back on because it's still to hot. Do you monitor your temps? Do you run a stock heat and/or need to reapply thermal grease?
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
July 4, 2012 10:07:39 PM

Yup, failure to boot again after crash is very typical of a PSU going bad but reducing the load by disconnecting drives will not necessarily allow the PC to boot. If the PC is crashing and failing to boot because bad caps are letting excessive noise through and tripping under/over-voltage protections, the condition may persist or even get worse at reduced load.
July 5, 2012 7:25:21 AM

mace200200 said:
It could be a heat related issue as well, it shuts off because it over heats, then it doesn't turn back on because it's still to hot. Do you monitor your temps? Do you run a stock heat and/or need to reapply thermal grease?

Yeah I got no problem with the temperature, I think. Sometimes I monitor it and everything seems to have a more then good temperature. I dont think I'm getting crash cuz of high temeperature, but because of some random BSODs. I usually get around 2-3 BSOD per month maximum, and I am using the pc everyday (games, movies, etc).
Like cluthc said, also the motherboard could be a suspect.
I'll see what I can do maybe switch the PSU. Any other info would help.
Cheers and tanks for the reply!! I appreciate.
July 7, 2012 7:59:12 AM

It seems that the pc wont start even if I give a proper restart after some time. Same issue, starts for an instant and then turns off, but only the fans and LED. I tried removing the HDD but nothing still failing to start, and the worst thing is after I plugged the HDD back on it burnt it..... only the HDD, everything else its ok (im guessing). Really out of ideas here :( 
!