Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Are Rosewill Challenger fans variable speed?

Last response: in Components
July 4, 2012 9:06:21 PM

Looking for a case for my first build and I see this getting good reviews. Are the fans variable speed? If so, how are they controlled. I read where someone recommended a Speedfan, but I'm not sure if my motherboard will be compatible. Just going with a basic Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H
a b ) Power supply
July 4, 2012 9:32:33 PM

All fan speeds are variable, if you plug it into the motherboard they will change speed automatically depending on how hot your system is. 4 pin will have more control while the 3 pin fans will be able to adjust the speed only a little bit. Or you can buy a fan controler and control all of your fans by turning a dial.
m
l

Best solution

a c 248 ) Power supply
July 4, 2012 10:17:42 PM

The Gigabyte motherboard has connectors to accomodate three case fans plus a cpu heatsink fan. You can plug in case fans with either 3 pin connectors or 4 pin connectors into the motherboard.

Unfortunately the case fan at the bottom front of the Rosewill Challenger case and the fan on the top panel have 4 pin Molex connectors. Those are the type of connectors used to connect to a power supply - not to the motherboard. Rosewill didn't include any adapters either.

The case fan mounted at the top of the rear panel uses a connector with 3 pins that you can plug into the motherboard.

Here is a link to a Tom's Hardware article that is the source of my information:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nzxt-gamma-rosewill...

The second page identifies and explains the fan configuration.

If you want to plug the fans into the motherboard, then the easiest solution is to use an inexpensive adapter. I know there are quite a few inexpensive Molex to 3 pin fan adapters. I'm not sure if Molex to 4 pin fan adapters are available.

Here is an example with a large image of a Molex to 3 pin adapter:

http://www.tradecheckout.com/products/IDE-to-3-pins-CPU...

Related resources
July 4, 2012 10:44:30 PM

JohnnyLucky said:

Unfortunately the case fan at the bottom front of the Rosewill Challenger case and the fan on the top panel have 4 pin Molex connectors. Those are the type of connectors used to connect to a power supply - not to the motherboard. Rosewill didn't include any adapters either.

You say they connect to a power supply...would it be just as well to connect them that way? I assume the PSU would adjust the fan speed along with its own fan? I am leaning toward a corsair CX430. Would that operate it?
m
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
July 4, 2012 11:20:45 PM

Bit of a misunderstanding.

A few modern power supplies like the SeaSonic X-650 are able to control the speed of the fan mounted in the power supply. That is the only fan the power supply controls. A power supply cannot control the speed of case fans that are plugged into it. Case fans plugged into the power supply will run full speed.

To be honest, the problem is Rosewill. For some reason the company failed to provide the adapters.

The easiest and least expensive option for you is to purchase two inexpensive Molex to fan 3-pin adapters (or Molex to fan 4-pin adapters if you can find them). In the USA they are available for as low as 70 cents. Try it first and see if it works for you.

If you are not satisfied, then you have two more options. First you can swap out the stock case fans for "quiet fans" that produce less noise. Second you can install a fan controller. Both options cost a lot more than two adpaters.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 4, 2012 11:41:03 PM

JohnnyLucky said:

To be honest, the problem is Rosewill. For some reason the company failed to provide the adapters.

I buy Rosewill stuff because it's cheap and I have no money, Most of their fans cost a grand total of $4 part of that is because they don't come with adapters so they probably don't include them for that reason. The cables always come sleeved though which I would much rather have than an included adapter. (After buying fans in the past I have enough adapter to last me any way)
m
l
July 5, 2012 12:02:02 AM

Thanks for the help, and sorry for the ignorance. As of this time last week, I didn't even know what a motherboard was for, but spending the past week on this site has really changed things.

I'll look into the adapters. I assume the case fans running at full speed will be too loud for my tastes? That is one of the main gripes on my current system (9 years old). The fan runs at full speed non-stop, and while it isn't deafening, it is more than I'd prefer. I even considered getting one of the fanless PSU models, but can't justify spending that much for the build I am looking for.
m
l
July 5, 2012 1:38:51 AM

I guess another question I would have is whether I need those other two fans? I am not overclocking my machine and I am not even getting a graphics card. However, I guess if it is just $.70 per adapter I might as well get them and let the motherboard decide if I need them or not...that is, assuming the motherboard will turn the fans OFF when not needed.
m
l
a c 111 ) Power supply
July 5, 2012 2:07:55 AM

Remember, the corsair CX430V2 only comes with a few molex connectors! I own one myself!
m
l
July 5, 2012 2:39:37 AM

amuffin said:
Remember, the corsair CX430V2 only comes with a few molex connectors! I own one myself!

Are you saying I can use the corsair connectors to connect the fans to the motherboard? If so, that would be sweet. In looking at the CX430 owners manual online, I see it mentions "periphrial cable". I assume that is it? If so, it says it comes with 1 cable with 4 connectors. Are they talking about an adapter with 4 pins or 4 separate connectors (which could power 4 separate items)...like a splitter?
m
l
July 5, 2012 3:56:25 AM

whitenack said:
I guess another question I would have is whether I need those other two fans? I am not overclocking my machine and I am not even getting a graphics card. However, I guess if it is just $.70 per adapter I might as well get them and let the motherboard decide if I need them or not...that is, assuming the motherboard will turn the fans OFF when not needed.

They wont turn off, but will hopefully be a low speed that they are pretty much unnoticeable.
m
l
July 5, 2012 12:29:55 PM

Is it true that if I get a molex to 3-pin adapter it won't adjust the fan speed? If so, that will defeat the purpose of what I am trying to do and I might as well connect them straight to the PSU like normal or just not connect them at all.

Intel article talking about the difference between 3 pin and 4 pin functionality...
http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs...

Is this the kind of thing I am looking for, except with 4 pins? It is a little pricey compared to what you guys describe, but is this the type of connectors I am looking for (except for 4 pin?)
http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Unlimited-3-Pin-Connector-...
m
l
July 10, 2012 7:23:37 PM

Wow, this thing is so much quieter than my old case! I may not even bother with getting adapters. The extra fans don't seem to be a major cause of what noise there is, anyway.

I'll live with it like this, hooked up like normal, for a while and see if it is worth tweeking later.

Thanks for all the help everyone.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 10, 2012 7:35:36 PM

whitenack said:
Wow, this thing is so much quieter than my old case! I may not even bother with getting adapters. The extra fans don't seem to be a major cause of what noise there is, anyway.

I'll live with it like this, hooked up like normal, for a while and see if it is worth tweeking later.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Glad to hear it worked out like you wanted to. Just wondering did you go for the Rosewill fans, or did you end up with something else?
m
l
July 10, 2012 7:44:35 PM

Right now I am just using what came with the case. I just finished with the build late last night and I working on installing os and drivers tonight. I haven't had a chance to locate the loudest fan, but it seems to either be the psu fan or the rear case fan. Obviously during the bootup check, the fans run at full blast and it gets pretty loud, but it is very nice at idle. As time goes by I may make a few changes, but right now it is such a drastic improvement over what I am used to I am not real motivated to change anything.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 10, 2012 7:51:55 PM

whitenack said:
Right now I am just using what came with the case. I just finished with the build late last night and I working on installing os and drivers tonight. I haven't had a chance to locate the loudest fan, but it seems to either be the psu fan or the rear case fan. Obviously during the bootup check, the fans run at full blast and it gets pretty loud, but it is very nice at idle. As time goes by I may make a few changes, but right now it is such a drastic improvement over what I am used to I am not real motivated to change anything.

I see, I didn't relize that you didn't have anything put together yet.
m
l
July 17, 2012 8:37:36 PM

Best answer selected by whitenack.
m
l
!