nonvideas

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Hi everybody, thanks in advance for any advice you can offer. I’ve been out of PC gaming for a little while. I just stumbled into a new Dell XPS 8300 system at a ridiculous price, and am looking to add in a GPU (currently just has Intel graphics) to do some casual gaming. My current line of thought is to add a decent but not enthusiast-level GPU that will work the 460W PSU, go with that for the next 18-24 months, then upgrade the PSU and GPU further at that time.

My questions are:

- Is it reasonable to try to go without upgrading the PSU for now, or am I going to run into PSU problems even with a 550ti or an HD 6850 (both of which Newegg’s calculator suggest I’ll be able to run with my PSU)?
- Will a GPU at this level provide decent future proofing for the next 18-24 months?
- Any other limitations I might face? I have two available 6 pin connectors from the PSU but I don’t know their exact specifications.
- I’ve been looking primarily at a GTX 550ti or an HD 6850 or 6770. Any preferences between these cards, or other cards that I should be considering?
- If I do upgrade the PSU now (which I'd rather not if I can help it), does that risk my warranty? Some of the comments of other Dell owners in these forums suggests it might.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: In the next day or two BUDGET RANGE: $125-$200 Before Rebates

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Casual gaming. Would like to be able to play Skyrim on High settings. I’ll probably go back and play a lot of games I’ve missed from the last few years (FO3, FONV, maybe Civ V, Arkham City, maybe dabble in BF3), and maybe SWTOR or Diablo III in a little while.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: No discrete GPU at the moment (Integrated HD 3000), one available PCI-E slot. Stock Dell XPS 460 W power supply.

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Intel® Core™ i7-2600K Processor (8M Cache, 3.40 GHz), 12GB DDR3 RAM, stock Dell mobo (AO6 BIOS), 500GB 7200 rpm 3.5” HD, DVD-RW, wireless card, standard Dell XPS 8300 case (not slim).

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Likely Newegg COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: No strong preference. Good experiences with EVGA in the past but not a strong enough allegiance to sway me one way or the other.

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Not with this motherboard.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080, 21.5" HDMI monitor

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Would like a straight HDMI output but it’s not a deal-breaker. The case seems to have plenty of room length and depth-wise, much to my surprise, but I may be limited to no more than 5” in width.

Thank you!

Supermuncher85

Distinguished
6870 should fit the bill. The dell psus actually aren't all that bad and as far as I can remember you could order the XPS with a 5870 . Meaning the psu should have no problem powering a 6870.

edit: gtx560(non ti) would be the nvidia substitute. Both have similar power draw.

nonvideas

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012

Cool, glad to hear you think those would work out. Newegg had the total power usage for my system coming to ~450W with those cards so I was a little nervous to commit. Thanks for the advice.

nonvideas

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012

Best I can tell, it's:

+12vA = 18A
+12vB = 16A
+12vC = 8A

Not power usage, a power supply wattage reccomendation;

"The PSU Wattage we recommend only gives you a general idea on what to consider while selecting a power supply."

12v capacity is an important factor to consider, the 32a combined output on your psu is plenty for the cards mentioned ( like mal said, non overclocked Ti )