Several varying HDD
-1TB Partitioned Seagate
-2x 500 GB HDD
2X Radeon HD 6850
-currently using 1 untill it works
Asus VH236H (Main Monitor)
HP w1707 Wide LCD

bought these cards to crossfire and its just been problems since
one card works fine and the other just goes wacko. not when in games but on the desktop. it will stop responding and recover and sometimes freeze the computer. is it doa? please help. thanks!

Solution
First I would remove the HP memory. It takes very little in memory module differences to disrupt a system. Just having the same timings and voltage requirements is not enough. Each stick needs to be matched (identical model and brand). There are differences between memory not shown on the label spec. that are important. These can not always be adjusted for in the bios (have you set all the memory parameters manually to the same in the bios?). Next have you installed the latest hot fix drivers and profiles (http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/Catalyst121apreviewdriver.aspx)? Try the 2 suggestions: Remove the HP memory and install the driver linked. When you say one card works, do you mean the either will work as a single card...

Dogsnake

Distinguished
First I would remove the HP memory. It takes very little in memory module differences to disrupt a system. Just having the same timings and voltage requirements is not enough. Each stick needs to be matched (identical model and brand). There are differences between memory not shown on the label spec. that are important. These can not always be adjusted for in the bios (have you set all the memory parameters manually to the same in the bios?). Next have you installed the latest hot fix drivers and profiles (http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/Catalyst121apreviewdriver.aspx)? Try the 2 suggestions: Remove the HP memory and install the driver linked. When you say one card works, do you mean the either will work as a single card? Have you tried each of the two video card slots by itself to verify both cards and slots work as singles?

Solution

darthone

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
i tried them linked in cross fire and its the same thing as if i put the one card in by itself.

Good card- works fine
bad card - checkered desktop on start up, goes unresponsive while on the desktop, wont launch games, etc.
both in cross fire - same as the bad card^

about the memory thing.
i've used this memory set up for 4 months and the only time it gave me problems was when i switched motherboards and all i had to do then was take it out and put it back in. ( building a computer piece by piece. yes i know it's not the best but i dont have like 1500 to buy everything at once.)

i just installed the new driver.