January 15, 2012 2:33:28 PM

Im currently building a computer. I have:

i7-2600k(H80)
Asus sabertooth p67 (with assistfan)
1000w powersupply
60gb ssd
360 gb hdd
GT 520 1gb (for now)

The question i have is should i buy 2 x 560ti's to sli or just buy a 580 or just wait for the 760ti or greater when it comes out dependent on price of the new cards(my budget is 250-350 area for a single card)

More about : graphics card dillema

Related resources
January 15, 2012 3:43:24 PM

Im not fully against amd. This is my first build and i just really want nvidia. All my friends have amd but they choose amd purely on price and idc about the price i just want the best for my computer. So anything that would help with that. Like where could i get the best Nvidia performance and beat most other cards amd included?
m
l

Best solution

a c 171 Î Nvidia
a c 271 U Graphics card
January 15, 2012 3:47:43 PM

jemm said:
2 x 560ti's will performance better than a single 580, however you can expect some issues related to SLI, for instance, micro-stuttering.

The price will be around the same:

580 http://stores.tomshardware.com/search_getprod.php/maste...

560ti http://stores.tomshardware.com/search_getprod.php/maste...

I´d get a single 580 for now, then a future SLI.

Another one spouting the same old tosh! :pfff: 

FYI I run SLi'd GTX560Ti's and microstuttering doesn't exist!
a b Î Nvidia
a c 105 U Graphics card
January 15, 2012 3:49:24 PM

I agree with the 580. the numbers might look good but the cards are completely different. There's only one real option.
m
l
January 15, 2012 3:53:05 PM

So what about the new cards that are suppose to come out? i have a card to hold me off till then and i can save my money would you recommend i wait or act on the 500 series?
m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
a c 271 U Graphics card
January 15, 2012 3:56:27 PM

Do you have the patience to wait for a couple of months?
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 105 U Graphics card
January 15, 2012 3:57:15 PM

I thought I read up top you wanted nvidia. The 580's the best you can get. If you want the "best" you can get for that price range get the 7970. You can wait on the new cards but as of yet nobody knows anything about price or performance. It's your money and ultimately your decision.
m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
a c 271 U Graphics card
January 15, 2012 4:03:44 PM

swifty_morgan said:
I thought I read up top you wanted nvidia. The 580's the best you can get. If you want the "best" you can get for that price range get the 7970. You can wait on the new cards but as of yet nobody knows anything about price or performance. It's your money and ultimately your decision.

That depends on where you are and where you can buy from.

Cheap 580:- http://www.scan.co.uk/products/15gb-point-of-view-gtx-5...

Cheap 7970:- http://www.scan.co.uk/products/3gb-power-color-radeon-h...
m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
a c 271 U Graphics card
January 15, 2012 4:06:50 PM

sadfacebunny said:
Mousemonkey

you speak the truth lol idk if i actually could wait. But would performance wise it be a better choice to wait ?

some performance specs have been "leaked" i believe. I looked at some last night

rumored sorry
http://videocardz.com/nvidia/geforce-700/geforce-gtx-79...

All we have are rumours mate, personally I would wait until the cards are released and tried out before I went and got one but that approach doesn't work for everyone.
m
l
January 15, 2012 4:15:01 PM

500 series should be cheaper too right ?
m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
a c 271 U Graphics card
January 15, 2012 4:17:56 PM

sadfacebunny said:
500 series should be cheaper too right ?

Yes of course, but they are not quite in the same price bracket as some would have you believe.
m
l
January 15, 2012 4:35:41 PM

Okay understandable so the best thing for performance is to wait and see what the 700 series has to hold but if I can't wait I should sli some 560 ti's together
m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
a c 271 U Graphics card
January 15, 2012 4:38:46 PM

sadfacebunny said:
Okay understandable so the best thing for performance is to wait and see what the 700 series has to hold but if I can't wait I should sli some 560 ti's together

560's in SLi are quite good performers and I intend to miss Kepler because I have a pair but if you can wait then it might be worthwhile, who knows?
m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
a c 271 U Graphics card
January 15, 2012 5:32:18 PM

Oh Ti's of course, clocked at 900mhz if you please.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 16, 2012 10:58:15 AM

Mousemonkey said:
Another one spouting the same old tosh! :pfff: 

FYI I run SLi'd GTX560Ti's and microstuttering doesn't exist!

I am afraid we do not see it eyes to eyes. Micro-Stuttering And GPU Scaling In CrossFire And SLI http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stut...
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 143 U Graphics card
January 16, 2012 3:39:31 PM

Mousemonkey said:
It doesn't exist on my rig, why don't you pop round and take a look for yourself.

It doesn't exist in your "world" but it does exist in the real world. ;) 
m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
a c 271 U Graphics card
January 16, 2012 3:51:05 PM

ilysaml said:
It doesn't exist in your "world" but it does exist in the real world. ;) 

Strange that there are others who have similar setups as me and they also report that they don't see this microstuttering that you are convinced exists in every dual card rig.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 143 U Graphics card
January 16, 2012 3:57:56 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Strange that there are others who have similar setups as me and they also report that they don't see this microstuttering that you are convinced exists in every dual card rig.

Did you read the article well? it does exist in every dual GPU setup but barely noticeable with high end GPUs starting from the GTX 560/HD 6950, the issue like never existed in 3-way Setup.

And there's a fact that some people confuse the normal stutter with the microstutter, and some doesn't even know where's it's seen.
m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
a c 271 U Graphics card
January 16, 2012 4:00:54 PM

ilysaml said:
Did you read the article well? it does exist in every dual GPU setup but barely noticeable with high end GPUs starting from the GTX 560/HD 6950, the issue like never existed in 3-way Setup.

And there's a fact that some people confuse the normal stutter with the microstutter, and some doesn't even know where's it's seen.

I've read that and many other articles on the matter and I still don't see it manifesting itself on my current or previous Sli rigs.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 143 U Graphics card
January 16, 2012 4:03:59 PM

Mousemonkey said:
I've read that and many other articles on the matter and I still don't see it manifesting itself on my current or previous Sli rigs.

As you see..pretty sure someday you'll.
m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
a c 271 U Graphics card
January 16, 2012 4:09:50 PM

ilysaml said:
As you see..pretty sure someday you'll.

Apart from your post making little to no sense, I'm assuming that you've seen this microstutter on all of your dual card rigs?
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 143 U Graphics card
January 16, 2012 4:11:34 PM

Mousemonkey said:
I'm assuming that you've seen this microstutter on all of your dual card rigs?

No.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 16, 2012 4:48:24 PM

Hard to argue when all you have is second-hand information. I chuckled when I read the last 2 responses
-Bruce
m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
a c 271 U Graphics card
January 16, 2012 5:06:32 PM

ilysaml said:
No.

OK, so would you agree that ATi drivers are troublesome to work with?
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 143 U Graphics card
January 16, 2012 5:32:10 PM

Mousemonkey said:
OK, so would you agree that ATi drivers are troublesome to work with?

Are you talking about single or dual GPU ? but you remind me of those guys who had Radeon 9 series and don't wanna acquire the new cards because they had issues with their previous cards.
So the answer is no, i have a single card but i worked a lot with Dual GPUs in CF & SLI, can't deny that some releases of the CCC caused serious problems with CF setups and found members here complain about nVidia drivers and SLI, but soon gets quickly fixed and you can see from toms charts, the HD 6K series are on top of the GTX 5k series except for the 580.

Anyway your question is not related to the main question.
m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
a c 271 U Graphics card
January 16, 2012 5:37:08 PM

ilysaml said:
Are you talking about single or dual GPU ? but you remind me of those guys who had Radeon 9 series and don't wanna acquire the new cards because they had issues with their previous cards.
So the answer is no, i have a single card but i worked a lot with Dual GPUs in CF & SLI, can't deny that some releases of the CCC caused serious problems with CF setups, but soon gets quickly fixed and you can see from toms charts, the HD 6K series are on top of the GTX 5k series except for the 580.

Anyway your question is not related to the main question.

Oh but it is, an article states that AMD drivers can be problematic so therefore all AMD/ATi users must have problems mustn't they? By your logic at least.

m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 143 U Graphics card
January 16, 2012 5:43:16 PM

Do i have to show you the SLI problems ? but again this is not related to the microstutter, and you're turning the conversation to AMD VS nVidia, And no not all AMD/ATI users have problems you can ask the members here.

Don't ask the members, go and check guru3d, techpowerup, toms articles they don't report stability or driver issues when testing the single cards or the CF, do they?
m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
a c 271 U Graphics card
January 16, 2012 5:50:32 PM

ilysaml said:
Do i have to show you the SLI problems ? but again this is not related to the microstutter, and you're turning the conversation to AMD VS nVidia, And no not all AMD/ATI users have problems you can ask the members here.

Don't ask the members, go and check guru3d, techpowerup, toms articles they don't report stability or driver issues when testing the single cards or the CF, do they?

Actually I was just using that as an example of something said or printed in an article does not necessarily cover the entire spectrum as you seem to believe, just as not all AMD/ATi users have problems with drivers not all dual GPU setups suffer from microstuttering as you would find out if you asked the members here.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 143 U Graphics card
January 16, 2012 6:45:15 PM

Barely Noticeable with high end cards, and seen with low end/medium range.
But it does exist...this should end all the argument. :lol: 

Let's wait and see if the new series has eliminated this issue or the problem will be preset all the way.
m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
a c 271 U Graphics card
January 16, 2012 6:51:27 PM

ilysaml said:
Barely Noticeable with high end cards, and seen with low end/medium range.
But it does exist...this should end all the argument. :lol: 

Yes, much in the same way that AMD/ATi drivers are problematic for some and not for others but they are problematic and buggy eh? ;) 
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 143 U Graphics card
January 16, 2012 7:00:14 PM

haha don't you notice that your reply is a little biased
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 143 U Graphics card
January 16, 2012 7:15:21 PM

One article ? the seem to be two
From Wikipedia
Quote:
The effects of micro stuttering varies depending on the application and driver optimizations. It remains an issue with both nVidia- and AMD-based multi-card setups as of September 2011.
m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
a c 271 U Graphics card
January 16, 2012 7:19:59 PM

ilysaml said:
One article ? the seem to be two
From Wikipedia
Quote:
The effects of micro stuttering varies depending on the application and driver optimizations. It remains an issue with both nVidia- and AMD-based multi-card setups as of September 2011.

Ahh the Wikki, bastion of truth and fact! :lol:  Just give it up pal and get back on topic.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 173 U Graphics card
January 16, 2012 7:36:47 PM

jemm said:
2 x 560ti's will performance better than a single 580, however you can expect some issues related to SLI, for instance, micro-stuttering.

The price will be around the same:

580 http://stores.tomshardware.com/search_getprod.php/maste...

560ti http://stores.tomshardware.com/search_getprod.php/maste...

I´d get a single 580 for now, then a future SLI.

I have been running sli for years and microshutting is very rare to normal setups it should be considered to not even exist except for dual gpu cards on systems that already prove to be bottlenecks.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 143 U Graphics card
January 16, 2012 7:39:11 PM

MM is not fair with the replies. He deleted my previous post.
m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
a c 271 U Graphics card
January 16, 2012 7:42:41 PM

ilysaml said:
MM is not fair with the replies. He deleted my previous post.

I haven't deleted any of your posts.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 143 U Graphics card
January 16, 2012 7:43:48 PM

I said the Wikki is trusted and knowledgeable enough and pressed "submit"
m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
a c 271 U Graphics card
January 16, 2012 7:48:43 PM

ilysaml said:

I have noticed the site is glitching a bit so I can only assume the devs are playing about with it. When you consider that the Wikki can be edited by anyone how can it be trustworthy?
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 173 U Graphics card
January 16, 2012 7:53:25 PM

ilysaml said:

Wikki lol, it might as well be written in chalk on a blackboard.
m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
a c 271 U Graphics card
January 16, 2012 7:58:44 PM

nforce4max said:
Wikki lol, it might as well be written in chalk on a blackboard.

By someone who firmly believes they are an onion! :lol: 
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 143 U Graphics card
January 16, 2012 8:00:15 PM

Edited yes but it's being reviewed first, isn't it?

And i can say i give up, not able to argue anymore. :lol: 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 16, 2012 8:11:22 PM

mousemonkey I believe you when you say your sli is microstuttering free.

However not all sli setup work properly. You are one of the lucky guys who do not experiment microstutter, but many do.

You´d say your pair of GTX560ti would not microstutter in another motherboard, perhaps one without all the fancies stuff?
m
l
!