Corsair 500R Airflow

elfbarf

Honorable
May 31, 2012
I ordered a Corsair 500R for my new build earlier and was curious as to what my best bet would be for airflow. By default it has the following:
2x 120MM front fans (intake)
1x 200MM side fan (intake)
1x 120MM back/top fan (exhaust)

I ordered 2 extra fans (120MM) as I was thinking of mounting them on top for extra exhaust but I'm not entirely sure of if that's a good idea or not. I'm also considering reversing the 200MM side fan to be exhaust and to use the top fans for intake.

Other specs/info:
i5 3570k w/ Noctua NH-D14
ASUS DirectCU II TOP GTX 670 (which exhausts air back into the case)
650W PSU mounted to take air from beneath the case
Will be removing the top HDD cage to get a bit more air in the front

Any help/advice you could provide would be appreciated.

mace200200

Honorable
It's better to have more intake than outake fans because it's suppose to keep your case at a higher pressure and keep out dust (proven to work to me in the past). I'd leave the fans as they are only top and rear fans should be exhaust. Espically leave your top fans as exhaust, heat rises and the cpu is right below them, it'll take some of the warm air from the cpu and get it out of the case right away.

mace200200

Honorable

LOL i don't know man thats what I was told and it worked out for me when I switched some fans around for the first time a few years ago.

mace200200

Honorable

Well you could always switch one of the fans you bought with a stock fan,

elfbarf

Honorable
May 31, 2012

Even if those stats aren't accurate I'm pretty confident that the fans that I'm buying are better than the stock fans included with the case (which tend to not be all that great).

mace200200

Honorable

That's weird, all the stock fans (CoolerMaster, and DiabloTek) I've ever gotten were very quite, mostly because they don't move any air. I'm sure it varies by brand though.