Sign in with
Your question

CPU temp suddenly climbing.

Last response: in CPUs
July 5, 2012 2:47:40 AM

Was playing a game on my PC today when it randomly shut down. Just black screen and reset. Upon restart it ran for a minute then shut down again. Loading bios and my CPU temp was climbing about 1 degree C every few seconds until it got to 100C and shut it self down. Fans still running fine, checked and put new thermal paste on it. Same result. No new hardware or software in weeks.

AMD Phenom II X4 970(I think 970, something like that at least.)
ASUS mb
HD Radeon 4850
8gb G Skill RAM DDR3
Win 7 Ult 64 bit.
WD 1tb HD
a b à CPUs
July 5, 2012 2:57:33 AM

Reset Cmos, set voltages to correct levels as stated by AMD, if that fails reapply thermal paste (make sure you are using the right amount, more often than not to little is far better than to much)
m
l
a c 102 à CPUs
July 5, 2012 2:58:23 AM

Check the condition of the CPU fan. It may be spinning, but spinning at too low an RPM. May be due to a bad fan, or the RPM set too low in the BIOS.
m
l
Related resources
July 5, 2012 3:10:51 AM

Fan is fine, same rpm seems to be spinning the same. Never changed the voltage on anything. reapplied thermal paste. Scraped of the old stuff too. Will try resetting CMOS.
m
l
a c 102 à CPUs
July 5, 2012 3:14:21 AM

vegatdm said:
Fan is fine, same rpm seems to be spinning the same. Never changed the voltage on anything. reapplied thermal paste. Scraped of the old stuff too. Will try resetting CMOS.

"Scraping off" the old stuff will not be adequate. Use some alcohol swabs and clean off the old residue. Then re-apply a thin even amount of new thermal paste (Arctic Silver 5) per instructions provided by Arctic Silver.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/instructions.htm
m
l
July 5, 2012 3:17:19 AM

Ubrales said:
"Scraping off" the old stuff will not be adequate. Use some alcohol swabs and clean off the old residue. Then re-apply a thin even amount of new thermal paste (Arctic Silver 5) per instructions provided by Arctic Silver.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/instructions.htm

Didn't use that brand, but did thoroughly clean it with a swab.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 5, 2012 3:23:00 AM

vegatdm said:
Didn't use that brand, but did thoroughly clean it with a swab.

What thermal paste are you using and how much? I really think thats the problem at this point. or your mobo is doing what mine does everytime I reset the cmos ( jacks my voltage to its max specced limits... )
m
l
July 5, 2012 3:29:46 AM

Arctic Alumina Paste. I'm using the recommended amount spreading it evenly around the surface.
I got it to load Windows and it seems somewhat stable at 76 degrees Celsius. Also, my motherboard is a little warm at 70 degrees Celsius.
Looked at task manager, everything is running how it should be. My CPU normally idles around 45 degrees Celsius.
m
l
July 5, 2012 3:34:05 AM

How is the cooling in your case? are there wires everywhere, plenty of airflow and fresh air? upload a picture of your insides of the case
m
l
July 5, 2012 3:40:32 AM

kazenteshi said:
How is the cooling in your case? are there wires everywhere, plenty of airflow and fresh air? upload a picture of your insides of the case

Got my wires tied up, side of the case off right now for extra fresh air, decent cooler master heatsink. been using this rig for months with no problems. suddenly today it starts getting hot as hell.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 5, 2012 3:45:25 AM

Your thermal goo is owned. Replace it.
m
l
July 5, 2012 3:45:38 AM

whats the normal temperature for your cpu? have you made any sort of changes even if they're minor changes to your pc?
m
l
July 5, 2012 4:06:55 AM

kazenteshi said:
whats the normal temperature for your cpu? have you made any sort of changes even if they're minor changes to your pc?

45c idle, 60 on load. no changes at all in at least a month.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 5, 2012 4:38:58 AM

My apologies, didn't realise you had done that already.

Man that's fricking odd.

m
l
a b à CPUs
July 5, 2012 4:46:19 AM

I'm leaning toward horrible case airflow since you gpu is idling at 61c :/ 

Just to check, what temp is the hdd vs the mobo sensor? and what case are you using?
m
l
July 5, 2012 2:09:47 PM

mouse24 said:
I'm leaning toward horrible case airflow since you gpu is idling at 61c :/ 

Just to check, what temp is the hdd vs the mobo sensor? and what case are you using?

yeah same, maybe post a picture of your the insides of your pc?
m
l
a c 102 à CPUs
July 5, 2012 2:18:22 PM

vegatdm said:
45c idle, 60 on load. no changes at all in at least a month.

What is the present ambient temp?
m
l
!