Old Parts I want to use, and new parts I want to get.

Rjames1295

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
Hi, guys.

I have an old "Acer Aspire x3990" desktop that I want to upgrade. I will be reusing the motherboard (not sure what company made it, but it has a PCIe 2.0 x16 slot so I think it's compatible with a majority of the video cards out there), CPU (Core i3 2100 @ 3.1 GHz), Hard drive (WD 500 GB 7200 RPM), and Optical Drive (Some random drive).

I am interested in getting a new case, PSU, RAM, and of course, video card.

I will mostly use this for gaming, and a bit of light photoshop, but that's about it. I want something that can at least run med/high on a 1366x768 resolution (I know, monitor is not good for gaming). I have a budget of about $400, including shipping. I live in the Middle East, btw.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. :)

So far, I've come up with these components -

Case : Cooler Master HAF 912
Video Card : SAPPHIRE AMD Radeon HD 6870 1 GB GDDR5
PSU : OCZ Fatal1ty 550W Modular Gaming Power Supply

g-unit1111

Titan
I have an old "Acer Aspire x3990" desktop that I want to upgrade. I will be reusing the motherboard (not sure what company made it, but it has a PCIe 2.0 x16 slot so I think it's compatible with a majority of the video cards out there), CPU (Core i3 2100 @ 3.1 GHz), Hard drive (WD 500 GB 7200 RPM), and Optical Drive (Some random drive).

I'm not sure that board will work with that PSU - I'd need to see a picture of it to make sure it has a 4/8-pin power connector and the 24-pin voltage connector - a lot of these companies don't always have those but if they do you're set. If not you'll need to buy a new motherboard.

Definitely a good call on the HAF 912. Not sure I like the OCZ PSU though.

Here's what I'd recommend:

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233 - HAF 912
PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151095 - Seasonic M12II 620W
Video Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102984 - Sapphire Radeon HD 7850
RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226095 - Mushkin Silverline

One thing to consider, the motherboard may not be compatible with another case.

This is true for Dell PC's. The front panel wiring of the new case will not work with the old motherboard, for the first time builder, and maybe only electricians. The mobo was/is specially made for Dell.

However, I was able to but the guts of a HP into an Antec case without issue. The mobo was an Asus.

Get a motherboard for that CPU, and things would be easier.

Biggest thing is your budget!

Why a new case? Will a new video card not fit?
And usually with a new video card, you need a larger PSU, so this won't fit?
Or are you worried about cooling?

Rjames1295

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
Well, I think I should have stated first, but my budget is quite tight, sadly. :(
I'm in my second year in college, and it sucks hard on the parents' wallet. I'm just using money I was able to save up and some money given by my uncle. This desktop was a gift from my relatives as well.

I'm not sure that board will work with that PSU - I'd need to see a picture of it to make sure it has a 4/8-pin power connector and the 24-pin voltage connector - a lot of these companies don't always have those but if they do you're set. If not you'll need to buy a new motherboard.

I don't have a proper camera, but can assure you, that I have a 4-pin and 24-pin voltage connector. And, I think that I mentioned that I live in the Middle East, so I can't order from newegg. :(
I'm just trying to find the best bang for my buck.

Need to see the case. Some cases are tiny and cannot fit a PSU like that.

You mean the case I already have, or the case I will be getting?

One thing to consider, the motherboard may not be compatible with another case.

This is true for Dell PC's. The front panel wiring of the new case will not work with the old motherboard, for the first time builder, and maybe only electricians. The mobo was/is specially made for Dell.

Hmm, good note. How can I tell if it will be compatible?

And, my budget is limited to 150 BD ($400). The case I have for my current desktop is a small form factor, so I think that most modern video cards will not fit inside.That's mostly my main reason for getting a new case.

g-unit1111

Titan
I don't have a proper camera, but can assure you, that I have a 4-pin and 24-pin voltage connector. And, I think that I mentioned that I live in the Middle East, so I can't order from newegg. :(
I'm just trying to find the best bang for my buck.

OK then you should be able to move it to an HAF 912 no problem. Knowing local availability will help to suggest parts better - I mainly linked to Newegg as a reference.

Rjames1295

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
OK then you should be able to move it to an HAF 912 no problem. Knowing local availability will help to suggest parts better - I mainly linked to Newegg as a reference.

The only thing that the authorized dealer around here sells for cheap is the Bitfenix Shinobi Mid-Tower Window case for $87 (BD 33). Cheapest video card they have at the moment is a Sapphire Radeon Hd 7770 for $200 (BD 75). Shipping and tax included on both items, so I guess it's a reasonable price. But I am thinking that maybe ordering for myself from Amazon might be cheaper ? I'm not quite familiar with the shipping prices they charge.

Hmm, good note. How can I tell if it will be compatible?

If you can look at the front panel wiring from the case to the motherboard (Power and Reset are the most important), is is a bunch of single strand of wires, each with a mobo connector, or is it a bunch of wires into one connector to the mobo.

Single strands each with it's own connector, or a few wires into a few connectors is what you need. Not just one big connector.

Good Luck. I've been down this road, too. (Trying to update an old "box" PC.)

Rjames1295

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
If you can look at the front panel wiring from the case to the motherboard (Power and Reset are the most important), is is a bunch of single strand of wires, each with a mobo connector, or is it a bunch of wires into one connector to the mobo.

Hmm, interstingly enough, my desktop does not havea reset button. Just a power button. It has a couple of wires connected to the mobo, but only for power. I assume the power button connector will be compatible? Not having a reset button is fine with me. I've managed to live without one for almost a year, with this desktop.

Sure, sounds good.

Other wires to look for, that would plug into the mobo from the case are (besides Power and Reset):

Power LED (LED light on the case illuminates when power is on)

HDD LED (LED light on the case illuminates while there is activity on the HDD)

Speaker (some cases have an internal speaker, most today don't: to alert you of boot status and errors)

So, as far as the case goes, I think you should be able to move your system into another case.

Good Luck.