Sign in with
Your question

Next Gaming Rig

Last response: in Systems
March 21, 2012 1:51:55 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: (e.g.: this week (the closer the better))

Budget Range: £1500 - £1600

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Watching Movies, Video and Photo Editing, Web browsing, College work

Parts Not Required: Mouse, Keyboard, Speakers, RAM, HDD, Optical Drive

Preferred Website(s) Novatec.co.uk overclockers.co.uk Aria .co.uk but whatever gets the best deal

Parts Preferences: by brand or type (e.g.: I would like to use an AMD CPU & Biostar mobo with a 24" LCD and full tower case)

Overclocking: Definitely
SLI or Crossfire: More than likely in ther future

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 24"

Additional Comments: Prefer the idead of watercooling, intel whichever Graphics card is best for the price. Black and Blue theme noise isn't too much of a problem but quite would be nicer

Already chosen:

Processor: Intel I5 2500k

http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/processor...

Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) Motherboard

SSD: OCZ Agility 3 SATA III 2.5" 60GB Solid State Hard Drive

http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/harddrive...
Graphics Card:

Power Supply: Corsair HX 1050W ATX2.2 Modular 80 PLUS® Silver Power Supply

http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/powersupp...

Case/Cooling: OcUK Tech Lab - V12 Watercooled Case - Xigmatek Elysium

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance

Mac

More about : gaming rig

March 21, 2012 2:00:55 PM

i would suggest this build

intel i5 2500k
noctua nh d 14
asrock z68 extreme4 gen3
sapphire radeon hd 7970 3 gb oc edition
corsair vengence 2x 4 gb low profile 1600 mhz ddr3
silverstone strider 850 w 80 + gold modular psu
cooler master storm trooper full tower
asus 24x dvd burner
samsung 830 128 gb sata3 ssd
wd carvier black 1 tb 7200rpm hdd
windows 7 professional oem

:hello: 

March 21, 2012 2:11:17 PM

The above build is along the right lines, but I have a few issues...

CPU: OK
Cooler: OK
Motherboard: Recommend ASUS P8Z68-v PRO GEN3
GPU: OK, certainly grab a 7970 on your budget
RAM: Good
PSU: Not sure what price this is at, but I certainly wouldn't want to pay much extra for the 80PLUS Gold. A 850w Corsair, Sea Sonic, Antec or XFX unit would be my recommendation. Modular cables ideally too. Anything Bronze or above would be fine.
Case: Fully Tower..? No need....A nice Mid-Tower case would be plenty. There's loads about, take your pick :) 
SSD: OK, also take a look at Intel Series or Crucial M4
HDD: Good
Related resources
March 21, 2012 5:37:25 PM

SerialKiller I have used the noctua before and am pretty set on a water cooling build. Also thanks for the advice, the 7990 and motherboard you suggested will probably be added and I will look at the other SSD's you mentioned thanks for the advice
March 21, 2012 5:42:46 PM

Then get those custom loops, not the premade ones.
March 21, 2012 5:49:15 PM

Ok well I'll haw a look around for some components for a custom loop
March 21, 2012 5:54:34 PM

stick with the ASUS board, i have the same board and love it. The ASUS features are worth the extra money alone.

Also drop the OCZ SSD and get a crucial m4. Better reliability and you get 4 more gbs. They also have a 128gb too if you got the money.

The gtx 580 just dropped in price too, to $420. I got one and love it. The 1050w will be enough to sli 2 of them.

I also recommend a mid tower, the antec 1100, is a great medium between a mid tower and a full. Has pretty much everything you would need.
March 22, 2012 2:26:03 PM

i would recomend to stick with hd 7000 like 7970 or get the 680 which is of 500$ by toms hardware and is more than 30% faster than hd 7970 :o  :o 

and if you want mid tower then get haf 912 it has the perfect price for performance , compatiblity , reliability and expandibility :lol: 

and if you want to go asus no problem i was just lowering the budget and i personally use asus republic of gamers motherboard is sexy looking and works and overclocks awesome :D 

that what i wanted to say

and silverstone is also a tier 1 psu maker it ranks 2-3 in my list as seasonic(i.e. corsair and xfx and seasonic itself) makes the best psu and then silverstone and then antec :D 

hope this would help :) 
March 22, 2012 3:08:44 PM

That's actually not a bad prebuilt WC loop. I would personally want a different radiator and not use the premixed coolant (distilled water is the best, cheapest, most convenient and least troublesome). However, it's got a solid pump and block which is where most of those prebuilt loops fail.

If you're dead set into the watercooling, consider posting in the WC forum (under the Overclocking section) and we can help you out. There's a few guys from the UK that are regulars, so they'll have more relevant info than I would (USA).

Dunno why everybody is against full towers. I personally like the size (yes, it is huge) but I can't work in a mid tower - not enough room for me, my components, and my watercooling stuff. If you can go see one or measure out the physical dimensions I would recommend it - they may not be for everyone but that doesn't mean people don't want them ;) 

1050W is overkill for almost anything. It really depends on the GPU, but I'm agreeing with the solid 850W recommendation (AX850 comes to mind immediately).

March 22, 2012 5:06:49 PM

Thanks for all the advice and I'm dead set on a full tower as I have used mid tower cases before and like boiler said not enough room to work with and that was without water-cooling and as this one is definitely a watercolour build I think I'm going with a full tower, so saving money on the PSU is a good idea. I already have 12gb of corsair vengeance RAM so I didn't include that ad I have a western digital caviar black 1tb, however do not have an SSD so that is something I'd like to test but just for the OS, thanks for all the advice guys
!