Gaming pc on sdtv how will it look?

whenweescape

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
So i'm building new gaming pc and im looking to hook it up to my 55" rca rear projection tv. I dont have the funds to buy a pc and a new tv at the moment and i really just want to have a pc to play bf3 and other games on rather than my ps3. My ps3 is hooked up to it right now with a component cable so you can get an idea where im at right now. Basically im trying to find out how its gonna look with a decent pc connected with a dvi to component cable and how it will work overall with the refresh rate and what not. The pc will have an i5 2500k, asus/msi 560 ti 1g, 8g of ram and a decent mother board. How much is the graphics card going to matter being that its only 640x480 but its on a 55"? Will it be almost equivalent to an hdtv with a low resolution? I've watched countless benchmarks and other videos on youtube trying to get an idea of how much better it will look than a ps3, but since its going to be on a sdtv and the videos are recorded with fraps im not sure how that will balance out when its on a sdtv. I'm a little new to pc gaming so I would appreciate any info I can get on this set up. Thanks!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Honestly, it going to look quite poor compared to just about any monitor you could possibly use. TVs are meant to watched from a distance. Monitors up close.

It will look no better than a PS3 and you will be disappointed. Sorry.

D

Deleted member 217926

No......not even close to as good as a PS3. A PS3 puts out 720p then upscales it to 1080i. You are going to be using 480. It's going to be nearly unreadable. The graphics card is going to be doing almost nothing. At that low a resolution the CPU will do most of the work in most cases.

whenweescape

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
By the way I am planning on getting an hdtv in the future at some point not too far off so this isn't a long term thing but I'm trying to cope with what I have right now while I save for a new tv

D

Deleted member 217926

You can get a nice 22-23in 1920 x 1080 computer monitor for less than $200.

whenweescape

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012

Yeah that was my plan b if this tv didn't work out so it's looking like I might have to do that..

D

Deleted member 217926

I am honestly not even sure a new graphics card will still display 640 x 480. That was my Windows 95 resolution on a 15in CRT monitor.

whenweescape

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012

That's a bangin deal but it's sold out right now.. There is a few acers around 150 on new egg I'm checking out right now though I might just go with one of those

The game will look fine not awesome like it should but it will look OK not as good as PS3 but just as good as PS3 hooked up to stadard def TV and maybe better because of the dx11 effects.

It will look like PS2 with a little more zazz I used to play some dx 9 games on my 55" projector (bought for guitar hero) it wasn't that bad except for RTS the units looked like little thumb prints.

OH yearh text below 24 font size is gonna be nearly impossible to read.

D

Deleted member 217926

Might be back in stock. I just got as far as adding it to to my cart and it did not say anything about being out of stock.

I've set my monitor to 800x600 and that is nearly unusable. Just basic Windows windows go off screen all the time. I can't image lower res than that.

What is your budget? We can definitely help get a PC and a monitor to all fit in the budget and game pretty well. Trust me, even a mediocre monitor sitting 2-3 feet away from you looks really, really good compared to a SDTV.