Sign in with
Your question

GeForce 8600M GS and really low FPS

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 15, 2012 5:45:49 PM

I'm using the above mentioned graphics/video driver to play Star Wars: The Old Republic.

I have my graphics settings both in-game and through the nvidia control panel set to pure performance (so low graphics quality), but the game runs at an average of 10 FPS.

Does anyone know whether this amount of FPS should be expected for this game and for this graphics driver? My computer's specs meet all of the minimum requirements for the game, and even a few of the recommended requirements.

More about : geforce 8600m low fps

a b Î Nvidia
January 15, 2012 6:55:56 PM

From official site:

Quote:
Star Wars: The Old Republic requires a video card that has a minimum of 256MB of on-board RAM as well as support for Shader 3.0 or better. Examples include:

ATI X1800 or better
nVidia 7800 or better
Intel 4100 Integrated Graphics or better

8600M is WAY weaker than 7800..
m
l
January 15, 2012 11:30:07 PM

I do recall reading this on their website, but when I looked through my nvidia control panel, i have 512 onboard RAM as well as support for Shader 3.0, so I figured it wouldn't make that much of a difference. Apparently it does, huh? Considering my average FPS count is between 8 and 10.

If it's worth anything, I used to play world of warcraft on this machine with zero problems and an average 60 fps with vertical sync on (minimum graphics of course), while at the same time running dual display on an external monitor.

I'm just frustrated as to why my laptop is so suddenly completely inadequate.
m
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
January 16, 2012 9:03:17 AM

well, world of warcraft is 7 year old game :p . And graphics card's memory isn't the main parameter, which its speed depends on.
m
l
January 16, 2012 9:17:18 AM

You 8600M GS is equal to a standard 6800 GPU. SWTOR won't run on that
m
l
January 16, 2012 9:23:53 AM

An 8600M GS is a 4/5 Year old GPU to start with. Rope in the fact that its a low end Mobile Graphics chip and you have yourself an issue!

Its time for you to join the lucrative world of Desktop PC Gaming. £400 and you'd have yourself a machine with enough power to play SWTOR on Medium settings. £500 and you can up that to High without AA. £600+ and you have yourself a system that can run it on max everything. (This is without a monitor - it seems you have one)
m
l
!