Best AMD CPU for Gaming?

voiidwulf

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2012
I am going to build a computer in about a month, and I'm kind of conflicted as to wether I should get an AMD CPU or an Intel one. The AMD CPU's are so cheap, and looking at the stats, seem perfect.
For example, the FX 4170:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819106009
It has a stock clock speed of 4.2 GHz. That's pretty awesome IMO, comparing that to the $100 more 3570K's 3.4 GHz.

I was going to get an Intel CPU, but it doesn't really fit my budget very well. The extra $100 kind of screws things up.

So basically, would I be OK with an AMD, and if I were to get one, which one is best?

Heres the rest of the specs:
AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256bit
8GB G.Skill 1600 MHz RAM
500GB Seagate 7200RPM HDD

Thanks,

I would say it really depends on several factors. Although I will say I agree with muffin, grab the 2500K. $10 dollars is 10 dollars and my opinion Ivy doesn't deserve to be paid a single penny more for than a Sandy.

Some of the factors it would depend on:

1. What games you're playing. If you're doing heavy intensive games a lot like Starcraft II and Skyrim, then go ahead and grab the 2500K and keep the 7850.

2. What resolutions. If you're playing on an old VGA monitor, honestly the 7850 is probably overkill. If you're got a nice 22 inch+ 1080p monitor and expect to play games in super high resolutions, then you're better off with the stronger GPU, maybe even step up to a 7870.

voiidwulf

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2012
Oh, I thought it ment like 700W + the CPU and stuff. I edited my last post, but I will repeat since you might not of seen it.

At what point would the CPU bottleneck the system? (With the Phenom II)

It wouldn't at all, again technically. But like I mentioned before, there are a handful of games on the market that are more CPU intensive, in which case the CPU would hold back the GTX 670. If you're curious which games these are, these are generally the ones that Tom's and other sites use to benchmark (since they want games that really test out the CPU), Skyrim, Starcraft II, Dirt 3, Metro 2033 (which is a friggin cluster0000 with its FPS rates no matter what CPU you use it seems to me), and Crysis. Even so, these games would still be completely playable at fully maxed settings.

ROad86

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012
From my point of view if you are tight on bugdet buy an am3+ mb with an Fx-4170(this is at 4,2 or I am wrong?) 8gb of ram a reasonable fast HDD and a 7850. Later you can upgrade your cpu with the piledriver version at the end of 2013 for example whne you will find them extremely cheap like phenom II and probably add another 7850 for crossfire.