RiZ

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2001
I have an older system that uses 72 pin SIMM non-parity memory. I currently have 96 MB (2-32MB and 2-16MB) EDO memory. My system can go as much as 256MB of memory. Would I notice much of an improvement if I increase the memory either to 192MB (2-64MB and 2-32MB) or to the max of 256MB? Or, would most application run about the same as the 96 MB? Also, if increasing the memory would help, how much difference would I see if I go to EDO with 2K refresh rate vs EDO with 4K refresh rate? EDO with 2K refresh rate is slightly more that twice the cost of 4K EDO memory....is it worth the added cost?
Thanks!

G

Sorry, this isn't really an answer to your question, but one of my own, put here because it relates:

What speed/socket is your system? I am currently working on upgrading an older system (PI 200 on a socket 7 mobo). I need 72 pin EDO SIMMs for this thing, right? I'm pretty sure that that's the right type of memory, but it would really annoy me to go out, buy the stuff and then realize that I've got the wrong type...

McEwin

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You might want to consider what programms you are running. Its hard to judge if you don't already know what your setup is and what you mainly do. Later versions of windows may perform marginally better with more ram if a lot of multi-tasking is in progress or you like to manupulate large images. However it is more likely to improve through a processor upgrade or a hard-drive upgrade. 96MB is not bad (especially if you running say win95)

Again this is a general rule cause I don't know your individual case. I don't know much about EDO ram to be honest but I doubt the system speed advantage will be worth it.

Hope that is some help!

McEwin

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You can double check the memory type by using SiSofts Sandra

download at: www.sisoftware.demon.co.uk

Goto Mainboard information should give your memory types etc.

Similarly you can enhance the system speed a little with memory tweaks. www.tweakfiles.com are good place to go (if you haven't already been ;) If you reside in the UK, check out ComputerShoppers tweak artical.

McEwin

PS Don't mean to be patronising if you aleady know all this!

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
How much are you paying for the RAMs. I think it is very expensive to get EDO RAM now. You might be able to get a new mb, cpu and more sdram for the price you pay the EDO RAM.

G

no matter what u do adding more ram will always increas prafomance maybe not just windows praformance. but multitasking will be much smother. and as general rull now adays make sure u have at least 128megs. u have to take what programs need. say a program wants 64 megs and u got 98. ok take 32 away from the 98 for windows since it need so much ram and u have 64 left. ok now your unning at bare minimum. more ram would help.windows wants about 32 or 64 for its self but wont take ift if its not there. so make sure u ahve at least 128 i use 256 and have so many ram problems im always running out. but with edo hmmm that maybe hard to do. with the price and all. edo is much better then parity or non parity lol well and then theres fastpage (lets not go there) edo is the best bet in any case when it comes to 72 pinn. jsut remember u cant have to much memory. just not enough money to get it. you will always get a boost even though alot of times you probly wont notice. however its there.

Computer Shop owner and Head tech.