Sign in with
Your question

CPu & gpu temp problems

Last response: in CPUs
July 5, 2012 7:24:31 AM

Hello, I've been having problems with the heat my computer is generating ever since I got it. I thought my CPU ran unusually hot when I first got it(idle 55c) so I got an aftermarket cooler and thermal paste(idle 40c). Since getting my CPU cooler I decided that my temps were nothing to worry about and so I ignored them until now. 6 months later I've upgraded my gfx card to a 670gtx and it's having exactly the same problem. it idles at 60c, while going up to 92c while gaming. I've tried running my computer with both sides of the case off, but it doesn't seem to help the temperature at all.

I'm a little stumped as to what could be the cause of this problem, or how to treat it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.
sata2 1tb hdd
670gtx
550w cooler master psu
no other devices.

More about : cpu gpu temp problems

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 5, 2012 7:39:28 AM

are you sure you have all the pins of the heatsink secured?

what aftermarket cooler do you have?
m
l
July 5, 2012 7:45:08 AM

I haven't touched the heat sink on my GPU, and my CPUone is attached correctly. I've had it on and off 3 or more times to ensure that everything was secure and that the heat paste was done correctly.

I believe I have a Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.C CPU Cooler with 2 fans, one pushing, one pulling. if it isn't that it is something similar.
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 5, 2012 8:29:33 AM

ok so whats your volts and do you have an overclock on that?
m
l
July 5, 2012 8:56:02 AM

My gfx card is runnig at 0.987v according to GPU-z. My cpu is 1.15v accoridng to cpu-z
m
l
July 5, 2012 8:56:12 AM

*no overclocks. They both run hold stock speed.
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 5, 2012 9:08:50 AM

you got any case fans? taking of the sides does help let heat out but it really doesn't replace air flow. your temps are 15c-20c higher than ought to be across both.
m
l
July 5, 2012 10:23:58 AM

I do have a couple of case fans, nothing major. I'm aware it's hotter than it should be, but I can't work out why!

I don't suppose a faulty PSU could have any impact? Not that I know my PSU is faulty, but I'm running out of ideas.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 5, 2012 11:21:39 AM

Are you talking about the GPU or CPU with regards to the 2nd temps. If it is the GPU then both are operating within acceptable limits.

If it is your CPU that has increased it is probably that the GPU is exhausting into the same airflow as is used on the CPU cooler. Try changing the PCI-E port you connect it to and check if that helps things.

What is the room temoperature, is your case located near a radiator?

the 670 is a powerful GPU, but should operate <100C.
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 5, 2012 6:52:41 PM

i am more inclined to blame the case or the air flow than the PSU. i have never heard of a PSU making components run hot. the idle for a GTX 670 was measured at 32c and 72c under load:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5818/nvidia-geforce-gtx-6...

the post above me has a good suggesting regarding helping the cpu temp but that gpu temp is flonky.
m
l
July 5, 2012 7:12:59 PM

americanbrian said:
Are you talking about the GPU or CPU with regards to the 2nd temps. If it is the GPU then both are operating within acceptable limits.

If it is your CPU that has increased it is probably that the GPU is exhausting into the same airflow as is used on the CPU cooler. Try changing the PCI-E port you connect it to and check if that helps things.

What is the room temoperature, is your case located near a radiator?

the 670 is a powerful GPU, but should operate <100C.

My GPU.

My CPU operates at 65-70 gaming under load , while my gpu goes up to about 93 deg. It is winter here so the room temp is fairly low(15-20c?) My case isn't lcoated near a heat vent of any kind.

To the next poster; I'm sure you're right about the airflow in my case being less than ideal, but I would expect both my CPU and GPU to have far lower idle and load temps than reported with the side of my case off. It confuses me that both parts seem to be operating at near 20c higher than they should be. When given the chance I'm going to try and plug the gfx card into a different comp and see if it changes the temps.

Thanks for the ideas, please keep them coming if you're in the know! :) 
m
l
July 6, 2012 10:27:59 PM

Shameless bump to promote my problems!
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 6, 2012 10:39:23 PM

i was waiting to see if you tested the gfx card in another rig. if it does make a difference, i am eyeballing that coolermaster PSU.

how it could be the problem (?)
too much 'noise' in the power it is providing that is causing heat (?)
i can only guess. sorry.
m
l
July 6, 2012 11:42:04 PM

Ah, I'm afraid that is a long term test. I don't have a second pc, so I have to wait until the opportunity arises.

I don't' know how the PSU could be the problem. Then again, I don't know what else could be causes it either, I'm pretty much stumped.

I might just splurge out on some new cooling for the 670 if I can't figure out the cause. Seems a bit silly to treat the problem at such a high level, but ohwell I'm running low on options..
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 6, 2012 11:56:06 PM

beg a friend to crack oopen their case and swap out their gpu with your 670, they may like the idea of playing with it for a few hours are "payment"
m
l
July 7, 2012 12:11:55 AM

Haha yeah. I'll do it sometime, it's just inconvenient, but I will get around to it. I;m not quite sure how to take the result of that little experiment yet either way.
m
l
!