not_me

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
While i am not exactly sure, where to post this, i hope i'll just get the answers here.
So, I've been looking for the most power for the least expense for very low budget. I've been looking for used Servers. Best I've been able to find to this moment is 280€ for 2 x 4 core @1~1.83 server with 8 GB DDR2 ecc RAM.
Do You know anywhere where, in Eu, to find cheap used servers? Or would it just be easier to build some pc's?

What i'm looking to do with those is some Java-multitasking, which would be pretty resource, mainly CPU and ram, hungry.

Anyway, thanks in advance for possible answers.

Hi,

A 'server' usually has things like ECC memory, redundant power supply, XEON processors with extra checking, etc.

a 'desktop' uses cheaper part to give the same perormance at a lower cost. (I use desktops not servers, the extra money for servers is not worth it to me.

"I've been looking for used Servers. Best I've been able to find to this moment is 280€ for 2 x 4 core @1~1.83 server with 8 GB DDR2 ecc RAM. " Did you mean used servers or used desktops?

"280€ for 2 x 4 core @1~1.83 server with 8 GB DDR2 " This is probably a server. A new low end i3-2120 based system is around that price and would substantially outperform anything still using DDR2.

"i'm looking to do with those is some Java-multitasking, which would be pretty resource, mainly CPU and ram, hungry."

Maybe look at a few benchmark and find one that seem similar to what you want to do. Then compare CPUs to find one you like.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Also you need to keep in mind what are you going to use the server for? If it's just a fileserver and you can stand rebooting every week or so, desktop parts and linux may do fine for what you want, or even an old copy of XP Pro if you have a good license.

If you wish to do more application hosting and things like that, and need to have guaranteed uptime, then I would definitely suggest a server with raid 5 functionality. If all you are doing is a file server, standard desktop should work, just be sure to grab an external hard drive and do daily or at least weekly backups.

not_me

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
What i would use it to is to run some Java programs for prolonged time on it (more than a couple days), and my main focus is the processing power as the programs would be very processor hungry and i don't see a I3-2120 fitting my heave processor needs.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
It depends what you are doing. One way you could look is AMD. While guys say for gaming and what not that i3 is actually better, if you can get a 6 core 1090t or better, that may be a way to go due to the fact that you would have 6 physical cores and it should multitask at least decently. If that's not enough power then you probably need to be looking at least at an i5 quad or an i7, but then you start talking about more $$. But also too, consider that you may wish to get an actual server and not just a desktop box if redundancy is something you are going to need as you don't want your apps crashing 2 days into a process.

not_me

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
Hmm, purchasing a Phenom II 6 core machine would most probably make sense, or would a Bulldozer 8120 be better for multitasking, seeing it has two more cores?

An i5 crushes the bulldozer. If the workload tolerates higher n-way then the hyper-threading i7 range would give even better performance. If the workload maxes memory bandwidth or doesn't scale out well (locking/threading problems) then the i5 would work better. My i7-920 runs with hyper threading off.

P.s. "...and i don't see a I3-2120 fitting my heavy processor needs. " You do see from benchmarks that the I3 puts a hurt on anything on the server side running DDR2 if the workload doesn't scale out well to many CPUs. IF the I3 can't carry you then an old dual socket x 4 core server running at "@1~1.83" is going to have trouble. Guessing that's a Quad Xeon 1.83Gz E5320 by 2 sockets. single E5320 = 2,270 passmark. Single Intel Core i3-2120 @ 3.30GHz = 4,192. http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i3-2120+%40+3.30GHz