Fshing a 1gb 6950? its possible!?

supmag

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1608/1/

"1GB models are upgradable as well, however for the full 6970 upgrade a 1GB BIOS is required."

Well I could buy the 2gb problem is
1.) I'll have to buy a new motherboard for crossfire
2.)If I sell my current card it will sell for half price
3.)I'm a broke student......

So is there any way to update the bios to make this work atall?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
1. Why would need a new mobo to CF?

2. What is your current GPU?

3. Been there, done that.

Unlocking GPUs as discussed in the article can be successful. They can also fail. Often, the resultant GPU is not quite stable.

My advice, save your money to buy the real deal. Not worth the risk of possibly bricking an otherwise good GPU (especially because of #3).

supmag

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
meh! well my motherboard has only one PCI-E slot and I thought you can always switch back to the older version of the bios no?

PurpleHayes

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2011
It's a little riskier than that :/ For one, you've really got to make sure you have a reference model of the 6950--they're the ones that can unlock, and they have that dual BIOS switch that lets you easily revert to a stock BIOS. If you don't have that and your motherboard doesn't have onboard graphics, you'll have no graphics output if the BIOS flash doesn't go smoothly.

Also, there's no guarantee that the unlocked cores will be functional, nor is there a guarantee that your 6950 could handle the increased clock speeds of the new BIOS-it could overheat your card.

I have to ask--what do you need a "6970" for if you have the 6950? If your games are running well enough as is, there's no need to unlock your GPU.

There are 1GB 6970 BIOSes out on the internet if you really want to flash your 6950, but it's not really worth it IMO.

supmag

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
tbh games are running fine just thought why not get some extra fps if its possible but if its to risky I'd rather not do it then

COLGeek

Cybernaut

No, necessarily. You really should stick to the HD6950. Just not worth the risk.