Sign in with
Your question

Just a thought

Last response: in Networking
August 5, 2005 7:02:26 PM

I was driving to lunch today thinking about a home setup I want to try then I realized I didn't know if it would even work at all.

Right now, I have a router in place connecting to my cable. I'm wondering if I would be able to put in a second router and connect from the switch to WAN port, might need a cross-over since I'm not aware off-hand if it's MDI-X compatiable.

Cable - Router A 192.168.1.1 - Router B 10.1.1.1 ->

Alright, so I'm thinking DHCP wouldn't matter if I connect in over the WAN port from the other router.
The 2nd router would pick up DHCP Info off the first router, or at least in theory should with the right cable, if that's even problem.
Then I connect my computers in, no big deal then..

I can only think the problem would be getting out, as it would have to go through NAT twice which I hear is messy. I saw disable internal NAT translations, but I don't think that touches on dual router configuration..

I might have to mess around. That'd be cool to have another private network.

What I'm looking to do is get my home network setup with my server doing all the work since my roommate has his Dlink wireless router in place. In order for things to work how I want them to, I need my server dishing out DHCP and a few other things instead of his router. I don't feel like screwing with his equipment because I don't want to deal with fixing it for him later, even though he's a tech too.

More about : thought

August 8, 2005 12:23:17 PM

Why would you need to set up two routers again? Seems a little messy. I would just run one router to one switch and let the server dish out IPs and turn the DHCP on the router off.

Router to Router would need a crossover cable im pretty sure.

My PC:
Abit AX8 Socket 939 VIA K8T890
AMD Athlon 64 3200 Winchester
Sapphire Radeon X700 Pro 256 Mb PCIe
WD Raptor 37 Gb SATA
Corsair 2x512 PC3200 DDR Dual-Channel Platnium Edition
August 8, 2005 12:53:46 PM

I'm looking to have a second network behind my router. I don't want my roommate's computer on my network, as I want my server to do all my work. I don't want him on my server or thinking I'm causing him problems.

While I could go through and set him to a static IP and disable his router's DHCP, chances are he'd complain about doing it.

He's basically a level 2 desktop tech at some local hospitals.. but he doesn't understand a lot of things and I don't feel like going through and having to tell him how to reset his router and such.

I'd prefer a completely second and private IP.. but then I'm sure that'd give me problems running Exchange.. and as Kwebb pointed out in another post, NAT over NAT doesn't work.. but he mentioned running older routing services probably wouldn't be much better.

In this case I think I'll pick up some cisco equipment off ebay to create a virtual network on my end.
Related resources
August 8, 2005 2:38:02 PM

can you set the dhcp on your router to use multiple DHCP scope.

If so you could put him on a different subnet. As long as your server isnt on his subnet he shouldnt be able to hit it. He would still be using your router though.

My PC:
WD Raptor 37 Gb SATA
August 8, 2005 2:44:58 PM

Thought about that, but it wouldn't work either way. I'd have to go static in that case, because you can't have 2 scopes behind 1 router. That'd create a conflict.

I'll probably just go with a virtual LAN instead..

I want to be able to use my server's DHCP to dish out select information and avoid using the router for that purpose. I could use my server to dish out DHCP, keep the router in place, but create a reservation for his PC and give him a static IP though.. I'll have to talk to him on it. He whines a lot..haha.
August 8, 2005 3:23:06 PM

yeah if you did it with the server you may be able to create more than one scope.. im not that familiar with the server side.

sounds like you guys need two cable modems. lol

My PC:
WD Raptor 37 Gb SATA
August 8, 2005 3:53:41 PM

Yeah.. not for 45/month though. haha

I can pick up a cisco router and create a virtual lan on my side and do what I want I think. It'll probably run me 60 dollars to do that though so it's not a huge deal.

The problem is finding the time to do it all.. I don't seem to have anytime to do anything I want.
August 8, 2005 5:02:38 PM

vlans are fun...

the question is.. Will your router handle the VLAN traffic. I know on Cisco switches/routers you have to set up trunk lines. I Havent seen a trunk option in normal broadband routers.

My PC:
WD Raptor 37 Gb SATA
August 8, 2005 5:29:47 PM

Good point.. it's getting expensive at this point.. haha.

I can configure it but it won't have internet access.. which semi-defeats the purpose... unless I set up a second NIC on my server and give that direct access and use it as a proxy..

but at this point.. maybe I'll just put him to static and be done with it..
August 8, 2005 5:36:28 PM

it wouldnt be that bad if you could set up two networks off of one router.

My PC:
WD Raptor 37 Gb SATA
August 8, 2005 5:49:35 PM

Yeah.. but it's a matter of probably picking up a managed switch off ebay (50-80 dollars) [lucky if it supports vlan] then possibly a router that can handle that routing from layer 2 to 3. I've been checking pricing and it'll be costly..

But I'm just going to set up DHCP for X addresses and make them reservations via MAC address.. then I won't have to worry about his computer.
August 8, 2005 7:45:18 PM

lol just tell him to screw off and find his own network connection... lol

What about hooking the routers together like you said, but turn NAT off on all the routers except the one that connects to the modem. Let your server hand out address to you, and let the router hand out addresses to your buddy.

That way you can make your side private, but you will still only be using NAT on one router.

My PC:
WD Raptor 37 Gb SATA
August 8, 2005 8:27:27 PM

Originally that was my thought.. but I can't disable NAT on the Linksys BEFSR41 router, according to Linksys.

I might be able to download a 3rd party firmware, but I don't want to bother with that.
August 9, 2005 12:09:29 PM

will your service provider allow you to pull more than one ip?

If so could it be possible to put a switch between your cable modem and your routers. Each cable modem would then get its own public IP.

My PC:
WD Raptor 37 Gb SATA
August 9, 2005 12:36:22 PM

It's an extra $5 a month I think.. I don't find it worth the money for the amount of time I get to spend dealing with it. I've had my server off for over 4 months because I haven't had time to mess with it.

The bar keeps calling. haha I'm too busy most of the time with other things.. and in my downtime I'm playing BF2 instead of always working to death.
!