My camera uploading movies area stilting. canon website says its my cpu. What

evarunnr

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012
i have a new Canon rebel T3. since I have been attempting my uploads to my adobe photshop it freezes on the upload. So I uploaded the Canon software. The movies are stilting (stuttering). I play on a friends computer and no problem. Looking at the help on Canon, the CPU sounds to be the problem.
pentium 4 CPU 2.60Ghz, 2.59 Ghz 1.23 RAM. Do I need to upgrade and what should I upgrade to and at what expected cost? thanks

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
That isn't always true though, is it? $hawn, forgive me if I'm wrong (and as I'm not expert, I might be) but doesn't the CPU handle video encoding? After all, my powerhouse computer cannot handle 4K resolution with a high end GPU, but my laptop with a better processor (and much weaker GPU) can.

$hawn

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Actually its both, he has a weak CPU by 2day's standards, plus he's probably using some extremely crappy integrated graphics.

Since he's having issues playing high resolution video, i suggested he get a dedicated GPU 1st, as they have a hardware decoder built into them to offload the video decoding job from the CPU. :) Also, IIRC latest versions of adobe software can use the GPU for accelerating certain image processing work loads, so that too could help improve performance dramatically. :)

PS:- I mite be wrong myself :D

evarunnr

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012

Well, I have done some homework on my computer and have found that my processor is the culprit. Actually, my whole computer may be the problem. There is no more servicing on the Adobe photoshop 3. It does not handle the higher tech Canon photography and so freezes up. I have an 8 year old model of computer that I had built for me. At that time it was top of the line. To rebuild a new computer it will cost ~1000.00. this brings me up to the I-7 processor 12gb RAM, and a parabyte of 1000GB. ( hope I understood this). It will come with microsoft 7 that contains office and excel 2010. It should handle the camera at any setting and allow me more space for my movies and pictures. I asked about just getting a video card. I was told there were other items that would need to be obtained with that option (best buy geek) and it deflected my decision towards a new computer after finding out it is 8 years old. So next question would be am I able to get this I-7 processor and install it myself? Or would it be best to rebuild or just buy a ready made desk-top computer? Oh, by the way I am a she not a he>lol

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011

Actually, that is a Terabyte. A Petabyte is 1,000 Terabytes. :)

Its better to build your own computer, if you are capable of it. However, a new pre-built computer will still be adequate for your tasks. As a matter of fact, just about ANY modern computer you buy will blow your old computer so far out of the water that it'll eventually find itself blowing past the moon and well out of the solar system.

Look for a Intel Core i7 (a 3770 is preferred for the work it sounds like you will be wanting to do, otherwise a Core i5 3570 will still be a great substitute)
8 to 16 GB of RAM
A modern nVidia GPU. However, a $1,000 budget might limit your options for this.

TRENDING THREADS