Need home networking advice

kain976

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
I am getting a NAS to store my media for my media players. I need to know where I should place this in my network? As my network stands now with the Directv receivers, If one pulls video from the other receiver, it really slows down my internet to my pc's. I dont want to add to the problem when adding NAS and streaming video from it. tia!

Home_Network.jpg

kain976

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
I have 1 cat5 running to 1 room and 1 cat5 running to another. I had to split the line in the 2 rooms to connect my devices.

With Directv you can record a show on 1 dvr and watch it on another if you have them networked.

would it be possible to connect the SwitchB and SwitchA to new separate switch (SwitchC), and then SwitchC, pcA, and pcB to the router?

The SwitchC would take load away from the router.

are you using the PS3 and the media player B at the same time?

kain976

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Yes, that makes sense, thanks! I will have to buy one... while Im at it I might as well upgrade to gigabit switches, whats your opinion on that?

No, I doubt I would use them at the same time.

I was trying to find info an the ethernet cards in the DVr but could not. you could upgrade the switches; however, it will only increase through put if the devices connected are capable of Gigabit speed.

If the new switch you are buying is a Giga switch it will work fine with the equipment you have.