Sign in with
Your question

My new computer freezes every time I use it, a few minutes after it's up and run

Last response: in Systems
March 21, 2012 7:01:58 PM

ok, so I built a computer a few days ago. Had some basic things, got it all set up. But it freezes every time I use it, I have to turn it off because nothing else can happen. here are my specs.
mobo-Biostar TA990FXE
cpu-AMD FX-8150 Black Edition
ram-2 sticks of Centon 1333 MHz 4gb ddr3
gpu-xfx radeon hd 5570
psu-thermaltake 550w psu
I updated all my drivers and I am running windows 7 ultimate 64 bit. Please help. I will start it up, just start doing things. Games, Internet, Downloads; and it always freezes at some point. The screen stops and I can't do anything, I can't open task manager or anything; I have to turn it off.
March 21, 2012 7:32:30 PM

Hi,

I would try running either memtest86+ or the windows memory test for a few hours to see if it is the ram causing the problem. You may also want to try running the computer with just one stick of ram installed at a time to see if one of them is causing the problem. Also try moving them to different ram slots in case it is a defective slot on the motherboard causing it. Faulty ram can cause blue screens, lockups, and other errors so I would try testing that first. You can also try to just reseat the RAM in its slot in case it has come loose.
March 21, 2012 10:01:44 PM

I will try moving and removing the ram, but I tried to run memtest and if froze during it. Thanks for the suggestion
Related resources
March 29, 2012 9:47:16 PM

ok, I'm still having problems. my computer runs fine, and then stops all of the sudden. I ran disk check and memtest, no problems detected.
April 9, 2012 10:10:13 PM

I took it to a computer shop and my power supply was bad, I bought a new one that works fine but it still has the problem. Could it be the graphics card or something? I have no ideas left.
April 11, 2012 8:26:52 PM

Hi,

Did you get a chance to try running it with only one stick of RAM at a time (especially where it happens while just using the internet and not necessarily while just playing games)? If not, I would try that incase memtest missed something. If it works fine with one stick for a few hours, then swap it out with the other stick and try it again. Also try them in different RAM slots in case one of those is bad. Something else you can try as well is to try running an operating system from a CD instead of using windows and the hard drive. Try downloading and installing something like Knoppix or another live distro for linux. If it runs fine, then I would say its the hard drive have the problem. It's possible your video card is the problem. The best way to check would be to install another video card to see if the problem happens again or not. If you have onboard video, take out your video card and use the onboard to see if the problem persists.
May 16, 2012 6:11:10 PM

I'm having the same issues. I have checked EVERYTHING. MemChecked it for hours and hours with no issues. Changed hard drives. Swapped out memory, removed memory. Changed video cards. And it still crashes randomly. I can't game on it at all. I've updated the BIOS. Flashed it, removed the CMOS battery. Yelled at it. Threatened it. Even tried being nice and pandering to it. Nothing is helping at all. And I can't get a response from BioStar yet. I've had this board for just over a month.
I'm running 4 sticks of Corsair 1333 4 gigs each RAM.
AMD 6100 processor.
And I've tried both a Radeon HD 5670 and a 5750 separately and together with no luck.
750 watt PS. Checks out fine.
I'm running Windows 7 64 bit.

I have never had an issue like this that I can't solve before. This has to be the board, or something with it. I have been checking the crash dumps...when it even creates them, and they suggest everything from drivers to fatal hardware errors.

I have updated every driver I can find. Both automatically and manually. I'm really close to playing motherboard frisbee atm.

I'm starting to think there is an issue with this MB or the BIOS in it from everything I'm reading. I just wish BioStar would answer me with something other than a canned response.
May 23, 2012 1:31:09 AM

Thanks for the ideas, but I tookit to a computer shop and it was a faulty mobo circuit...
August 5, 2012 5:52:31 AM

yoda2000675 said:
Thanks for the ideas, but I tookit to a computer shop and it was a faulty mobo circuit...

Did that fix it? Because i have the same mobo processor and ram as you and i'm having the same problem.
August 5, 2012 5:54:34 AM

yoda2000675 said:

Did that fix it? Because i have the same mobo processor and ram as you and i'm having the same problem.
August 5, 2012 5:56:26 AM

yoda2000675 said:

!