Best quad core AMD processor to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mouskydude

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2011
Hey people,good afternoon..

could you please tell me which one of these processors gives the best performance (is the best) out of those listed below?

AM3:

AMD Athlon II X4 640 Socket AM3 3GHz 2MB L2 Cache

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHz Socket AM3 6MB L3 Cache

AMD 960T Black Edition 3.0GHz Socket AM3 6MB L3 Cache

FM1 - Llano APU:

AMD Athlon II X4 651K Black Edition 3GHz Socket FM1 4MB L2 Cache

AMD A6-3670K 2.7GHz Socket FM1 4MB L2 Cache

AMD Llano A8-3850 2.90GHz Socket FM1 4MB L2 Cache

AMD 3870K 3GHz Socket FM1 4MB L2 Cache

AM3+:

AMD FX-4 4100 Black Edition 4 Core 3.6Ghz Socket AM3+ 8MB L3 Cache

AMD FX-4 4170 Black Edition 4 Core 4.2GHz Socket AM3+ 8MB L3 Cache

AMD FX-6 6100 Black Edition 6 Core 3.3Ghz Socket AM3+ 8MB L3 Cache

Is there anyway you could tell me the top 4 processors from the list please and if possible,could you please put the top 4 in order from best to worst. thanks everyone. take care, have a great day.

imo, from best to worst for gaming (for example, with radeon 7870/gtx 670) @1080p:
ph ii x4 965 b.e.
960T b.e.
fx 4100/4170
athlon ii x4 640
all cpus need overclock to perform better.
in terms of igpu and cpu performance -
a8 3870k
a8 3850
a6 3670k
for cpu based video editing -
fx 6100
ph ii x4 960T
you didn't specify which task so..

Uther39

Distinguished
While i agree at stock clocks the 4170 would be decent at 4.6-4.8Ghz. Its still a lose lose because amd is so horrible at gaming

i think your statement is a bit strong and to say the least mis directed and mis leading, AMDs CPU are in no way horrible at gaming, in fact there more than capable as gaming cps, there just not quite as good as intel.

mouskydude

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2011
Big thanks guys,i really appreciate the help. i just basicly wanted a all round performance system on a budget. So it just performs really well and stable. and maybe i will play a couple of games on it. I was just making sure i get a decent system for my money so it can also handle future software/operating systems and just to make sure i build a decent system whats going to last long and keep up with some newer technologies. So like a pound for pound processor if that makes sence lol.

I am planning on buying 1 graphics card and by a dedicated PSU,im assuming you meana PSU which has a wire for the graphics card,i will buy on of those to if you guys think that would be best. (Im kind of an amature,bare with me lol).

But with the phenoms II x4's,they are AM3 sockets which only support ram speeds up to 1333mhz,where as the AM3+ supports ram speeds up to 1866mhz,so wouldnt it be better to go with the AM3+ because of the difference in ram speeds for overall performance?

And with overlocking,is it fairly easy? and will i be able to overclock the fsb and memory controller or whatever i need to overlock to work with higher ram speeds?

Will i be able to overlock the system and still have it running stable without errors and will my components be able to keep up with it? like they wont fail on me,the components will last for a while?

I know it all depends on how much you overlock,but when i've seen a guide on overlocking or anything to do with it,they always says its risky and can damage your components or bring the life expectancy of the components down a lot.

Sorry for the long reply's everyone,im just trying explain whats on m mind as well as i can lollol,dont forget,bare with me yall.lollol.

Big thanks again everyone!!

mouskydude

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2011
Sorry to double post,i couldnt edit the previous post, and just to make sure, is having a graphics card better than using on board graphics?

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012
Big thanks guys,i really appreciate the help. i just basicly wanted a all round performance system on a budget.

I'd take 965BE or 960T probably the 960T as I like a gamble and the possible unlock tempts.

But with the phenoms II x4's,they are AM3 sockets which only support ram speeds up to 1333mhz,where as the AM3+ supports ram speeds up to 1866mhz,so wouldnt it be better to go with the AM3+ because of the difference in ram speeds for overall performance?

The Phenom II's will work in AM3+ motherboards infact you would be a bit loopy to buy an am3 motherboard instead of an AM3+ one.

And with overlocking,is it fairly easy?

Very Very Very easy

Will i be able to overlock the system and still have it running stable without errors and will my components be able to keep up with it? like they wont fail on me,the components will last for a while?

Mine has yet to explode ;) you can overclock safely easily just dont try any silly OC speeds.

I know it all depends on how much you overlock,but when i've seen a guide on overlocking or anything to do with it,they always says its risky and can damage your components or bring the life expectancy of the components down a lot.

They have to say that so you don't sue them. Generally mild overclocking is a safe enough procedure the damage is done when people dont know what they are doing and mess with things to the extreme.

Sorry for the long reply's everyone,im just trying explain whats on m mind as well as i can lollol,dont forget,bare with me yall.lollol.

Its better to ask and be informed than not to ask and make mistakes :)

mouskydude

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2011

I went for the AMD because i thought it was the cheaper option?

mouskydude

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2011
big thankss for the reply everyone,you all been a big help!! big thanks wr6133!! will i still be able to run ram at speeds of 1866mhz or at least 1600mhz if i overclock the AM3 processor on a AM3+ motherboard?

mouskydude

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2011
thanks urban legend. Whats the difference between the 965 Black edition or 960T Black edition? are they roughly the same but the 960T runs cooler or uses less power or somethig like that?

mouskydude

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2011
And will the AMD 965 and 960T be able to handle 1866mhz of RAM,

and i know this off topic,but how do i edit posts? everytime i try to do so,it says i cant.

big thanks again everyone for all your help,much respect to you all!

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012
965 is a quad core

960T is a Hex (6) core thats been locked down to 4 cores. With the right board you may be able to unlock it to 6 cores (like the one in my sig) but this is not garuanteed it may have been locked down to 4 cores as one of the others is duff. It's a gamble.

Technically the cores in the 965 are slightly better than the 960T clock for clock. The only reason to buy the 960T is if you fancy having a gamble at getting an X6. Saying that though as X4's you will hit similar OC's with either and althought the 965BE is technically stronger I would just buy whichever costs less.

mouskydude

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2011
thanks again wr6133 and urban legend.thanks everyone,your all stars!you all been a big help,i'll let you all know how it turns out. take care everyone,have a great day!

now i got all the info i need!

this is how i look right now :bounce: :D lolllol take care yall.nuff respect.

mouskydude

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2011
Can the Phenom II X4's support USB3 and SATA 6gbps?
Also if i set the RAM to run at 1600mhz,will i need to overclock the FSB also?

Yes and Yes if the motherboard supports the features.

Phenom IIs don't have a Front side bus. But in a "Sort of" answer to your question, overclocking at the reference clock also bumps up the RAM. I'm not an overclocking pro, but I'm fairly certain thats accurate.

He is, lol. Last nite he was bragging about how tremendously better Ivy Bridge was over Sandy for gaming, and he put up a benchmark link that showed they didn't even break 1%, some people just have nothing better to do then start stuff.

for editing your post, there are two ways that should be available to you.
a quick edit: look for options in right lower corner of your posting, middle option should be 'quick edit'
edit: is also located in the same row of options (far left) but actually says 'edit', it takes yo to the 'full edit' screen.
then save..

For some reason, it doesnt let you edit posts if you are on tomshardware.uk , but it does if you are on tomshardware.com, dunno why that is, but its been like that for me as long as Ive been here.

Status
Not open for further replies.