My new build (Revision 1million)

modbus

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
Approximate Purchase Date: 8th April

Budget Range: ~$1500 before rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Games, movies, internet, general tinkering

Parts Not Required: OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Whatever is cheapest

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU fo' sho'

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: In the future

Monitor Resolution: 1920X1080

Additional Comments: This is what I have chosen so far:

Case: Cooler Master HAF-X
PSU: Antec EathWatts EA 650W
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K Quad Core Unlocked Processor LGA1155 3.3GHZ Sandy Bridge 6MB
CPU Heatsink: CM Hyper 212 EVO
Watercooling in the future maybe.
Thermal compound: Artic Silver 5 probably, or the one that comes with the heatsink
Motherboard: ASRock Z68 EXTREME3 GEN3 ATX LGA1155 DDR3 2PCI-E16 2PCI-E SATA3 USB3.0 SLI CrossFireX Motherboard
HD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM SATA3 64MB Cache 3.5IN Internal Hard Drive (ST2000DM001)
SSD: Future upgrade
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Memory
Optical drive: LG SuperMulti 24x DVD Writer, SATA, OEM, Black
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870
Monitor: Asus LCD VS247H-P LED Backlight 24inch Wide HDMI DVI VGA 1920x1080 50000000:1 2ms RetailCurrent
Speakers: Logitech LS21 2.1 Stereo Speaker System
Keyboard: Logitech G510
Mousemat: lol I don't know, not exactly top priority but I do need one

Now keep in mind these are all subject to change after discussion, it's why I'm putting this thread up. I have spent countless hours reading and watching reviews on components, but it's still good to get peoples opnion on what you choose. Anyway, onto the questions!

1. After reading this artice I'm now wondering if I should wait for Ivy Bridge? It states the equivilant of the i5-2500K in Ivy is the i5-3750K and only a few dollars extra. Is it worth it or should I get the i5-2500k Sandy Bridge anyway once Ivy Bridge is released (April 8th??) since it will be cheaper and the difference is next to nothing?

2. Someone mentioned to me that I might have clearence problems with my CPU heatsink and RAM. Has anyone built a similar rig to this have any input? I was told I could get the Corsair 2x4gb instead of the G Skill since they are lower profile but I didn't read great things about the Corsair ones... Also is there a heatsink similar to the Hyper 212+ but not with direct pipe contact? I've read about the gaps inbetween the pipes and rough surface finishes, don't fancy it really. Can the Hyper 212 (and the heatsink you reccommend) be turned so that it blows the air up and out the top of the case?

3. GPU - Christ what a headache, I'm pretty lost here.

4. Monitor - Is 1920x1080 the best resolution for 24"? Any recomendations here are welcome. I'm trying to find one with height adjustment.

5. Speakers - keyboard & mouse. Open to suggestion here too. You might guess I like Logitech for this type of stuff.

6. Mousemat - Bottom of the list haha anyone know of any unusual or interesting ones about?

I would suggest Rosewill, Antec, or Lian Li for cases, and Xigmatek or Noctua for CPU coolers.
Since you aren't buying until May, and new GPUs are coming out over the next couple of months, I believe you'll need to wait until then to decide what to get. If you were buying today, I'd probably suggest a GTX560Ti or HD7870 (the latter is stronger, but may have some new-driver issues).

modbus

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
Well the PSU I want is Antec, not CoolerMaster. Can you link me to some articles/reviews to support what you say about Coolermaster? BTW for my graphics card I'm not willing to pay more than $350

modbus

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
I've changed my purchase date to around mid-April. I also got answers to some of my questions:
1. After reading this artice I'm now wondering if I should wait for Ivy Bridge? It states the equivilant of the i5-2500K in Ivy is the i5-3750K and only a few dollars extra. Is it worth it or should I get the i5-2500k Sandy Bridge anyway once Ivy Bridge is released (April 8th??) since it will be cheaper and the difference is next to nothing?

Still not answered really, I'll more than likely stick with the SB i5.

2. Someone mentioned to me that I might have clearence problems with my CPU heatsink and RAM. Has anyone built a similar rig to this have any input? I was told I could get the Corsair 2x4gb instead of the G Skill since they are lower profile but I didn't read great things about the Corsair ones... Also is there a heatsink similar to the Hyper 212+ but not with direct pipe contact? I've read about the gaps inbetween the pipes and rough surface finishes, don't fancy it really. Can the Hyper 212 (and the heatsink you reccommend) be turned so that it blows the air up and out the top of the case?

After seeing some builds using these components, the worst I read is that the fan had to be lifted slightly to allow cleareance for the RAM, plus this article uses the same components and nothing is mentioned about cleareance problems. No answer either if I can turn the heat sink so the fan is blowing upwards. With the huge exhaust fan at the top of the HAF-X, in my mind it's better to have the heat sink fan blowing to the bigger of the 2 exhaust fans on the case.

3. GPU - Christ what a headache, I'm pretty lost here.
Pretty much decided on the Asus Radeon HD 7870

4. Monitor - Is 1920x1080 the best resolution for 24"? Any recomendations here are welcome. I'm trying to find one with height adjustment.

Got no answers here, I'm just going to stick with the one in my orignal list.

5. Speakers - keyboard & mouse. Open to suggestion here too. You might guess I like Logitech for this type of stuff.

Probably going to stick with the same speakers and maybe get some headphones too. Keyboard and mouse I might get a better set, undecided ATM.

6. Mousemat - Bottom of the list haha anyone know of any unusual or interesting ones about?

Yup, best thing to do is go into BestBuy or FutureShop and have a look.

I've also decided to get a surge protector, looking at this one. Any recommendations?

You've waited long enough. Would you be willing to wait a bit more? We're about to see the rest of Kepler, and if it's anything like the 680 at the mid-end it'll be worth waiting for.
1. Ivy may show up if you wait for Kepler.

2. Get the Hyper 212 EVO, which is HDT but very popular and cost-effective, and some low-profile RAM like the G.Skill Ares series or, yes, the Corsairs. All major models should be fine.

3. Kepler?

4. 1920x1080 is the only way to go. I don't know about height adjustment, though.

5. I highly recommend that you get your hands on a mechanical keyboard, at least to try it out. I have a Das, and it's changed my life, but you don't need to spend $130 to get a great board. An $80 Razer Blackwidow would be great too.
I'm a Razer mouse fan, but I don't have that much experience. Try as many as you can.
If you're any kind of audiophile, I can guarantee that those speakers will sound awful. You just can't get good sound quality for $25. If you don't care, go for it. If you do, do a whole lot more research and spend as much as you're willing to. I have a set of these, and they sound unbelievable: http://www.amazon.com/Avid-9900-65174-00-M-Audio-BX5-D2/dp/B005F3H6Q8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1333417689&sr=8-2
These would be fine as well: http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Studiophile-Powered-Monitor-Speakers/dp/B0051WAM64/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1333417689&sr=8-9

6. The Steelseries Qck is a good, cheap, large mat, around $12.

I don't know about the surge protector, unfortunately.

modbus

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
How much longer? Keeping in mind I'm not willing to pay more than CAD$350. I have my eyes on the ASUS Radeon HD 7870 now.

I'll check out the 212 EVO when I get the chance.

Yea, you are right about the speakers, I havn't even read any reviews about them, I do live in a apartment in a very quiet area so booming base isn't important, just decent quality.

modbus

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
Ahh too far away. It's my bday this month and I want to treat myself. Plus the longer I wait the more money I will pump into this, which is not a bad thing exactly but July is going to be a very expensive month for me so I need to start thinking about that too. The price isn't too bad on those speakers, I'll have a look later this evening.

modbus

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
Updated the OP, I made some changes/decisions:

Case is definatly the HAF-X
Getting the CM Hyper 212 EVO instead of Plus
GPU is going to be the Sapphier Radeon HD 7870
Not getting a keyboard and mouse combo anymore, I have the Logitech G510 chosen for now. I'm going into a store over the long weekend to play around with a few.
Speakers - I'm getting the Creative Labs Inspire T6160 5.1

modbus

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
The hicups seem to continue, orignally I was putting all the stuff on my GFs Amex because she gets a rebate on purchases and I don't. So we had 4 orders total:

BestDirect
NCIX
DirectCanada
Staples (for a desk)

I placed all the orders on Sunday, the next day in the evening DirectCanada e-mail me to say the credit card verification was not approved, so I call DirectCanada to see what the problem is and they basically repeat what the e-mail said, call your bank. As my GF is looking through one of her Amex bills she realises that the postal code is wrong! After calling them and chaging it, we decided to use her Visa instead because she gets better rebates on that and assuming that the other 3 orders will fail also. I call them each to change the credit card info and get the following responses:

BestDirect: There was no problem with the payment, it has gone through and it should be shipped soon (last I heard, it left Vancouver at 19:30 on Monday 9th)

NCIX: The guy told me it's better if he just cancelles the order and I make a new one with the other credit card, he said it's taking longer than usual to verify the credit card info so it probably means it's been rejected anyway. So that's what I do.

Staples: No problem with payment, desk should be delivered on Tuesday (It did)

So I re-order from NCIX and DirectCanada with the Visa, Tuesday DirectCanada e-mail me saying ccard verification failed (for the same reasons as before) and yesterday NCIX send me the same e-mail. Now I have checked the address again and again and it is correct so the only thing is there must be some small difference that is messing everything up, so my GF needs to call her bank to see but she is in the middle of exams right now and won't have the time to calll until next week! Nightmare!

Now for the cream on the coffee: My GF checked her credit card (Visa) statment online last night and there is a deduction for the exact amount that DirectCanada charged...???

I'm calling them today once they open in about 2 hours.

There goes my plan of having all the parts in my hands on of before my bday!

modbus

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
Well I got everything sorted on Friday, turns out Visa didn't have our appartment number on file which was messing everything up. I still find it very, very strange that DirectCanada take your money BEFORE they check your billing address...

modbus

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
BestDirect order arrived yesterday, I have the mobo, screen, surge protector and heat sink. Pics to follow. Waiting for NCIX to ship and DirectCanada shipped yesterday. I doubt I will have everything until next week :(

I ordered a GameCube controller and an adapater to connect it to the PC too so I can play GC games on the PC with Dolphin!

The best GC game ever made happens to also be the best multiplayer video game ever made.
66415-Super_Smash_Brothers_Melee-4.jpg

modbus

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
So I'm wondering... what do I do once everything is installed and I turn the PC on for the first time? Are there some things I need to do in the BIOS before I install Windows?

Is there any order I should install drivers/software once Windows is installed?

TRENDING THREADS