Home or Pre for under $1K...

tzcokc123

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
Hey Everyone,
I put this in the New Build section because it wont let me do both that and pre built. I'm looking to buy a pre built system or build my own for a grand or cheaper. I know very little about computers and am not a very hardcore pc gamer either. What I want is a system that will play any game at mid to ultra settings very well(w/o lag) when needed. I might play 5 hours a week I might play 8 a day. I just want the system to be ready when I need it. I am not an idiot so I assume with the help of tutorials and advice I could figure out how to build my own. I was online the other day and seen a Alienware X51 for $700. This seemed like a good deal since I thought it would play the games well and is decently priced. Though I may be wrong considering my ignorance on the subject. I don't need a monitor, keyboard or a mouse. Everything else is fair game. I know everyone is gonna go straight to "build your own" but if you have any suggestions for pre built systems I'd love to hear em'. Also I know their probably hundreds of threads with the same question it is just the ones I looked at were old and I just wanted to post a new one as to involve newer products if applicable. If you could help me out with any tools or other products I may need that most dont just have lying around it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for helping the computer illiterate. Game on...

obsama1

Distinguished
FIrst of all, do you have any parts you want to salvage from your old computer? Hard drive, DVD drive, etc? Save those 2 parts and you'll save a $100.

Also, Alienwares are expensive as hell. The X51 is terrible, when you can build a computer for the same price that's quad core, has 8GB or RAM, and can play games with maxed settings. I'll be back in a few min. with a build.

tzcokc123

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
Would a cooler or an ssd be needed? May be a stupid question. Would that setup be able to play Battlefield 3 at ultra? Also I didn't see an os anywhere but I might be wrong. Thanks for the reply btw keep em up.

obsama1

Distinguished
At 1080p, its 60+FPS(according to the YouTube footage of the card in action). If you overclock get a cooler, but luckily they're cheap(luckily the motherboard will let you overclock, if you want to). The best one is the Hyper 212 which is $20 after $10 rebate. I'll add it to the wishlist. And yeah, I forgot the OS. SSD? Nah, unless you really need the quick boot up time. Do you want Storage vs. Speed. If storage, get an HDD, if speed, get an SSD.

tzcokc123

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
Thanks a bunch bro. Looks great and as you seen total comes out to about $810. Nice build. Ima let the thread ramble some more ideas out for a couple days n see if anyone has any other ideas but by the looks of things thats probably what I'm doin. Thanks a lot. Back to researchin. Game on...

obsama1

Distinguished
Changed to 1.5TB HDD and 8GB of RAM. Now $846. I can always change it back if you want. Also, do you live near a microcenter? They're cheaper than newegg by a large margin. Also, do you need anything else changed? Better case, i7, better video card, crossfire, sli, bluray burner, etc.

I would suggest at least a 7200 rpm HDD; The one that you was picked is only 5900;

g-unit1111

Titan

$1100 build and you're using a 6870 and a $44 case?

I would also *NOT* recommend using a Raidmax PSU - most of their stuff is flat out garbage.

Here's what I would recommend:

Case: Corsair Carbide 400R - $99.99 ($10.00 MIR)
PSU: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 - $89.99 ($15.00 MIR)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3H - $159.99
CPU: 3.30GHz Intel Core i5-2500K - $219.99
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo - $34.99
HD: Seagate Barracuda ST 1TB - $109.99
RAM: PNY 8GB 1600MHz 1.5V - $42.99
Optical: Lite On DVD Burner - $17.99
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 - $259.99

Total: $1,035.99 - $25.00 MIR = $1,010.99

g-unit1111

Titan

But you're still using an mATX board and on a full desktop system I *NEVER* recommend that. Your expansion options will be extremely limited and frustrating in the long run and you don't want to have to buy another motherboard if you can help it.

brewspy

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
I noticed that the mATX board also did not have any USB3.0 connections from the mobo to the front panel USB3.0s. That is something to watch out for, but most mobos will have 2 in the back anyways.

tzcokc123, I was in the same position as you a few weeks ago, but just researched the hell out of a bunch of parts and figured out which ones worked wellish together.

Also, how long would you be willing to wait for a new GPU? I know most of it is hype right now, but Nvidea is releasing a new line of cards soon which might (based on price wars in the recent past) lower the prices a little bit. I am personally using the same processor as mentioned above (2500K) for graphics while I wait to jump on any potential price drops. It should be able to handle Skyrim, for instance, on medium settings with no difficulty or laggy framerates. A $200 dedicated card can max it out.

obsama1

Distinguished
Kepler is way overhyped, just like bulldozer. nVidia is expenive compared to AMD. Besides, as soon as you buy Kepler, AMD is going to come out with their Pitcairn(not sure if it already came out)/Sea Islands. nVidia is delaying it because they have nothing to show for. It's all rumors until it comes out.

whyso

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012

Um, rumours ad leaks have it that the 680 gtx is faster than the 7970 and uses significantly less power, rumoured to launch at $500. southern islands just came out and are really good but quite expensive. sea islands likely will not be out until december or early 2013.

I think toms leaked some tests

Buts as you said, its all just rumours.

tzcokc123

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
I'm in no rush to buy anything right away but patience isn't one of my favorite things either. I am bvasically gonna mix and match some of these and other parts and research the crap outta them till I find somethin that works. Ill post somn later tonite or tom for further review. Keep it up. Game on...

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah but it's Biostar though - they have a significantly higher fail rate than anything Asus, Gigabyte, Intel, EVGA, or Asrock make. Don't judge a product by the number of positive reviews on Newegg it gets - look at multiple sources and magazines.