Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Brand new rig was working great, now it won't turn on.

Tags:
  • Components
Last response: in Components
July 5, 2012 3:48:35 PM

My friend just built me a new gaming rig with these components:

Intel Core i5 3570K Processor
Gigabyte Z77-D3H Mobo LGA1155
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler
Crucial 128GB m4 SSD
WD Caviar Black SATA III HDD
Corsair Vengeance Blue 2x4GB 1600mHz DDR3 SDRAM
Evga GTX560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra 1280 MB GDDR5 graphics card
Corsair GS700 PSU
-two front case fans and one rear case fan are also installed

Computer worked flawlessly for the first week and a half. Then it started to reboot or shut down randomly some times (No blue screen of death, just shut down flat), usually when I launched a game like neverwinter nights 2 or league of legends for example.

I made sure all connections/cables were ok and then was able to turn it on again. After PC went into sleep mode, it wouldn't wake when i moved the mouse or touched the keyboard, so I had to do a hard shut down. After that, it wouldn't turn back on at all.

Cleared the CMOS, left it alone, waited a day, it turned on the next morning. Turned it off that night, and then it wouldn't turn back on after that! Waited until the following morning, and was able to turn it on again.

It seems that my PC will turn on if I give it enough time between power ups, but it's extremely temperamental. When it's on, it works great, so I know the PSU isn't dead or anything like that. Temps are pretty cool too. This is quite disturbing because I can't pinpoint the root cause. What is going on??

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks for your help :) 

More about : brand rig working great turn

July 5, 2012 5:24:31 PM

Are youoverclocking anything (CPU, GPU, or memory)? If so, stop and revert to stock speeds until the system is stable.

Also, when the system shuts down on its own, try this. Disconnect the PSU's power cable (the one that plugs into the wall). Press the power button to discharge any residual power (seriously). Wait 1 minute and then reconnect the power cable. Tey to start the system.

If it starts, you likely have a defective (failing) PSU.

You have a heat or power issue. Last, how are you monitoring your system temps?
Score
July 5, 2012 5:58:12 PM

Thanks for the reply :) 

I'm not overclocking anything so no worries there.

I'm using hwmonitor to check system temps, this is from the log:

Hardware monitor ITE IT8728
Voltage 0 1.07 Volts [0x59] (CPU VCORE)
Voltage 1 2.05 Volts [0xAB] (VIN1)
Voltage 2 2.03 Volts [0xA9] (+3.3V)
Voltage 3 3.41 Volts [0xA9] (+5V)
Voltage 4 3.55 Volts [0x4A] (+12V)
Voltage 5 -3.84 Volts [0x50] (-12V)
Voltage 6 -6.05 Volts [0x7E] (-5V)
Voltage 7 2.84 Volts [0x8D] (+5V VCCH)
Voltage 8 1.58 Volts [0x84] (VBAT)
Temperature 0 32°C (89°F) [0x20] (TMPIN0)
Temperature 1 25°C (77°F) [0x19] (TMPIN1)
Temperature 2 28°C (82°F) [0x1C] (TMPIN2)
Fan 0 1131 RPM [0x255] (FANIN0)
Fan 1 481 RPM [0x57C] (FANIN1)
Fan 2 1087 RPM [0x26D] (FANIN2)
Fan 3 1154 RPM [0x249] (FANIN3)
Fan PWM 0 0 pc [0x0] (FANPWM0)
Fan PWM 1 0 pc [0x0] (FANPWM1)
Fan PWM 2 0 pc [0x0] (FANPWM2)

Anything look out of the ordinary on this?

I updated the BIOS to see if that will help. Also disabled sleep and power saver modes. If the PC shuts down on its own again I will try what you said. If the PSU is defective I'll replace it and hopefully that will change things!
Score
Related resources
July 5, 2012 6:10:27 PM

Temps look ok. Standing by.
Score
July 5, 2012 6:24:52 PM

What about the +12V number? Should it go down that low? Never paid much attention on mine and not at home atm, but I thought they all hung out right around the listed number, i.e. 12, 5.5, 3.3.
Score
July 5, 2012 6:56:53 PM

Yeah the +12V seems rather low but when I looked at the figure in bios it was 12.3 or so, so perhaps hwmonitor is not giving an accurate picture?

This time after the PC shut down (upon starting a game) I pulled the plug from the wall, pressed the power button, waited and plugged it back in, and the PC started when I pressed the power button again. Is this indicative of a failing psu? I don't understand exactly.
Score

Best solution

July 5, 2012 7:28:28 PM

oyone said:
Yeah the +12V seems rather low but when I looked at the figure in bios it was 12.3 or so, so perhaps hwmonitor is not giving an accurate picture?

HWMonitor probably has the wrong register map for your motherboard's monitoring chip so it shows bogus values that belong elsewhere in a bunch of places.

oyone said:
Is this indicative of a failing psu?

Computers failing to turn reliably and systematically shutting down upon starting a game or anything that causes PSU load to increase significantly is frequently caused by bad PSU. The PSU's voltage regulation is either dropping too far out of spec or letting too much noise through, this trips under/over-voltage protections and causes the PSU to shut down. Depending on PSU design, some require unplugging to reset the protection circuitry.
July 5, 2012 7:40:37 PM

Thanks for the explanation! I'm pretty convinced that this is the issue then. I will go out and get another psu and see if that will put an end to this.
Score
July 6, 2012 3:18:17 AM

Good luck with the new PSU.
Score
July 6, 2012 5:19:09 AM

Just installed new PSU. So far so good! No shut downs upon game launch and computer is turning on and off like normal. Can't believe the old PSU went bad after a week..hopefully better luck this time. Thanks for helping me correct this..what a relief!
Score
July 6, 2012 6:24:43 AM

oyone said:
Can't believe the old PSU went bad after a week.

It did not necessarily go bad over a week, it may have already been marginal by the time your friend gave it to you and your system's load may have given it the final push.

If you open the PSU's cover, take a look at the output caps (where all the DC power cables go to) and you will likely find that a few have some orange/brown crusty stuff on top, which would indicate that those capacitors leaked. If someone you know is handy with electronics, ordering capacitors and (de-)soldering, you could have the PSU re-capped for $5-10 in parts after which it should be good/better-than-new.
Score
July 7, 2012 3:56:12 PM

That's great to know, thank you! Unfortunately I already sent it back..but I think I do recall seeing some orange stuff when I looked inside. I'm glad the PSU was the only issue. PC's been working great since...cheers everyone :) !
Score
July 15, 2012 2:43:51 PM

Best answer selected by oyone.
Score
July 15, 2012 2:48:30 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!