Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

What computer case size do I need?

Last response: in Systems
Share
March 21, 2012 10:02:37 PM

I am going to be building my first desktop, seeing how I am switching from console gaming to PC. I don't know a lot about computers and parts, put what size case should I get. These are the parts I picked:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?It...
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...
Sorry for not linking them properly.

More about : computer case size

March 21, 2012 10:15:17 PM

Bad PSU for this quality of a build. Get an ATX case, they're more upgradable. Regarding the PSU get Corsair, Antec, SeaSonic, an OCZ ModXtreme, or one of the best thermaltakes. `
m
0
l
March 21, 2012 10:20:09 PM

i would have to say that a thermaltake v6 case would be the best case for the job its got great ventilation so air can get through easily and its a preety good size as well. i suggest that you buy it from msy.com.au its alot cheaper
m
0
l
Related resources
March 21, 2012 10:28:42 PM

It's not alot cheaper... It's in australia.... With shipping it will cost a lot more. Get it on newegg, and i wouldn't suggest that case. What's your budget? The Rosewill CHALLENGER is 60$ and is a steal for its quality... if you have lots of money I'd get the Corsair Obsidian 650D for like 190$ ... if you want middle of the road grab something like theHAF 932 for 140$ or the Thermaltake V9 BlacX Flex Edition for 105$.

That's without rebates... so subtract 10-20$ on most of those.
m
0
l
March 21, 2012 10:36:14 PM

pjl21 said:
Bad PSU for this quality of a build. Get an ATX case, they're more upgradable. Regarding the PSU get Corsair, Antec, SeaSonic, an OCZ ModXtreme, or one of the best thermaltakes. `


Not only that - H61 will *NOT* be able to handle a 7950 - that seems really out of place for this build, H61 does not support dedicated 2.0 or 3.0 x 16 lanes so you'll need a motherboard that will.

Quote:
It's not alot cheaper... It's in australia.... With shipping it will cost a lot more. Get it on newegg, and i wouldn't suggest that case. What's your budget? The Rosewill CHALLENGER is 60$ and is a steal for its quality... if you have lots of money I'd get the Corsair Obsidian 650D for like 190$ ... if you want middle of the road grab something like theHAF 932 for 140$ or the Thermaltake V9 BlacX Flex Edition for 105$.


Yeah but the OP is in Canada - I'm not sure they'd be able to import from Australia without paying some hefty duty / import tax fees.

If I knew the max budget I could suggest better parts but based on the build here's what I would go with:

Case: Fractal Design Arc MIDI - $109.99
PSU: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - $119.99
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3H - $159.99
CPU: 3.30GHz Intel Core i5-2500K - $219.99
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo - $34.99
RAM: 8GB Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 1333MHz - $42.99
SSD: Crucial M4 64GB - $94.99
HD: Seagate Barracuda ST 1TB - $109.99
Optical: Lite On Bulk DVD Burner - $19.99
Video Card: Power Color Radeon HD 7870 - $359.99

Total: $1,284.90
m
0
l
March 21, 2012 10:53:08 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Not only that - H61 will *NOT* be able to handle a 7950 - that seems really out of place for this build, H61 does not support dedicated 2.0 or 3.0 x 16 lanes so you'll need a motherboard that will.

Quote:
It's not alot cheaper... It's in australia.... With shipping it will cost a lot more. Get it on newegg, and i wouldn't suggest that case. What's your budget? The Rosewill CHALLENGER is 60$ and is a steal for its quality... if you have lots of money I'd get the Corsair Obsidian 650D for like 190$ ... if you want middle of the road grab something like theHAF 932 for 140$ or the Thermaltake V9 BlacX Flex Edition for 105$.


Yeah but the OP is in Canada - I'm not sure they'd be able to import from Australia without paying some hefty duty / import tax fees.

If I knew the max budget I could suggest better parts but based on the build here's what I would go with:

Case: Fractal Design Arc MIDI - $109.99
PSU: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - $119.99
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3H - $159.99
CPU: 3.30GHz Intel Core i5-2500K - $219.99
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo - $34.99
RAM: 8GB Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 1333MHz - $42.99
SSD: Crucial M4 64GB - $94.99
HD: Seagate Barracuda ST 1TB - $109.99
Optical: Lite On Bulk DVD Burner - $19.99
Video Card: Power Color Radeon HD 7870 - $359.99

Total: $1,284.90


This^

+2
m
0
l
March 22, 2012 5:33:32 PM

pjl21 said:
This^

+2

I have $2600, but only want to spend, at the max, $1700.
m
0
l
March 22, 2012 6:00:02 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Not only that - H61 will *NOT* be able to handle a 7950 - that seems really out of place for this build, H61 does not support dedicated 2.0 or 3.0 x 16 lanes so you'll need a motherboard that will.

Quote:
It's not alot cheaper... It's in australia.... With shipping it will cost a lot more. Get it on newegg, and i wouldn't suggest that case. What's your budget? The Rosewill CHALLENGER is 60$ and is a steal for its quality... if you have lots of money I'd get the Corsair Obsidian 650D for like 190$ ... if you want middle of the road grab something like theHAF 932 for 140$ or the Thermaltake V9 BlacX Flex Edition for 105$.


Yeah but the OP is in Canada - I'm not sure they'd be able to import from Australia without paying some hefty duty / import tax fees.

If I knew the max budget I could suggest better parts but based on the build here's what I would go with:

Case: Fractal Design Arc MIDI - $109.99
PSU: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - $119.99
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3H - $159.99
CPU: 3.30GHz Intel Core i5-2500K - $219.99
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo - $34.99
RAM: 8GB Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 1333MHz - $42.99
SSD: Crucial M4 64GB - $94.99
HD: Seagate Barracuda ST 1TB - $109.99
Optical: Lite On Bulk DVD Burner - $19.99
Video Card: Power Color Radeon HD 7870 - $359.99

Total: $1,284.90


Ok, so I can go with a mid tower size instead of a full.
m
0
l

Best solution

March 22, 2012 6:04:16 PM

THIS_RANDOM_GUY said:
Ok, so I can go with a mid tower size instead of a full.


Yes - but do not get an H61, it is not a good choice. Your expansion options will be incredibly limited. And my build actually comes in at like $500 under your $1700 budget so you can get everything on that list and have money left over for a good monitor or two.
Share
March 22, 2012 6:32:10 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Yes - but do not get an H61, it is not a good choice. Your expansion options will be incredibly limited. And my build actually comes in at like $500 under your $1700 budget so you can get everything on that list and have money left over for a good monitor or two.

I will go with your build, just wondering if I could go mid or full but you answered that. Thanks.
m
0
l
March 22, 2012 6:32:31 PM

Best answer selected by THIS_RANDOM_GUY.
m
0
l
!