Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
Hello,

Before I start off, here are my specs:
Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit
AMD/ATI HD 4870 x2
Intel Q6600
Asus Rampage Formula

I have an issue with my computer and need some dire help! It all started a few days ago when a driver error popped up stating "amdkmdap has received an error, but has recovered". I searched up this error and forums were saying it was either the mobo being overheated or the drivers were causing this. So, I checked BIOS for the temps on my cpu and it was pretty good (around 20 - 30 degrees? not sure if this is normal or not, but it seems pretty cool). I decided to re-install the catalyst control drivers by uninstalling to rebooting to re-installing the newest drivers (catalyst software suite 11.12). Then, it started to get worse with artifacts showing up and I would be getting an occasional black screen for a few seconds reverting back to the desktop screen. But today was even worse, it started with the occasional black screen and artifacts, but this time it would not return back to the desktop screen. Instead, the system became unresponsive. When I restarted my computer, nothing would show up on my monitor (already checked wiring - 100% good) and I can't even reach bios, nor will my system read the Windows Installation Disc. I'm sorry for this essay and I know your eyes must hurt now from reading this. Anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Oh and I'm pretty noob with computers!

Thanks!!

jryan388

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
To check CPU temp, run a stress test like Prime95 and then use speedfan to measure temps while its running. That will tell you the true max temp.

But you need the GPU temperature, as that is the most likely culprit. For that, run Furmark.

Do you have access to any other cards that you could use just to test? It sounds like an overheating graphics card for sure.

NoGoodnamesleft

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
Hey, thanks for the reply!

The thing is that I can't even go into Windows now, nor BIOS. Before my computer went crazy, I did use GPU-Z to check my temps. Being idle they were at around 40'c-50'c. I haven't OC'd yet and my fan power was at 55%. I didn't really put it to work, but even when my video card was idle, the artifacts would still pop up and the black screen would too. I would like to use the Prime95 to check my CPU temps, but I can't :( . Last time I checked my CPU temps using BIOS, it was at around 20ish'c? Again, this was with the system being fairly idle. I know for sure it wasn't higher than 30'c.

Anyways, I read this article:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/328743-33-radeon-4850-freezing-artifacts-weirdness

And would really like to try it , but I can't even get back to the restore point cause my computer won't read the Windows installation disc. Should I just clear my CMOS? Or is there another safer way?

Thanks!

bloc97

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
What happens when you boot? Do you hear your hard drive reading stuff? You can always try to remove your graphic card and use the intergrated one on your motherboard and see what component is faulty.

P.S. Did you connect the 4-Pin or 6-Pin connector for your graphic card?
Also, try to remove just one card and see if it works, do this 2 times to check both of your cards before re-putting them in crossfire.

NoGoodnamesleft

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
Thanks for the reply!

When I boot up my Windows, nothing appears on the monitor. There are no POST but my LCD Poster is working fine so the motherboard is okay. I do hear the hard drive reading, fans running, and everything sounds fine. I'm not sure if my mobo has an integrated video card. And for my ATI, it is currently not on crossfire as my graphics card is 2 in 1 (great deal!). I would try using another video card, but I do not have another :(.

bloc97

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
:bounce: Check the back of your Computer to see if there is an other Video Output (besides the graphic card), if there is one, remove your GPU and try to boot.

Btw what type of Connector are you using? VGA, DVI-A, DVI-I, HDMI, DisplayPort?
Sorry for the late response. :/