1800 Dollar Cyberpower. Worth it or Cheaper to build?

Jacktheoff

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
Short and sweet I'm wondering if this build is worth the $1800 price tag. I know it would be cheaper to build myself but by how much? Also is there is a way of achieving the same capabilities with less money.

Case: Thermaltake Commander Mid-Tower Gaming Case

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-2700K 3.50 GHz 8MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 (All Venom OC Certified)
Performance Tuning Protection Plan by Intel: Intel® Core™ i7-2700K Performance Tuning Protection Plan by Intel [+29]

Venom Boost Fast And Efficient Factory Overclocking: Extreme OC (Extreme Overclock 20% or more) [+49]

Cooling Fan: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling
Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA) (Dual Standard 120MM Fans (Push-Pull) [+9])
Coolant for Cyberpower Xtreme Hydro Water Cooling Kits: Standard Coolant

Motherboard [CrossFireX/SLI] Asus P8Z68 Deluxe Intel Z68 ATX Mainboardw/ BT GO! Lucid Virtu, IntelSRT & 7.1 HD Audio, Dual GbLAN, IEEE 1394a, USB3.0, SATA-III RAID, 3 Gen2 PCIe X16, 2 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI (All Venom OCCertified) [+178]

Intel Smart Response Technology for Z68: * 60 GB OCZ Agility 3 SATA III 6.0Gb/s SSD - 525MB/s Read & 475MB/s Write [+106] (Single Drive)

Memory: 8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Vengeance)
Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 6950 2GB 16X PCIe Video Card [+184] (HIS IceQ X Turbo 840MHz Powered by AMD)

Video Card 2: AMD Radeon HD 6950 2GB 16X PCIe Video Card [+313] (HIS IceQ X Turbo 840MHz Powered by AMD)
Power Supply Upgrade: 800 Watts - Standard Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready [+27]

Hard Drive: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [-45] (Single Drive)

Sound: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

Speakers: 600Watts PMPO Subwoofer Stereo Speakers [+15]

Network: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network

Extra Thermal Display: Aerocool V12XT Dual Bay Touch Screen Fan Control [+49]

Wireless 802.11B/G Network Card: PCI Wireless 802.11n 150Mbps Network Interface Card [+19]

Flash Media Reader/Writer: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)

Internal USB Port: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports

Ultra Care Option: CoolerMaster Thermal Fusion 400 Extreme Performance CPU - Thermal Compound Optimized for Thermal Dissipation [+10]

Professional Wiring for All WIRING Inside The System Chassis - Minimize Cable Exposure, Maximize Airflow in Your System [+19]

Solution
Building it yourself is much better. But if that is not an option for you, do several things to that build (I'm assuming youre using it for gaming, no graphics rendering or any of that):

-Change RAM config to 4gb x 2 (for future expansion)

-Downgrade from i7 to i5-2550K. (not much gain there for the price diff)

-Change PSU (power supply) to corsair or coolermaster 850w minimum, 1000w if you really want to SLI/Xfire (the xtremegear PSU is garbage).

-Remove the OC. its something that you can easily do yourself (youtube videos and google will show you how) and literally takes minutes.

-Remove Professional Wiring. With the new types of wiring and the way the cases are configured, it basically comes bundled and clean as is.

-I...

mojorisin23

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
Building it yourself is much better. But if that is not an option for you, do several things to that build (I'm assuming youre using it for gaming, no graphics rendering or any of that):

-Change RAM config to 4gb x 2 (for future expansion)

-Downgrade from i7 to i5-2550K. (not much gain there for the price diff)

-Change PSU (power supply) to corsair or coolermaster 850w minimum, 1000w if you really want to SLI/Xfire (the xtremegear PSU is garbage).

-Remove the OC. its something that you can easily do yourself (youtube videos and google will show you how) and literally takes minutes.

-Remove Professional Wiring. With the new types of wiring and the way the cases are configured, it basically comes bundled and clean as is.

-I would personally remove the stereo system and buy from amazon or newegg for cheaper and probably better quality.

-I would add the shipping foam to protect the inside. it should come standard, but it doesnt. if something goes wrong, its basically insurance against the headache of sending it back and having it fixed.

-Water cooling is not my thing. i just prefer a big fan. i have the Thermaltake FRIO and it keeps my comp at 28C idle, 68C under load (no OC). its zero maintanence and i know how it works.... keep it simple!

-For the mobo, the asus is gen2... so its old school. i have the ASRock extreme4 gen3and its great. i would highly recommend going to it if you are definate in your need to SLI/Xfire. gigabyte is good too but make sure it has two 16x slots otherwise the second card will on the aggregate be slower.

-Lastly, the video cards. i prefer one good card to two cards. i also prefer nvidia (if you switch up, go with the GTX 580) so i'm not an expert on AMDs options. but i know that i would go with one 7970 for sure.

Solution

donlev

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
mojorisin23 is right. Even if you make the changes he suggested, it will cost you more than it should. You should be looking for a gen3 mobo with the 3.0 pci.e slots and he is also right about getting 1 good gpu as apposed to two. This will not only serve you well for now , but allow you to be able to add another down the road if games ever get to needing more.

I know a guy who had a shop in town where I live and just closed it. He is trying to sell this on ebay for a real big loss. He has to liquidate so it must sell. It will be a great deal in the end. You would be able to add any thing you want to it, like a better gpu or two. more ram even ivy bridge processor down the road. You could add a ssd or bigger hdd and already have a reg. key to reload win7 with.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220983401922?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

The auction is tower only but you can get your own monitor and other peripherals. I have seen this computer and it rocks.

mojorisin23

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
Jack, go on newegg or amazon, select the same items (preferabbly with my edits but its your life) and see what the total comes to. Just dont forget little things that you might not see on cyberpower separated out, like Win 7.

you also never said what it was for. we are assuming gaming. at which case the i7 is overkill and you can shave off $100 on cyberpower alone right there.

jjanoch

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
As has been suggested....change the memory to 4MBx2.

Also forget your video card choice...I made the same choice myself and they couldn't source those cards anymore. Look at the 7000's series.

Also increase your SSD up to a min of 120gb...60 will run out quickly just covering Windows 7...let alone anything else.

You could shave hundreds off with a bit of shopping and building yourself....but do you want to do that? There is going to be a price to let someone else do the work...and if you're in the $1800 range I think you want to let someone else build it for you.