Sign in with
Your question

Cpu bottlenecking my gpu?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 16, 2012 3:50:50 AM

Hey guys well I started playing the new star wars mmo Star Wars The Old Republic and i notice i have very low fps about avg of 7fps in a big city with lots of ppl and i notice it stays same on high and low graphic settings. also it lags other times like in pvp. I used to play wow and didnt lag and i would have high settings and much better fps.

my rig is
nvidia gts 450 (http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?pn=01G-P3-145...) link to card
AMD 64 x2 dual core 6000+ 3.0GHz
4GB Ram ddr2 667mhz
Windows 7 64bit

More about : cpu bottlenecking gpu

January 16, 2012 4:05:54 AM

Mmo's use a fair amount of cpu power. You could do for an upgrade for sure. If you have the funds jump on one of the outgoing phenom II quads before they are sold out. With the latest bios you could fit one of those or even an fx I think, though I recommend the phenoms as they are known to perform better in gaming then the new bulldozer chips. The rest of your specs seem fine to play, I'll bet you see a nice difference with a better cpu.
m
l
January 16, 2012 4:30:11 AM

I see in your specs you have 4G ram but ddr2? is that a typo? if not i would prop say an upgrade to ddr3. Im no pro by any means, and i havnt seen or played star wars mmo yet. I used to play age of conan and it was pretty ram hungry, so im just guessing here may be a ram issue, and kinda sounds like ur having a latency issue too. But like i said before im no pro so dont go hating if u disagree on my coment
m
l
Related resources
January 17, 2012 12:58:46 AM

my ram usage is never higher than 75-80% used but cpu is at 100% alot of the time during star wars
m
l
a c 109 U Graphics card
January 17, 2012 1:10:31 AM

Because mmorpg uses a ton of cpu usage. Your cpu is too slow to play those games
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2012 5:08:08 AM

:)  it's time for a System Upgrade :) 
m
l
January 18, 2012 10:05:03 PM

Phenom Quad core will set you right, one of the Black Editions and overclock it and you will be laughing for very little cash
m
l
January 18, 2012 11:25:52 PM

hyper 212 evo push pull if it fits that socket for cooling on the quad unless you already have good cooling on your dual then just use that on the quad
m
l
!