Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Crossposting and duplicate posts - report?

Last response: in Forum Feedback
November 15, 2011 11:57:48 AM

Quite often, I run into cases where I see the same thread in multiple categories, though occasionally with very slight changes. I also see the exact same message in the same section. Do I report these? Unlike flame wars, spam, asking for CD keys, and other such things, this is otherwise a very minor thing. Some communities are against crossposting within the same community. Just checking.

Best solution

November 15, 2011 12:55:36 PM

It's a difficult call to make. If the poster has 2 posts on the books and they're identical, it's an easy mistake to have made and starting someone's posting career off with the Mods looking over their shoulder is a bit harsh.

Also, sometimes, posters will find a more appropriate sub-Forum after posting - a lot start off here and are moved to more fitting places by the Mods. I only click the Report button when there's a clear case of unavoidable bad posting, Spam, flaming, downright bad manners, etc. Even bad advice deserves correction rather than disciplinary action in my opinion.

November 15, 2011 1:12:53 PM

If you report 'em, mods will make the call.
Score
Related resources
November 15, 2011 1:20:28 PM

We will take care of that,just like Joe said.We delete duplicate threads by the dozens!
Score
November 16, 2011 3:18:05 AM

Considering that some think you need to double click a link or button (like you do with almost anything in Windows as it is), this could explain a lot of the duplicates. Crossposting is a different subject. I guess this is something generally not worth reporting on as it's too minor. Obviously, cases like spam, flaming, etc. should still get reported, crossposting or not.
Score
November 18, 2011 8:59:00 AM

ulillillia said:
Considering that some think you need to double click a link or button (like you do with almost anything in Windows as it is), this could explain a lot of the duplicates. Crossposting is a different subject. I guess this is something generally not worth reporting on as it's too minor. Obviously, cases like spam, flaming, etc. should still get reported, crossposting or not.

Also report on personal information -- emails, address, phone numbers, user names and passwords...

Especially the Pogo users .
Score
November 21, 2011 2:09:14 PM

I've seen a few posts where E-mail addresses are given and one with a phone number. I haven't seen any with addresses, user names, or passwords given yet (unless you consider CD key passwords). Perhaps a sticky should be present detailing how and when "report" should be used?
Score
November 21, 2011 2:09:41 PM

Best answer selected by ulillillia.
Score
November 21, 2011 10:05:47 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!