Running CAS 2.5 DDR at CAS 2

G

I've seen a couple people post that the Crucial 2.5 CAS memory will run fine at CAS 2. I've bought 128Mb of CAS 2.5 DDR memory from Crucial.

My question is, how exactly do I run the CAS 2.5 memory at CAS 2? I'll be using an Asus A7M266 motherboard.

Falwynn

mpjesse

Splendid
There's an option (sometimes) in the BIOS to set the CAS rating. I have the same exact memory you have on a T-bird 1Ghz (133mhz FSB) and it runs just fine at CAS2.

-MP Jesse

"Signatures Still Suck"

Sihs

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi. As many people advised, Crucial are selling their cas 2.5 pc2100 cheap (80$ on a link put by one guy). I went there today and I found many models. Can you please explain What the difference is between these (sorted according to price):
DDR PC2100 • CL=2.5 • Unbuffered • Non-parity
DDR PC2100 • CL=2.5 • Unbuffered • ECC
DDR PC2100 • CL=2.5 • Registered • ECC
And also, some people at pricewatch have cas 2 at about double the price of cas 2.5. If cas 2.5 runs at 2 why don't they call it cas 2?
Thanks.

Sh!t Happens.

mpjesse

Splendid
CAS2 will overclock a lot better than CAS2.5

As far as the 3 different types of PC2100 on their site, the first one (DDR PC2100 • CL=2.5 • Unbuffered • Non-parity) is the one that MOST people use. The rest are for servers and very high end systems.

-MP Jesse

"Signatures Still Suck"

paulcalmond

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2001
To change memory timings on Asus A7M266 use the following :
In BIOS setup select "Advanced" then "CHIP Configuration"
then change SDRAM Configuration from "By SPD" ( which uses an
EEPROM on the DIMM to get the recommended settings for the next three parameters ) to "User Define"

When set to User Define, you may then amend the following three parameters:

CAS Latency : change from 2.5T to 2T
RAS Precharge time: change from 3T to 2T
RAS to CAS Delay: change from 3T to 2T

If you have any stability problems then reset
SDRAM Configuration to "By SPD"
This will cause your memory timings to be returned to those recommended by the DIMM manufacturer as stored in EEPROM on the DIMM.

G

The Crucial's FAQ explains everything. You can find it at the very site you quote from.

Leo

Sihs

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks. mbjesse already explained them to me.
So why are these sticks 110$ now? I first saw them 80$ on one of the links someone posted. Are they the same?

Sh!t Happens.

G

The prices do fluctuate, depending on supply and demand. I bought 256 MB sticks of Crucial PC2100 at $103.50 a while ago. Now they're at something like $112 or so. That's normal.

Leo