Sign in with
Your question

Should I unplug my computer at night to keep my psu like new?

Last response: in Components
a b ) Power supply
July 5, 2012 11:13:52 PM

I just spent a pretty good amount of money on a PSU and want it to last a long time, usually I unplug my computer at night so no one trips on the cord. Someone told me it's also good for the PSU to do this because it lets the caps power down, and someone told me it was bad to let the caps constantly lose and regain their charge. What do you guys think?
a c 76 ) Power supply
July 5, 2012 11:20:40 PM

If any of that is true, then I'm screwed. :lol: 

I run my PC's 24/7 365. I always HAVE done that though through a little over a decade of building my own systems and I haven't ever had an issue. The only times my PSU's have given me problems is when they were VERY low quality and blew under stress.

Main point: Don't worry about it.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 6, 2012 12:29:51 AM

Hi :) 

I run all mine 24/7 running SETI...

Electrically, it will last LONGER if running constantly, because there is no going cold and then heating up etc....

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
July 6, 2012 1:34:12 AM

Mkay, getting two different answers from two people that both work on computers for a living made me think it was probably insignificant, my PSU is warranted for 5 years either way.
m
l
July 6, 2012 4:36:43 AM

24/7 here, I power down maybe once every two months. I've been running 24/7 for years also, never had any PSU issues.
m
l
a c 130 ) Power supply
July 6, 2012 4:52:42 AM

My personal feeling here (which is based on stuff told to me by my guru 20+ yrs ago plus some that I've gleened since) is current desktop PSU's are designed for 24hr use. I do not believe that it is good practice to power down the caps on a PSU. By design actually, when the average PC is shut down, the PSU still recieves power (very few people are like yourself, unplugging the PSU) as does the motherboard.
Personally, like most of the above, I also run 24/7.
m
l
!