Closed Solved

My PC and gaming

Dear tom's hardware community,

I have a dilemma concerning my pc . About 2 years ago i got a desktop computer (click for specs)for my birthday. As you can see, it is a pretty weak rig. It has an Hd5450 512mb video card which can only run certain games and an AMD Phenom II X4 810 2.6GHz Processor. I am tired of not being able to play the latest first person shooters( i only have a wii), so i decided to upgrade my PC. I plan on getting a gtx 560 graphics card and obviously a PSU with over 500 watts. My questions are. Is it possible for that GTX 560 to fit in my computer? If it will fit, will i bottle neck my PC with my weak CPU? Will i be able to run Battlefield 3 on medium settings 50+ fps on a resolution of 1600 x 900?

Thank you for your time and please feel free to suggest. I cannot built a new pc because i am currently in last year high school and im still looking for a job. I might get one at Micky D's :).

Sorry if this is on the wrong forum. I am new here and this topic has a little bit of every category in it.
17 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about gaming
  1. AMD 6870 : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161389

and

CX500 : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027

is what you should get. Will easily handle BF3 on high without AA at 1600x900.

See you on the battlefield ;)

Edit : the 560 ti is a better card but since you're gaming in 1600x900 and probably can't overclock your CPU I think the 6870 would be a better bang for your buck.
  2. Thank you, im just afraid my CPU at 2.6ghz will cause a problem. I was just watching a benchmark of battlefield with this card(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQU2sfDcHiM) and he is running at 100fps+ however he has a 6 core processsor overclocked at 3.6ghz...
  3. BF3 is a well optimized game and mostly relies on your GPU, your CPU will have no trouble handling it.
  4. Thank you again. Ill probably get what you have recommended :)
  5. I really think 6870 is the best "bang for your buck" card right now, especially for resolutions lower than 1080p. Performance is pretty close to 560ti and 6950 but costs way less. You probably wouldn't notice the difference at your resolution anyways. I would also go with this one instead, 5$ bucks more but I trust Sapphire more than HIS. Glad I could help ;)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102948
  6. I agree with the above, a 6870 is going to offer a massive boost to gaming for you. The CPU won't be a big issue, as far as BF3 goes you might not be able to play 64 player maps (fairly CPU demanding) but I'm sure 32 or even 48 or whatever will be mostly ok.
  7. Or, a GTX 560 for $164.99 after MIR
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814134137

6870 $149.99
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131378

They perform pretty close to eachother so either way is good.
  8. I have a question, my mother board is PCI Express 2.0 x16. The sapphire graphics card is 2.1 x 16. I just contacted a gateway technician on chat and he said it will not work.

Also, what if i overclock my cpu to 3.00 ghz +, can i then run the 64 player maps
  9. Wow seriously? You should report that guy for being a stupid dipshit. PCIe is always backwards compatible. You could plug a 3.0 card (7970) into a 1.0 slot if you wanted to and it would work (just not very well).

If you can overclock then you would get more performance out of that CPU, but I doubt that will be possible. Also, I wasn't saying you can't play 64 player maps, but if you do you may notice periods of lag when there's a lot of troops and vehicles all on screen.
  10. It actually depends on how much you want to spend. What is your entire budget?
  11. amuffin said:
    It actually depends on how much you want to spend. What is your entire budget?

I dont want to spend more then 250 on a graphics card and i need a power supply.

@Wolfram23 Lol, thanks for clearing that up.

Anyways, previously diecast recommended a PSU that is 500 watts. I am afraid that might not be enough because i used the newegg calculator and it recommends a PSU with 490. So if i get a 500 watt psu then its really close. Also, when buying a PSU, is there stuff to look out for such as compatibly with certain mother boards?

Also, when i was looking at certain drivers on the gateway site for the dx4300 desktop, it only had the BIOS for the ATI 5 series for download. I am worried that a 6 series might somehow be uncompatible.

I am very sorry for all these questions.. This is my first time swapping parts.
  12. The newegg calculator already has safety factors and all that built in, so if it says 490 you really only need 400 lol.

The only reason you'd want more, like a 650W, is if you think you might go with crossfire in the future. Better to just buy the PSU now, in that case.

And besides quality, the one thing you'll want to notice is if it has PCIe 6 and/or 8 pin connectors. Good PSUs will have at least 4 of them. But besides that they should all be able to plug in and work.
  13. Wolfram, when i was looking at certain drivers on the gateway site for the dx4300 desktop, it only had the BIOS for the ATI 5 series for download. I am worried that a 6 series might somehow be uncompatible. Your thoughts?
  14. Well i know you would probably loose Some performance gain but..... A GTS 450 (The GTX 5 5 0 ti i don't reccomend) but i can play Bad company 2 on medium at 1600X900 no problem and with BF3 that didn't change none. the processor was a AMD Phenom II X4 840 at 2.8 GHZ (No not my current rig but my old PC)
  15. Best answer
    Normally, a Phenom II can easily be overclocked but your Gateway computer probably has a locked bios or something so I wouldn't even try any kind of overclocking on it. I still stand behind my recommendation and would personally stay away from that Powercolor card since the ratings are horrible. Also, be sure to check the price on the the right Newegg website (.com / .ca). A good brand/quality 500W PSU (that Corsair I recommended falls into that category) will handle your Phenom and a 6870 easily. If you ever plan to upgrade to a more powerful GPU you'll be bottlenecked by your CPU and it probably wouldn't be worth it. For now, your Phenom II and a 6870 will give you great performance in mostly any game.
  16. diec4st said:
    I still stand behind my recommendation and would personally stay away from that Powercolor card since the ratings are horrible. Also, be sure to check the price on the the right Newegg website (.com / .ca). Also, a good brand/quality 500W PSU (that Corsair I recommended falls into that category) will handle your Phenom and a 6870 easily. If you ever plan to upgrade to a more powerful GPU you'll be bottlenecked like crazy so better start from scratch that time. For now, your Phenom II and a 6870 will give you great performance in mostly any game.

Once again thanks guys! Ill get what you reccomended :) Radeon HD 6870 1GB and the corsair PSU. Thanks a lot once again.
  17. Best answer selected by randomfellow.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics Product