ASRock Extreme4 vs Gigabyte UD3H

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • ASrock
  • Gigabyte
Last response: in CPUs
July 6, 2012 12:45:14 AM

Hi all,

I am buying a motherboard for my i5-3570K Ivy Bridge CPU. I am debating between http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml... (Gigabyte) and http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml... (ASRock), which cost $100 and $90 respectively when purchased with a processor at MicroCenter. Which is better to get and why? Should I spend $10 more to get the Gigabyte Z77 or save it and get the ASRock?

Thanks.

More about : asrock extreme4 gigabyte ud3h

July 6, 2012 2:11:05 AM

Hi. The Asrock is a good board but it's not full atx, and it can be a little harder to install RAM sticks depending on the cpu cooler you intend to use.

Best regards.
m
l
a c 154 à CPUs
July 6, 2012 6:41:38 AM

Look at the specs the Asrock is full standard ATX. It has two PCI-e slots, two PCI and two PCI mini's. If it was micro ATX it wouldn't have that many slots.
m
l
Related resources
a c 186 à CPUs
July 6, 2012 6:45:27 AM

I would pick Gigabyte for this one.

Reasons?

The Extreme 4 on the Z77 generation is the Extreme 3 of the Z68 generation. Essentially a average board, not the all star the Z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3 was.

But, I do own the Z68X-UD3H-B3 and the Asrock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3, all I can say is I like ASRock's Bios better :) 
m
l
a c 154 à CPUs
July 6, 2012 6:50:44 AM

I agree. Both make good hardware but to me Asrock goes into the same group as Biostar and Foxconn, second tier motherboard manufactures. As you said the Asrock is average but not something that will blow you away.
m
l
a c 186 à CPUs
July 6, 2012 7:01:39 AM

I actually had the same descisions here when I purchased my i7-2600K combo at Microcenter.

It was between an Asus P8Z68-V/Gen 3 or the ASRock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3. I picked the ASRock board because it offered everything the P8Z68-V PRO/Gen 3 offered for a much cheaper price.
m
l
a c 154 à CPUs
July 6, 2012 7:06:30 AM

I was looking at the same thing but went with Gigabyte because I didn't like the idea that they were second tier to Gigabyte, MSI and Asus.
m
l

Best solution

a c 186 à CPUs
July 6, 2012 7:09:55 AM

rds1220 said:
I was looking at the same thing but went with Gigabyte because I didn't like the idea that they were second tier to Gigabyte, MSI and Asus.

How the rankings go:
1. Asus
2. Gigabyte
3. ASRock

Quote:
ASRock was originally spun off from Asus in 2002 in order to compete with companies like Foxconn for the commodity OEM market. Since then, ASRock has also gained momentum in the DIY sector and plans for moving the company upstream began in 2007 following a successful IPO on the Taiwan Stock Exchange.[1]

ASRock has garnered a reputation for good value (cost/performance) from tech websites,[2] including awards and recommendations for an array of products.[3][4]

ASRock sold eight million motherboards in 2011, compared with ECS and MSI who sold seven million apiece.The figures, which are quoted over on DigiTimes, put ASRock in third place behind Asustek and Gigabyte. This is a significant improvement over the company's showing in 2009, with 2010's figures pushing ASRock ahead of both MSI and ECS. This has recently placed ASRock as a top tier motherboard manufacture.

ASRock is currently owned by Pegatron Corporation.
a b à CPUs
July 6, 2012 8:08:27 AM

I would pick a Asrock over any company for mobo except Asus but to each his or her own i always like to say.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 6, 2012 8:24:33 AM

Well change of plans get the Gigabyte i just remembered there are certain Asrock boards made flawed and that is one of them The only negative I have for this motherboard is that it slips outside of typical ATX specifications. It’s 3cm thinner than a standard ATX motherboard and as a result may lack secure mounting on the far side since this isn’t a common size, which also means you should be very careful when plugging in the 24-pin ATX motherboard power – as the motherboard may flex. here my legit source read last page http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/asrock_z77_extreme... P.S.On a side note IMO it's still a very solid mobo but because of that flaw i wouldn't buy it but i have quite a few friends that have that mobo and none regret buying it but they confirmed to me they had that problem when installing the board i would label the mobo as a buyer beware but still all around best bang for buck mobo.
m
l
July 13, 2012 12:00:30 AM

Hi everyone, thanks for all the input! I bought the Gigabyte a few days ago and am now running on it. Wish I could have afforded the ASUS though :p 
m
l
a c 154 à CPUs
July 13, 2012 12:02:03 AM

Both Asus and Gigibyte make very good motherboards and I don't think you'll have a problem with either.
m
l
July 13, 2012 12:12:01 AM

Best answer selected by FlameMLK.
m
l
!