Sign in with
Your question

What type of power supply do i need for my first build

Last response: in Components
July 6, 2012 12:55:37 AM

here is the part list

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bszU

also does everything seem to be in balance i won't bottle neck anywhere?
a c 111 ) Power supply
July 6, 2012 2:26:06 AM

No^^

We've got a LOT to work on.

Why not an i5?

Why such a low end case?

A quality 600W will be able to run 2 6850's in crossfire easily.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 6, 2012 3:12:19 AM

Agree with amuffin, not a good setup.

Go intel, the AMD is a dead end. Adjust the MB to match.

Why no name memory? Get 8GB of reputable memory.

The case is really shoddy. Get something better.

Get a corsair tx-650 V2 power supply for your setup.
m
l
Related resources
a c 133 ) Power supply
July 6, 2012 4:12:45 AM

I wouldn't say the ram is not quality but I could find no independant, objective reviews on it so I sure won't recommend it.
The case I like for the price although admittedly, I have not worked in/with one.

The Corsair PSU recommended by Abekl is about the best value of options there, there are better PSU's listed, but you would pay quite a bit more for them.

And, if you want, stick with the 8 core processor - my soon to be built replacement for my Phenom II B55 will feature an FX8150 since I want the processing cores more than any other feature. If AMuffin or Abekl can find an Intel CPU that is affordable (~$200) with 8 cores, I'll go that route but I don't know of one.
If this is to be strictly a gaming unit though, the i5 would probably be a better choice.
m
l
July 6, 2012 4:57:57 AM

the cheap case because i don't need anything super fancy. i looked at reviews on it and it seems sufficient. do i honestly need anything more?

i see the concern with ram but I've seen 10 indy reviews all 5 out of 5

as far as the cpu goes i was looking at pass marks benchmarks now that i've dug deeper i can see that maybe not the AMD what sub $200 can i get that beats out the AMD?
m
l
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
July 6, 2012 5:08:45 AM

shallfrisch said:
the cheap case because i don't need anything super fancy. i looked at reviews on it and it seems sufficient. do i honestly need anything more?

no.
m
l
July 6, 2012 5:16:25 AM

okay im convinced on the intel im thinking i5-2500k that way if i decide to oc later i can

so now to pick out a new mother board
m
l
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
July 6, 2012 5:37:04 AM

psssst
ASRock Z75 Pro3 $84.99
same exact as a Z77 board except for to ISRT which caches a 60Gb SSD for you hard drive. no one uses it and that makes it $10 cheaper.
m
l
!