Sign in with
Your question

Lack of Bootup on a brand new system - Please help

Last response: in Systems
March 22, 2012 8:45:05 AM

Hey there,
After spending the better portion of my night reading and following the guidelines set out here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste... , I still find myself unable to figure out whats wrong with the brand new system I've built. When everything's put together I'm getting a black screen and no POST beeps at all, just silence - however, all of the chasis fans are operating as well as leds, the video card, the CPU heatsink etc.

I took the system apart and tested each piece. CPU and HSF + PSU only gave me 3 beeps, which I believe is a memory error, so I went ahead and put in the memory (dual channel). One stick of memory gave me 5 beeps, which as far as I can tell means a CPU error. Two sticks of memory gave me silence, and then when tested with a video card black screen. I tested in both of the compatible dual channels combinations that were listed for the mobo - no difference between the two. Tested the video card before the memory as well, but that gave me 3 beeps and a black screen. So I'm really at my wits end here. Is the memory I have not compatible with the CPU/mobo I have? Should I make sure I have more thermal paste in between the CPU and the HSF (there is already a decent amount on the processor)? I just want to get bios up, still have been unable to do so about 7 hours after finishing building the system for the first time and 2 after rebuilding it and making sure there's nothing shorting the board (I can very confidently say there's not).

Here are my specs:

Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3
CPU: AMD FX 4100, AM3+ socket, 3.6 ghz
RAM: PNY Optima 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandybridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom
Video Card: 9800GTX+

This is my first build, so I'm sure I've made a mistake somewhere but I've checked the CPU for damage and have found none and as far as I know everything is compatible.

Please help
Thanks
March 22, 2012 8:07:26 PM

If you are sure you have everything plugged in right, especially with the PSU plugged twice into the motherboard, then it kinda sounds like either

1) Bad RAM

2) Processor not compatible with motherboard... yet.

Both are entirely possible at this point. Maybe both at the same time.

Many times an AM3+ motherboard needs a BIOS update in order to be able to use a FX processor in it, and that sounds kinda like what your problem is most of all.

However, the RAM does sound like it is doing some unusual stuff as well, but that could be the processor's fault too. I can't really tell at this point. Only after the processor thing is resolved can that really be addressed.

You will need to source another AMD processor from somewhere in order to do a BIOS update. I wouldn't suggest that it be a FX processor if possible.
m
l
Related resources
!