Dell m1730 win7 turn off touchpad

HHowardH

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Hello,
I have a dell m1730 and the touchpad drives me nuts, all the advice on the net is about vista machines and mine is a win7 ultimate machine.
There are no drivers from dell for win7, and no little icons anywhere to turn it off and no buttons either.
Under the mouse icon in the control panel, it is for the wireless mouse only and the disable ps/2 is blanked out, so i have no control over it at all.
It is hard to even write a small email without it jumping to another place or deleting what i have typed.
Does anyone know how to stop this darn thing from working?

Solution
My sister's Inspiron 1525 was sent several times away for repair under the 3 year warranty period it had. It usually took a month to get it back, and despite the wrong part(s) having been properly exchanged, the same thing (the notorious left side screen hinge-break) came back.

It's really bad for their business as it is, without the bad publicity, since they had to "pay" for the repair. They could have changed that bad part for a better engineered one at the first time, but it seems that even their internal feedback system don't work.

Too bad, because they offer nice configurations at affordable prices...

You know the old joke about the good old building contractor: it has three things to offer and you can pick any two of those...

HHowardH

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
I was thinking of some Holy water or maybe silver bullets lol, if could afford to buy a new comp i would, i would NEVER buy Dell again and i tell everyone i know how Dell charge top price and then run with your money without turning back to say goodbye.

HHowardH

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012

Nothing that i can see or understand, but it can take up to 3 times or more the time to write an email because the darn thing is way too sensitive and right in the way.

Basically i have to keep my hands in the air to type

HHowardH

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012

I did download it, but it won't install because it doesn't recognize Win7

szaboaz

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
Even after you set the exe file's compatibility mode to Vista?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Make-older-programs-run-in-this-version-of-Windows

To change compatibility settings manually for a program, right-click the program icon, click Properties, and then click the Compatibility tab.
Compatibility mode
Runs the program using settings from a previous version of Windows. Try this setting if you know the program is designed for (or worked in) a specific previous version of Windows.

If it won't work that way, then rename the file's extension from .exe to .zip, and unzip it, then you'll have a folder with a setup.exe. Set that into Vista compatible mode.

It has to work, somehow.

HHowardH

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Hi, i just tried what you said and it did go further along, but in the end is says that it is designed for windows 2000/xp only and will not work with this os

HHowardH

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
boaz, you are an absolute genius, it worked beautifully
I just downloaded there drivers for win7 64bit and now i have full control

So if there is anyone out there with the same problem then do as boaz said and download the synaptics drivers for your Dell M1730 and problem solved

Thanks boaz

szaboaz

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
Hurray!

ps. "Boaz" makes sense, it's even in the Bible, isn't it?
But that's not where the name came from, LOL. The word "Szabó" means tailor in Hungarian, and it happens to be my surname. Btw, "sz" is pronounced as the English "s", because we use the letter "s" for the "sh" sound.
You're all set now. :D

HHowardH

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012

Then thankyou so much for your help Mr Szabo :) i posted the comment below on Yahoo answers which i had previously asked the same question and i will tell everyone who will listen to me because Dell have got arrogant and faithfull customers are being taken for a ride (in my personal opinion).

If they lose hundreds or thousands of sales then i am happy they have, you can't treat people as though they are nothing, especially when they charge so much.

Thanks again :)

this is what i posted and will keep posting

In my personal oppinion the big lesson in life, DO NOT EVER BUY DELL, because they are expensive and treat customers worse than most cheap computer companies do. When they get your money they run with it and dont even turn back to say goodbye.

I tell everyone i know this

Dell laptops are often pretty to look at and that is the con, because the beauty is only skin deep.

This advice is especially for those people that want a good computer but cant afford to replace it every year or so.

Don't take the risk with Dell.

szaboaz

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
My sister's Inspiron 1525 was sent several times away for repair under the 3 year warranty period it had. It usually took a month to get it back, and despite the wrong part(s) having been properly exchanged, the same thing (the notorious left side screen hinge-break) came back.

It's really bad for their business as it is, without the bad publicity, since they had to "pay" for the repair. They could have changed that bad part for a better engineered one at the first time, but it seems that even their internal feedback system don't work.

Too bad, because they offer nice configurations at affordable prices...

You know the old joke about the good old building contractor: it has three things to offer and you can pick any two of those: low price, quality, speed.
You can't have it all.

PS. Hint hint, you can select my answer about the Synaptic driver as "best answer", so that I get my points ( :D ), and the admins can close this thread.

Solution

szaboaz

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
:) No, not this one. The other one with the actual answer.

Or, Moderator, if you read this, can you reassign the best answer to the one with the "http://www.synaptics.com/resources/drivers " link, please?

HHowardH

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Oops hehe, i have never done this before, sorry

i am sure that people will read this anyway and also i have put the information out there to be googled

There is no option for me to 'best Answer' anything else, i was thinking it was like yahoo answers whn you pick the person as the best.

Sorry about that

I must say though that thanks to Mr Szabo i am typing now with both hands on the machine. :)