sir_awesome

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Ok, here's the deal.

A while ago I bought what was essentially an entire new build for my PC, and have built several before so I assumed this would be no different.

I put the new board in, as well as my new graphics card, CPU and RAM.

I did this all with an anti static band on (prior experience ;), and to my surprise it wouldn't boot after I put all the parts in.

I took them all out one at a time and tried different combos, so as to determine that it wasn't any of the components like the RAM or the graphics, and I even put them both into the old board (which is what I'm running now).

I then assumed that I might have just static'd the motherboard anyway and had it tested, but it was still working, at which point I went and got the CPU tested and it worked fine as well.

It's not an issue of power as neither my 650watt or my 1200watt would change the result of it.

When I try to boot with the board in question in, it will turn on with all the fans and lights, then after about 5-7 seconds (rough guesstimate) it turns off, and then turns back on and runs until it is unplugged (with no screen display).

I come to you to ask (before I just pay money to have it built for me) what could be causing the problem?

If you need to know any of the part names then I can let you know.

Thanks.

sir_awesome

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Had the board tested, not DOA.

Full specs are:

Asus P8Z68-M PRO Z68 (mobo)
intel i7 2600k (CPU)
SilverStone ST1200-G-EVO 1200W (PSU)
MSi GTX580 (Graphics)
8GB Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 (RAM)
Hitachi 500G SATA 7200RPM 16M (Primary HDD)
OCZ Octane 128G SATA3 SSD 512M cache (SSD)

I also have a generic IDE disk drive that I'll replace with a sata once I get this board working.

I've had a CMOS reset suggested to me but I'd like some other suggestions before I try this again, because it's a pain in the ass :kaola: