Force Refresh Rate (Frequency)

greghatt1980

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
Hello,
I am cuurently running an Acer Aspire x1800 with a Radeon hd5450 Sapphire 1gb graphics card(LP) and a Sanyo LCD 32E3 TV as my monitor. I am limited to a refresh rate of 60 htz. I am wondering if I can force my refresh rate any higher without damaging my display or graphics card. Any info would be nice. THX

bloc97

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
First, I wanted to say that it won't damage your screen or your graphic card. (Except in rare occasions, and most of the rare occasions is if you are using an Analogue (VGA, DVI-A) input.)

But it looks like that your monitor (or TV) does not support 120Hz, even if you force it to 120Hz and it doesn't crash your drivers, the monitor will still display at 60Hz and you may have serious tearing problems.

Does 60Hz give problems? It shouldn't flicker if it is an LCD TV...
Native 120Hz is only needed for 3D Stereoscopic TVs.

Even if you REALLY want to force it to 120Hz (Your Choice) Go to AMD Catalyst Control Center, with advanced view under - My VGA Displays > Properties (VGA Display) - and change the Monitor Attributes settings.

If you are using an Digital Input (DVI-I, HDMI, DisplayPort), then you cannot override the Refresh Rate settings by simply using AMD Catalyst Control Center. Use an other Override program (like RivaTuner)

Hope it helps! :)