Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Best AMD Processor for Gaming?

Last response: in CPUs
July 6, 2012 2:34:16 AM

So right now I have an AMD Athlon II x4 635 2.90 GHz cpu, with a GTX 460 with 4 GB RAM, and my games aren't running that well. And I want to be able to run Guild Wars 2 on high settings when it comes out.

My question is.... If I upgrade to an AMD Phenom II x4 975 BE, or 980 ect. will that make a difference?

If not, is it worth it to switch over to Intel? Because i don't really want to buy a new motherboard just for a new cpu...

And is AMD releasing any new cpu's in the near future? Ones that can compare to intel i5's and i7's?

Thanks.

More about : amd processor gaming

a b à CPUs
July 6, 2012 2:42:49 AM

Yes, yes, and no.
Score
July 6, 2012 2:44:23 AM

phyco126 said:
Yes, yes, and no.

Lol pretty straight forward answer.

So basically, it would make a big difference if I upgraded to the Phenom cpu's I mentioned, but it's also worth it to go buy a new mobo and intel cpu?
Score
Related resources
a b à CPUs
July 6, 2012 2:51:54 AM

Depends on what you consider worth it. Is it worth dumping a few hundred dollars for a decent boost? Or just upgrade the processor, enjoy it for a year or two, then dump a few hundred into something that will be even better yet?
Score
July 6, 2012 3:55:13 AM

hi steelsnake20 , if you are going for amd gaming you gave to choose amd fx 4170
it is the best amd cpu for gaming or phenom ii x6 1100t but intel processors is much better than amd processor specially in gaming , i advise you to choose i5 3570k it is the best for gaming in the market
Score
a b à CPUs
July 6, 2012 4:16:14 AM

Just get a Phenom II 980 and a 990FX chipset if you don't wanna spend the extra 40$ for intel.... If not... Just get intel... *puts hand on shoulder* just buy intel bud, don't make the mistake i made
Score
a b à CPUs
July 6, 2012 4:28:00 AM

If your board supports it, a Phenom II X4 965 BE is the best CPU they currently have for the least money (at least it's dirty cheap over here). You can OC it easily to 4.x Ghz.

Don't get a 975 or higher. A 955 and upwards are the same CPU, with a different base clock, basically. So get the cheapest one of those. If that happens to be a 980, so be it. But I doubt it. ;) 
Score
a b à CPUs
July 6, 2012 4:32:15 AM

Yea but heres the thing, if you don't know alot about overclocking and don't wanna mess with voltages and keep stock voltage. a 980 or 970 or maybe even a 965 can go to 4ghz without voltage change on a high end chipset. 890fx works two i think
Score
a b à CPUs
July 6, 2012 4:40:00 AM

3.6 should still be stable with stock voltage (coming from a 965's 3.4 base clock). Which means just playing with the multiplier a little. Besides there are a crap lot of videos/tutorials around showing you how to do it. :) 

Anyway, if you already have a 890fx chipset. I wouldn't buy a new mobo + RAM just to go intel. Over here a 965 BE is less than half the price of a 2500k. If you already own everything else for an AMD rig, it's a no brainer to actually go that way. Safe the money and get a better GPU next.
Score
July 6, 2012 4:55:57 AM

yes
no
maybe (but not all that soon).

Just get an FX 4170 and be done with it. One thing to swap. You can worry about upgrading coolers and overclocking it if you want, but it will certainly play GW2 very well.

Take advantage of the fact that you just need to swap one part to move to a better generation of CPUs. You can also throw 8GB of memory at it.

An i3 is marginal if any of an upgrade over FX and Phenoms, so the only thing worth buying is an i5 or better. So $300 vs $140? I'd rather put that extra money to a GPU.

Score
July 6, 2012 4:56:21 AM

The first guy said no to:

"And is AMD releasing any new cpu's in the near future? Ones that can compare to intel i5's and i7's?"

What about Piledriver? It could be awesome.
Score
a b à CPUs
July 6, 2012 4:57:48 AM

Well pile driver isn't really aware yet, we know its APU little brother has potential but no real hard evidence of pile driver
Score
July 6, 2012 5:03:06 AM

True.
Score
July 6, 2012 5:30:06 AM

no man , amd is not trusted company as in the past it says that the bulldozer will
outpaces i7 980x and i7 2600k but the real is that it doesnt outperform phenom ii x6 1090t which is 30% slower than i7 980x . amd peldiver will definitely be another fail from amd . trust me
Score
a c 78 à CPUs
July 6, 2012 5:55:20 AM

voiidwulf said:
The first guy said no to:

"And is AMD releasing any new cpu's in the near future? Ones that can compare to intel i5's and i7's?"

What about Piledriver? It could be awesome.

If PileDriver realizes a 15% improvement (which it may, based on Tom's benchmarks of Trinity-which uses PileDriver cores), that would put at least the 8350 close to being on par with Sandy Bridge 2500Ks. I know thats not really that comforting to AMD guys, but keep in mind 8320s will most likely be the same CPU, priced lower, which makes it a nice option for overclockers. We know that AMD is willing to drop prices to compete, Intel is not.

Intel with Ivy has shown a trend of raising prices. Potentially that could leave a nice gap for AMD to slide into. It may turn out that Intel is hurting itself by pushing the prices up and widening the gap if they keep it up with Haswell. I doubt Haswell is going to be more than a 10% improvement, but we can't really know until it happens. AMD will still be behind, but it is "2 man race" after all, one is going to be better, of course. Intel has a lot more money for Research and Development than Intel, I still say AMD isn't doing horrible considering they're outgunned. Of course to some people, they just want speed and nothing else matters.
Score
a b à CPUs
July 6, 2012 6:00:50 AM

Agreed.
Score
July 6, 2012 6:17:16 AM

when amd is trying to realese peldiver , intel will realese haswell which will definitely
destroy it easily
Score
July 6, 2012 6:22:44 AM

amd fx 8150 is 8 core just on paper when it is under stress its cores wont work 100% efficiency it will work 80% efficiency = 6.4 cores
but i7 = 4 cores + 0.8 hyperthreding =4.8 and it is much faster than all amd processors in single threded performance
Score
July 6, 2012 6:23:41 AM

amd is the best in apus , gpus but not in cpus field , try intel
Score
a b à CPUs
July 6, 2012 6:31:43 AM

Yea I spent almost two year dealing with amd fanboys telling me to get amd, when I should have gotten Intel.
Score
a b à CPUs
July 6, 2012 6:52:43 AM

You'll see a bigger difference in gaming by upgrading your 460 than swapping your processor if your resolution is 1680x1050 or higher.

Also, You can get at least a 500mhz FSB overclock on the 635.
Score
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
July 6, 2012 7:02:13 AM

First.AMD CPU's are pretty much made for overclocking.As i see you here you havent even overclocked your Athlon!If you arent going to overclock i suggest you buy a cheap H61 Mobo and a Core i5 2310.The total cost should be around 230-270$.Or just buy a FX 4100.It will be almost as fast as the i5 while costing less.
Im an owner of an Athlon II X4 620 and i can tell you if you the only game i see a noticable FPS increase when i overclock is Skyrim(although it is around 25% boost).
The thing i suggest you do is.

1.Buy a good cheap Air Cooler.Like this one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
And start overclocking!You should easily hit 3.7GHz without increasing the voltage or disabling Cool & Quiet.At that speed your CPU will be as fast or faster than a Phenom 965!

With the saved money buy another GTX 460.Just make sure the one you buy has as much VRAM as your current one.
Score
a c 185 à CPUs
a b À AMD
July 6, 2012 7:04:13 AM

Again, Intel is keeping AMD around. They can easily eliminate them by lowering their prices, but THEY DON'T HAVE to in order to beat them out!
Score
a c 185 à CPUs
a b À AMD
July 6, 2012 7:05:06 AM

Kamen_BG said:

With the saved money buy another GTX 460.Just make sure the one you buy has as much VRAM as your current one.

But first, check to see if your card is a 192Bit or 256 Bit card.
Score
July 6, 2012 7:07:32 AM

steelsnake20 said:
So right now I have an AMD Athlon II x4 635 2.90 GHz cpu, with a GTX 460 with 4 GB RAM, and my games aren't running that well. And I want to be able to run Guild Wars 2 on high settings when it comes out.

My question is.... If I upgrade to an AMD Phenom II x4 975 BE, or 980 ect. will that make a difference?

If not, is it worth it to switch over to Intel? Because i don't really want to buy a new motherboard just for a new cpu...

And is AMD releasing any new cpu's in the near future? Ones that can compare to intel i5's and i7's?

Thanks.

If you have a socket AM3+ motherboard and you want to upgrade now, buy the FX-4170. When the next generation of FX CPU's arrives (predictably Q3, probably + a month or two delay), you'll have a decent upgrade path.
Of course, the fastest Intel CPU is faster than the fastest AMD CPU, but you won't feel any difference between a 100€ FX-4170 and 1000€ i7 in 95% of games, because they will both be limited by the GPU, be it your GTX 470 or a 7950.
Score
July 6, 2012 7:11:02 AM

what!!!!!!!!!! you compare between i5 and amd fx 4100 , it is like when comparing between ferrari and mazda rx8 look at this man and you will see the deffernce between 4100 and 2500 k http://www.techspot.com/review/467-skyrim-performance/p... , the fx 4100 perform like athlon , oh my god what a crap performance and you say fx 4100 , second this cpu never go above phenom ii x4 965 when overclocking
Score
a b à CPUs
July 6, 2012 7:24:56 AM

If you want amd get a phenom 965 or higher and overclock to 4.0.
If you want to spend some money but see huge gains as well as be open for any card and not restrict on the cpu the go intel with a 2500k and get a 4.5ghz overclock on lower voltage with higher efficiency and per core performance than any amd cpu can offer.
Score
a b à CPUs
July 6, 2012 7:24:58 AM

amuffin said:
Again, Intel is keeping AMD around. They can easily eliminate them by lowering their prices, but THEY DON'T HAVE to in order to beat them out!

AMD will stick around even if intel does lower it's prices. You just won't see AMD in the enthusiast space anymore - which they're already moving away from. AMD is ahead of Intel in symmetric multiprocessing and low power computing. They're starting to erode Intel's server market share as well.

They realized a little ahead of Intel that CPU processing power needed for gaming has hit a ceiling. As much as I hate it, console games are dictating hardware advancement now, as are HDTV's. The target for the next generation of consoles is still 1080p, just with more effects. PC games won't advance past that because there's more money in developing a console game than a PC game, so the PC titles that pwn console games will be few and far between (e.g. crytek).

It'll be a while before the industry can convince people to buy higher-than-1080p tv's (though there are a couple 4k TV's in R&D right now).

Also, AMD could always lower it's prices in response to Intel doing so.

Sorry about the longwinded off topic comment :) 
Score

Best solution

a b à CPUs
July 6, 2012 3:28:28 PM

Just stop it guys.

The OP asked if it's better to upgrade just his CPU or get an entirely new mobo + CPU (intel). Since he already HAS AN AMD rig, it makes more sense to upgrade his CPU for just a few bucks and put the rest in an even better GPU.

A brand new 965 BE over here is 88€, a 2500k is 196€, he also needs a new mobo, cheapest Z77 one is around 100€, that's a difference of more than 200€. Which is almost a brand new 7850.

... and the performance of an 965BE is enough for modern games.

Note; I'm not saying it won't get beaten by an intel chip, just that it is, in fact, enough. It's still more about a potent GPU than CPU.

Seems like most people commenting on hardware simply have to much money to spent and/or glancing on bechmarks 24/7. :p 

And no I'm not an AMD fanboy. If he had no parts to start with, I'd suggested going Intel.
July 6, 2012 3:38:13 PM

yehia7000 said:
no man , amd is not trusted company as in the past it says that the bulldozer will
outpaces i7 980x and i7 2600k but the real is that it doesnt outperform phenom ii x6 1090t which is 30% slower than i7 980x . amd peldiver will definitely be another fail from amd . trust me

Trust me man I'm from the internet...
Score
a b à CPUs
July 6, 2012 6:43:05 PM

whatsthatnoise said:
Just stop it guys.

The OP asked if it's better to upgrade just his CPU or get an entirely new mobo + CPU (intel). Since he already HAS AN AMD rig, it makes more sense to upgrade his CPU for just a few bucks and put the rest in an even better GPU.

A brand new 965 BE over here is 88€, a 2500k is 196€, he also needs a new mobo, cheapest Z77 one is around 100€, that's a difference of more than 200€. Which is almost a brand new 7850.

... and the performance of an 965BE is enough for modern games.

Note; I'm not saying it won't get beaten by an intel chip, just that it is, in fact, enough. It's still more about a potent GPU than CPU.

Seems like most people commenting on hardware simply have to much money to spent and/or glancing on bechmarks 24/7. :p 

And no I'm not an AMD fanboy. If he had no parts to start with, I'd suggested going Intel.

stop stating facts? i had amd for a long, long time, and then went intel, and it was a great decision. the difference isnt only in benchmarks. I went from a 980 BE@4.2ghz to a 2500k, and the difference is very noticable. I gave an opinion, you have yours, if OP has not much money to spend he can go with a 965BE or higher; if OP has the cash intel is the way to go for gaming.
Score
July 11, 2012 4:07:38 AM

Thank you everybody for your answers! I really appreciate it. I'm gonna choose a best answer now lol
Score
July 11, 2012 4:09:44 AM

Best answer selected by steelsnake20.
Score
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
July 11, 2012 9:36:10 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!