The Pentium Chronicles

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
I have a student worker job at the library and one of my tasks is to record and enter the new books we get, into our computer system. Just ran across this one that some members may be interested.

The Pentium Chronicles

JumpingJack came to mind and a few others. You may or may not have heard of the book already, but I had not seen it and I plan on reading it as the few pages I have read seem well written and more like a novel then a techie history book.

Anyone read the whole thing? I am going to try, but I only have an easy schedule till the end of January, then the full force comes back :)

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
I have a student worker job at the library and one of my tasks is to record and enter the new books we get, into our computer system. Just ran across this one that some members may be interested.

The Pentium Chronicles

JumpingJack came to mind and a few others. You may or may not have heard of the book already, but I had not seen it and I plan on reading it as the few pages I have read seem well written and more like a novel then a techie history book.

Anyone read the whole thing? I am going to try, but I only have an easy schedule till the end of January, then the full force comes back :)

The sub title wouldnt be "The Rise of AMD", would it?

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Looks pretty interesting, maybe ill pick it up, too bad there isnt one about the C2D.

That is what I was thinking. But considering this one came out in 2005, I think the information was slightly ahead of it's time as the author probably wrote about some stuff that wasn't public knowledge yet. If I get a chance I will go check the index and see if anything about Conroe or Core 2 Duo or Allendale are in there.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
I have a funny feeling that people who knew nothing about CPUs (marketing majors) were calling the shots.

I would bet my rig on that fact. My father is a well respected advertising executive for many reasons, but the main reason people like him and trust him (that I have seen) is the fact that he knows as much about the products he is hired to sell to the public as the people who build the products. He markets for a few industrial heating/cooling companies and knows the ins and outs of any air conditioner as well as most mechanics, even though he never had any formal training.

If every advertising exec knew exactly what was going on and what they were selling...this world would be very different.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
I'm going to see if my college's library has it. Luckily ours is one of the best in the nation (supposedly, also shameless brag right there) so I might have a shot of finding it.

edit - It does not, :(

Maybe I'll buy it and donate it.

mpjesse

Splendid
The Pentium M, which they don't mention, is a direct decendant of Tualatin. If anyone remembers, the Tualatin was quickly quashed when the Pentium 4 was released even though it performed better and consumed less power.

I remember the enthusiast community desperately trying to get their hands on that CPU when it was released because of the overclockablility. But, like what was stated eariler, it was quashed because intel had invested so much in the P4.

Here's a brief history on it from wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_III#Tualatin

For anyone wanting to know the true origins of the C2D, start with Tualatin. It was truly way ahead of its time.