Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • HDMI
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
January 16, 2012 6:29:11 PM

Sorry if this should be placed under the CPU section, but I felt it was more of a graphics question.
I just hooked my new pc up via HDMI to my tv. I am using the integrated intel graphics on my i5 2500k. I've got everything fitting correctly on the tv @ 1920x1080. I had my laptop hooked up previously with VGA @ 1366x768, and it looked WAY better than my new pc does with HDMI @ 1920x1080. When I set my new pc to 1366x768, everything fits, buts its way too big and nothing is sharp/crisp. I have a 1920x1080 image as my background, and that looks fantastic, but the text is very blurry. I've changed the DPI which makes things look better, but still not as good as my old laptop did @ 1366x768. HD video, and images look fine though. I plan to upgrade to discreet graphics, but just don't have the money right now as I already spent what I could afford to on the rest of the PC. Also, I have hooked up my ps3 via the same HDMI cable and TV port as well, and it looks perfect @ 1920x1080.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can fix this problem? I only have an HDMI output as for now, so that's the only option I have right now.

Thank so much for any help!

More about : blurry text intel 3000 graphics hdmi

a b U Graphics card
January 16, 2012 7:38:57 PM

Have you tried running clear type?

Did you make sure your TV's setting is set to "computer" or "digital image" as some TV's have this setting.

Edit: Also sometimes the TV's colors are oversaturated (settings too high) - to give it a better effect for movies and such - have you tried turning down the brightness, and or if your TV allows it the RGB aspect?
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
January 16, 2012 7:42:06 PM

Chainzsaw said:
Have you tried running clear type?

Did you make sure your TV's setting is set to "computer" or "digital image" as some TV's have this setting.

Clear Type is running. I can't find any options like this on my TV. I have looked for stuff like 1x1 pixel mapping and "just scan" but nothing. I have a lower end Vizio that is a few years old, so I guess it is possible that I don't have such options.

Thanks for your reply. I just can't seem to get any where with this. The screen is usable, but it just frustrates me knowing that it should/could look better.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 16, 2012 7:55:31 PM

ALright try these out:

Type shadows in your run command.

Open up "Adjust the appearance and performance of windows"

Now under visual effects, try enabling or disabling the following, try one at a time:

Smooth edges of screen fonts

Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop

Show shadows under windows

I have also read that updating your drivers to the latest ones can also fix the issue (although only for some people).

Edit: Also try running your color calibrator , type the following into your run command "Calibrate display color" and go through the steps.
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
January 16, 2012 8:12:39 PM

Chainzsaw said:
ALright try these out:

Type shadows in your run command.

Open up "Adjust the appearance and performance of windows"

Now under visual effects, try enabling or disabling the following, try one at a time:

Smooth edges of screen fonts

Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop

Show shadows under windows

I have also read that updating your drivers to the latest ones can also fix the issue (although only for some people).

Edit: Also try running your color calibrator , type the following into your run command "Calibrate display color" and go through the steps.

I tried enabling and disabling what you said in the "appearance and performance of windows" , but no dice. I played around with the other check boxes there also but nothing made any difference.
I have the most current drivers. I also went through the color calibration, which did help the overall picture look better (thank you) but it didn't fix the text problem.

It's very weird, because Vizio says that the native resolution is 1366x768, but my computer says that 1280x720 is the native resolution, but I've managed to get 1920x1080 looking good (other than the text). I've read that this might be why the text is messed up, not running at native resolution.

Also, could someone please explain what 'native resolution' means. As I said, I have my PS3 hooked up to this at 1080p and everything looks fine, text included. I don't understand why the native 1366x768 tv can do the ps3 at 1920x1080, but not the pc at 1920x1080.

Thank again!

m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 16, 2012 8:21:14 PM

Odd that your TV can even accept 1080P if it does not natively support 1080P.

Native resolution means that say a LCD/TV can display something at a certain resolution.

For example, you have a TV with a native resolution of 1920x1080P, if you set it above or below the "native" resolution, it will most likely not look good, or have some other issues (it might even display non supported resolution).

As for your PS3 looking fine - well it's got such old hardware that even PS3's do not output games to 1080P, it "upconverts" the resolution of games, as for blu rays - it can do 1080P natively since blu ray movies do not require the horsepower of a modern video game. Most PS3 and Xbox 360 games have a native resolution of 720P (which is slightly less than 1366x768) which could account for why the PS3 "looks fine".

What exact TV do you have?
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
January 16, 2012 8:31:13 PM

Chainzsaw said:
Odd that your TV can even accept 1080P if it does not natively support 1080P.

Native resolution means that say a LCD/TV can display something at a certain resolution.

For example, you have a TV with a native resolution of 1920x1080P, if you set it above or below the "native" resolution, it will most likely not look good, or have some other issues (it might even display non supported resolution).

As for your PS3 looking fine - well it's got such old hardware that even PS3's do not output games to 1080P, it "upconverts" the resolution of games, as for blu rays - it can do 1080P natively since blu ray movies do not require the horsepower of a modern video game. Most PS3 and Xbox 360 games have a native resolution of 720P (which is slightly less than 1366x768) which could account for why the PS3 "looks fine".

What exact TV do you have?

Ahhh I see, about the ps3. I have a Vizio VX32L [http://www.vizio.com/vx32lhdtv10a.html]. It's an older one, but up until now it has worked great for my needs.

Manual: [http://vizio.com/documents/downloads/hdtv/VX32L/Manual....]
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 16, 2012 8:33:30 PM

You will want to run at the native resolution of 1366x768, the reason the PS3 looks fine is because the interface is designed to be readable even at 480p.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 16, 2012 8:41:21 PM

It is possible that the bad text could be due to your "low" native resolution of 1366 x 768.

If you find otherwise, let us know!
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
January 16, 2012 8:52:40 PM

fb39ca4 said:
You will want to run at the native resolution of 1366x768, the reason the PS3 looks fine is because the interface is designed to be readable even at 480p.

When I run it at 1366x768, the edges go off the screen, and my pc tells me that 1280x720 is the recommended resolution. However, when I use my laptop VGA out, it runs great at 1366x768. When I set the pc to 1280x720, everything is too big and the text is still fuzzy!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 16, 2012 9:37:21 PM

You may have to play around with the image settings on the TV then. Are you sure it is a 768p screen and not a 720p?
m
l
!