Sign in with
Your question
Closed

PCI Graphics card for dell optiplex 380 SFF

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 16, 2012 6:33:48 PM

Help Please
I need a Video card to fit a SFF Optiplex 380. resolution needs to be ran at 1900 x 1080. DVI or HDMI VGA, Doesn't matter Although I doubt VGA would go this high ?? A fairly inexpensive one will do (around $100)

I found this one http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/VisionTek-Radeon-HD-43...

I think it will work but not sure . I have not dealt with this stuff. Usually use whatever comes with the box. I searched the forum but wasn't able to find anything.

Help is appreciated

Tom
a c 181 U Graphics card
January 17, 2012 3:21:28 AM

I don't see why it wouldn't work I had a dell Optiples 320 and I had a GT 220 in it. and it worked just fine. That card is not much different than the one you are trying to use. Good luck to ya
Score
a c 112 U Graphics card
January 17, 2012 3:38:50 AM

As long as you are not planning to game on it(or want to game at the lowest settings you can). The 4350(I have used that card @ 1920 x 1200 over VGA :)  ) be should fine.

I am not sure why that card is so expensive. Picked up an Asus one for under 40(Use it with media center. then replaced it with a 5770 for some games, now back to it to save power.). It is low profile as well, but it IS 2 slots tall(passive).

Seems older cards just get more costly.

Some cards here, Just watch the higher end stuff unless you have the power supply for it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
Score
Related resources
January 17, 2012 12:02:11 PM

Thanks Nuke for the reply.

I am in a heavy Industrial plant so we usually ( at least in my part of the plant) don't usually use many graphics. The best I could get out of the Optiplex was 1280 x 1024. It's in a cabinet under a desk in a rather nasty place so I didn't open it or Boot it when I added a 24" monitor.

The reason the card is expensive is due to the industrial suppliers we must go through due to purchasing rules. They don't mind charging more for many things :cry:  . Due to limited resources we don't always make the best deals. But we do know we can depend on the vendors to deliver most of the time. I guess that is worth something. Its hard to explain but that is just the way it is for me.

Personally I love New Egg I use them for my personal stuff all the time.

I will look for the cards you recommend they cost much less. Maybe I can find one from one of our suppliers.

Cheers
Score

Best solution

a c 112 U Graphics card
January 17, 2012 1:48:59 PM

You should re-boot the computer or it may not detect the new screen(more so if it is over VGA)

4350 @ 1920 x 1200, so yeah, it works.

Also had the same screen years back pushing the same resolution on a Geforce 4 MX :)  , but that was not too god under media center @ that screen resolution

Even old cards should do that resolution.

If you do chance the card, please ensure the computer actually has the PCI-E slot needed. Many older systems will still have good old AGP(like that Geforce 4MX).
January 17, 2012 2:20:48 PM

It did go to 1920 x 1080 after I booted. I was in a hurry yesterday and didn't think about it. Its W7 and auto-adjusted when restarted.
I think I need a vacation. Not multiplexing like i used to :sleep: 

Thanks again
Score
a c 112 U Graphics card
January 17, 2012 3:28:21 PM

Problem solved for free :) 
Score
January 17, 2012 4:07:42 PM

Best answer selected by Slabrat.
Score
!