Upgrade to 560ti SLI or wait?

idiotwithagun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2007
Hey guys I have currently had this dilemma for the past week and I am not entirely sure what to do. I purchased a single 560ti a few months ago and have been thoroughly pleased with the performance. I am looking to upgrade to SLI. My PSU can handle it (1000W) but I have a few problems.

My single card already takes up two slots and I have a wireless network card connected and a soundblaster sound card also connected. If you couldn't tell, I have no more room for another pci slot to do SLI. I would have to remove either the sound card or the wireless adapter. I am currently testing out a USB network adapter and it seems to be doing just as good as the pci network card. Would there be a noticeable difference in sound quality/performance without the sound card?

The other problem is that I am not entirely sure about the future releases of nvidia and cannot decide whether it would be beneficial to wait and upgrade later or just upgrade now (there is a MIR for $30 currently). Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Well Im in the same boat as you my friend, other than the whole sound card part, ive been gaming off wireless adapter (Cisco AE1000) and hardly ever have drop outs. Now another thing to consider is you CPU gonna be bottle necked by SLI. Some CPU's perform better without bottle necks on a high end single card than SLI. i have been using onboard sound on my Sabertooth 990FX and don't have any issues with it. but i game with a head set on my head all the time. Kepler won't be out for atleast another 2 maybe 3 months. I did hear a rumor some where of February but dont count on it. Kepler specs that may or may not be legit are looking decent. but i my self wanna see what kepler is doing before i SLI. and think of it this way the GTX 560 TI will come down in price some with kepler's release. Or you can SLI. Sell you cards if you want kepler when it comes. I'd be willing to buy them maybe

idiotwithagun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2007
Totally forgot my specs:
EVGA 790i Ultra SLI
1x EVGA GTX 560ti SC
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 Yorkfield 2.5GHz
4GB DDR3 1600 RAM
Soundblaster Elite Pro Soundcard
Windows 7 Pro
1TB Caviar Black
300GB Raptor

I might just have to upgrade my entire rig, hahah its almost 4 years old!

idiotwithagun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2007

From what you guys are telling me now its changing from a upgrade to SLI to upgrade my whole damn system haha.

ASUS Rampage III + i7 2600K

New question, is it a good time to upgrade or should I wait to upgrade to a new mobo/cpu