Status
Not open for further replies.

pckitty4427

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
I've been having these problems for quite a few days now.

One problem is that every once in a while this happens to my desktop: https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=37f6971f60922495&resid=37F6971F60922495!365&parid=37F6971F60922495!363

I'm also getting a problem with Flight Simulator X. This is how the UI is supposed to look like:
img_uiFS_01.jpg

But this is what mine sometimes looks like: https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=37f6971f60922495&id=37F6971F60922495%21364&sff=1

I also get BSODs saying that there's something wrong with nv4_display.dll
I found a vid on YouTube on how to fix that but it didn't work for me.

I'm using XP SP3 and a GeForce 7950GT with the latest drivers.

Solution

Yes, and while the GPU can take that temperature, it isn't good to run your GPU at that temperature. You probably have dust clogged in the heatsink fins of the GPU & CPU and also the front intake and back exhaust ports. I suggest a can of duster that is approved for use on electronic equipment. Pay attention to those heatsink fins.

Of course there is no guarantee that will fix your problem, but your GPU will love you for it.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You definitely have a video related problem and one that appears to surround the driver. However, sounds like you are current on the Nvidia drivers (please confirm that you are running the latest from nvidia.com). How are your GPU temperatures at idle and under load?

larkspur

Distinguished
Are you monitoring the temperatures of your CPU and GPU? Overheating GPUs can cause artifacts and crashes. Use something like CPUID HWMonitor to make sure you don't have heat issues. Also, if you haven't recently, clean the dust out of your case using canned air.

Bur if your temps are fine then I dunno. Does it require a reboot to make it go back to normal?

pckitty4427

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
My GPU reaches 90C under load. Is that too hot?

The highest temp I've recorded for my CPU is 71C after a few minutes of P95. My CPU is a C2D E6600.

And yes, I'm using the 285.58 driver from www.geforce.com

The problem goes after a reboot.

larkspur

Distinguished

Yes, and while the GPU can take that temperature, it isn't good to run your GPU at that temperature. You probably have dust clogged in the heatsink fins of the GPU & CPU and also the front intake and back exhaust ports. I suggest a can of duster that is approved for use on electronic equipment. Pay attention to those heatsink fins.

Of course there is no guarantee that will fix your problem, but your GPU will love you for it.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.