How should i mount my Power Supply Unit?

mega proto

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Recently I noticed as if the bottom vent of my case was misplaced just like the case in the picture (Not my case)

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x394/WardenPCimg/CaseventforPSUmissplace.png?t=1301593143

I have tried SLI before with two GTX 460 bt failed as it seemed my PSU deprived my second card of air since the fan of the 700 watt PSU and the fan of the GTX 460 were a centemeter or 2 apart. Finding the mesh on the bottom of my case made me wonder if I can mount my PSU there so the fan can face down.

My question is can I mount my PSU so the fan is facing down into the mesh, or do I have to have it facing up and at the end of the case? Also if I can mount it wit the fan facing down, do I need a cover for the back of the case?

bumnut53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
You can only mount a PSU with the fan facing down if there is a vent in the case, you will have to have the fan facing up.

No big deal, the psu fan is an intake fan, the hot air comes out of the back of the PSU and won't make much difference to GPU temperatures. I ran 2 570's like this for a year without any problems.

My case (HAFX) has a vent where you think yours should be. You could always drill a series of holes into the case and make your own vent.

mrclownface

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009

that seems stange,i always face my psu downwards drawing air from the bottom with a dust filter,but my cm storm enforcer case has the vents in the bottom to do this,i have seen alot of systems with it set up in the opposite way,it should work fine i think,but most good cases these days do have vents at the bottom rear

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I'm not sure what you mean by 'mesh' under the PSU. Is there an opening below the PSU mtg for air intake or no? If not...

If your case has 'feet' to raise your PSU up slightly from the bottom of the case, there will be enough space for it to pull air from the neighboring vent with the fan facing down. Air molecules are damn small ;) But that is an odd design if it doesn't have a vented opening under the PSU. (?)

If your case is anything like in the picture you posted then your case is unsuitable for running a multiple graphics card system.

Mounting a bottom mounted PSU with the PSU's intake fan facing upward will definitely result in the problem you've experienced.

You can't mount the PSU with its intake fan facing downward unless you cut a ventilation hole in the bottom of your case to correspond with the PSU's intake fan location otherwise the PSU will be unable to cool itself and will eventually shut down due to thermal protection kicking in.